Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 09:03:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: learning to play EIR/OMG gamestyle  (Read 10694 times)
panzerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: November 03, 2009, 06:10:30 am »

how did u learn to play this game style...did u slug it out getting smashed until u figured out wat u where ment to do and have it finally click how u where ment to play in a way that would bring u victory?

or did u, like i did lose a couple of rounds and then watch some of the replays posted on the site to figure out wat was better strategy and company build...?
i still lose lose at least half my games thats because i am not that great a player, but i have learnt how to use units to the most of there ability.
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 06:15:05 am »

basically the biggest thing is retreating is NOT an option, and that takes almost forever to go over.

in vCoH - "OMG they're gonna beat me, retreat ASAP". Lose no units in a squad if you do it early enough, usually little to no consequence, in 1-2 minutes the unit will probably be back where it was.

in EIR - "OMG they're gonna beat me, i can't do anything!!!".  Either lose the unit by retreating or fight in the hope you'll do some damage.  Major consequences.

Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:19:24 am »

Slugged it out, 2 months, with the most appauling W/L ratio ever seen i believe, 25W/110L if i recall

i learnt all i needed than found WM, Buffed to hell Faction.

Now learning Allies and well past experiences help massively

Generalleutnant of The Reichs Wolves

Nevergetsputonlistguy767
Dnicee Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 06:48:59 am »

hahha, i got smashed...like thunder smashed! My teammates were like: da fuck.... YOU FUCKING NOOB! I WILL NEVER PLAY WITH YOU AGAIN... FUCKING RETARD..omg omg omg turn the pak..sigh...!!!!  Angry...

thats the best way to learn'! but the old ways to teach new players is gone... now its like really really noob friendly. Thats way the new ones dont get as good...like me? Cheesy

shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 07:09:24 am »

All I remember is deleting my account several times because my win loss ratio was actually that terrible

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 07:28:37 am »

All I remember is deleting my account several times because my win loss ratio was actually that terrible

That was yesterday, not that hard to remember.  Tongue Wink

-Wind

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 07:52:31 am »

Took me about a week to get good, i was already good at micro and shit all i needed was to get used to not retreating instantly when suppressed and how to build a decent company (which i learnt from only playing with and against the eir pros at the time), after that was easy mode.

Once you get the basics and know what the current metagame is (so you can build a good company) its all about micro tbh.

IplayForKeeps: if we were an equation
IplayForKeeps: it would be
IplayForKeeps: two = keeps
IplayForKeeps: i only have 1 friend
Mukip Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 08:02:18 am »

I won my first match somehow, I found out that retreating my Rangers caused them to leave the battlefield etc like every noob does (at an inopportune moment) but my Armour Company ally carried the match even with a noob ally such as myself.  I remember when people used to avoid me as an ally, but then I got Air Superiority and so began a lifelong love affair with offmaps.

I was playing with a noob the other day who basically picked up the gist of things after just a couple games and was playing competently on his second match.  He was in vent with a mic, explained what was in his company, listened to advice etc and I enjoyed playing with him because he communicated and asked questions throughout the match.  It helped us to win against two seasoned opponents. 

This made me think that whilst the community needs to take responsibility in training up the new guys, they should be pro-active in learning too.  You don't need to get stomped a 100 times to get good at this mod, you can fast forward to the good times with some straightforward preparation. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:05:19 am by Mukip » Logged
Skaevola Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:10:35 am »

Lost my first 20 games or so straight as axis. Then, switched to allies and somehow improved. (6 sherman with OBM ftw). Along the way got a lot of my allies pissed at me xD.

BradAnderson Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 08:34:41 am »

I found when i started, Eir very easy, i had so little previous Vcoh experiance i didnt know what a pz4 was... I abused some seriously broken shit to learn the basics and eventually improved my game from the. Ranger spam anyone? where bazookas could kill anything and a start of 2 smg's without zookies and 2 zooks alone was unbeatable.
Nijo Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 08:59:25 am »

as mukip said it is the most important thing that you talk to other people in vent so you are able to learn the mechanic fast Wink
Pak88mm Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 11:46:50 am »

First game i played was with Apex so it went well. The hardest part was figuring out the call in system and make proper call ins not just a bunch of 25 pop ones lol. So that took maybe 2-3 games then i pretty much settled in. It wasnt that hard for me after that since i was already a good vCoH player in team games and some what good in 1v1s. I always used to tell people to play 1v1s just to improve your micro and understanding of the game. It makes a huge addition to 2v2 play and you see vast improvements in your gameplay.

Exactly.

There is only so many times you can slaughter Lt Apollo, Rocksitter, and Alwaysloseguy24 before you get bored and fall asleep.

-GamesGuy-

Most Hated player in EiR....Pak88Mm
Pak88mm Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 11:55:06 am »

yup it was pretty common unless you had a 75% win most people wouldnt bother playing along
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 12:12:32 pm »

1st game :
1. No AT start.
2. Was with a newb who also had no AT.
3. 1 Tiger came in and raped us both.
4. I had 2x 2xHowitzer platoons. And then another 1x howitzer platoon.
5. Everything in my coy was 18 pop and above.

Good times xD.

Lost like my first 10 games or so, before I really got good and found my coy(I love you, airborne elite. Love you.).

Good times...

RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 02:04:24 pm »

First game i played was with Apex so it went well. The hardest part was figuring out the call in system and make proper call ins not just a bunch of 25 pop ones lol. So that took maybe 2-3 games then i pretty much settled in. It wasnt that hard for me after that since i was already a good vCoH player in team games and some what good in 1v1s. I always used to tell people to play 1v1s just to improve your micro and understanding of the game. It makes a huge addition to 2v2 play and you see vast improvements in your gameplay.

very true!

i am also a player who started off with no AT in the beginning, that's a death sentence! My W:L was horrible for the first 2 months. Then I finally started getting better.

First things first, read all the guides, we have guides for company builds and such, then, get ventrilo, let people know you are new, and ask for help, people will generally (especially if you are on vent) give you all sorts of advice, such as "OMG do you have AT in your first call in? are your other call ins that aren't your first around 12pop?" that kind of thing. then play a game, watch the replays learn from it.

having an understand of 1v1 as pak said helps a lot, you need to know micro, how the units work. all i ever played was comp stomps for the most part, so coming here was a whole new world, i learned the importance of cover, flanking, properly microing your vehicles, and the more you play and these things become second nature, you can learn harder and harder techniques, such as pushing enemy units out of cover.

You also learn little tricks, like always having  call in of 3 jeeps or bikes to counter snipers, everyone has different sniper counters.

But the most important thing is to learn from your mistakes and improve on them. And knowing that it will take awhile. I'm just now at the point where I feel confident playing against almost any player, and I've been playing for, jeez, since old EIR.

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 02:16:54 pm »

I lost my first 1000 or so games before some ancient voice on ventrilo asked me 'how strong I was'. Ever since then I've turned the tables and even try to do some mentoring myself by asking others the very same question.

Tongue

bbsmith Offline
The Brain and Muscle

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 02:22:43 pm »

I lost my first 1000 or so games before some ancient voice on ventrilo asked me 'how strong I was'. Ever since then I've turned the tables and even try to do some mentoring myself by asking others the very same question.

Tongue

Everyone Lai touches instantly becomes good.

Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 02:51:38 pm »

Play with those units you are comfortable around making pay for themselves, aka spam companies. Once you run into situations/games those units cant solve, expand your company. Gradually you'll include more and more units to solve situations ingame, or learn to use those units you already had differently. Thats one way to adapt to EIRR. Then come on the forums a bitch a lot, and you'll instantly be one of the boys.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 03:02:51 pm »

I joined EIR after reading Smokaz' post on GR, where he specifically said you were GOING to lose your first 10 games, so don't worry about it...and that was pretty much exactly what happened...went like 1-11, then got the hang of it, became more of a 50/50 player for a lil while til I finally figured things out like a week before old EIR ended...

Oh, and I miss the Stacked t4...and old heavy support...

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 03:10:18 pm »

I joined EIR after reading Smokaz' post on GR, where he specifically said you were GOING to lose your first 10 games, so don't worry about it...and that was pretty much exactly what happened...went like 1-11, then got the hang of it, became more of a 50/50 player for a lil while til I finally figured things out like a week before old EIR ended...

Oh, and I miss the Stacked t4...and old heavy support...
Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Heartbreaking!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc