Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 03:23:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek Online - EIR Fleet/Group!  (Read 19911 times)
Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 08:19:53 pm »

oh yea not to mention lag

i bought operationflashpoint dragon rising and get told to get out of every server cuz i dont live in the northern hemisphere  Angry

Generalleutnant of The Reichs Wolves

Nevergetsputonlistguy767
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 09:09:30 pm »

Yeah it is possible, and they have some very unique skills for combat like sending medical teams aboard other friendly ships to deal with horrible losses.

For ships in the game:
http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/stoshiptierchart11.png

Its relatively easy to level up, if you can't put in a lot of time you can still skill up, practically all the quests are open to the public, so you'll always have someone and this game makes you really feel like a captain of a ship that's personal to you, not a throwaway every 5 minutes or something (it's said you're in the tier 0 ship for at least 20 hours before you gain your first class ship).

You can be any race in Star Trek with their respective bonuses OR create your very own race and pick your own attributes and skills, same with your bridge crew somewhat.

Every person is a 'Captain' with a Bridge Crew, and you can pick and choose vessels at will (you are issued one free, stocking up on more will incur a cost for you to hold it as yours).

Congratulations, dear sir...I must say, never before have I seen such precise gunnery displayed. - CrazyWR (on Leaderboard Howitzers)

AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 09:57:49 pm »

Looks like a case of biggest = best for all things.

Will still probably try it, though I hope its in no way like PoBS in space.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:59:34 pm by AmPM » Logged

Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 10:29:57 pm »

I always hated the ship design in Star Trek
DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 11:29:28 pm »

lol space PotBS would be epic fail.

Quote from: fldash on Today at 06:22:34 PM
DISASTER AVERTED... IM A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS!

You have DasNoob who uses the mod as COHTV
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 12:40:28 am »

I've played PotBS and it's nothing like that, its more like an MMO version of the Star Fleet Commander games done in a style that makes it look and feel like the TV show, and much of the 'quest' content makes you feel like you're doing your own Star Trek series anyway.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 12:46:24 am »

Reading over it, a couple things come to mind.

Level based

Consensual PvP

First topic, level based. Ships from prior tiers become less and less useful, this leads to only seeing a few types of ships in late game. Ships are your "body" so to speak, with your Captain being your avatar and the crew adding stats/abilities to it. In addition you can add modules and cargo to your ship to customize it. Change weapons, shields, deflectors, etc. Whether or not this works depends on the scaling of power from one tier to the next, also depends on whether if you lose a ship its gone forever and you have to buy another.

If the ship dies and is lost forever, this can work as balance between cost and effectiveness often meets somewhere below the top end of equipment.

Second Topic, consensual pvp. This is the part that makes me worried, if the majority of the game is going to be NPCing and quests, not matter how they are dressed up, its just grinding. Also, you will only engage with a small portion of the overall community. This is the PoTB syndrome, once PvP became consensual and loss negated during it, then it is boring after a few encounters (WoW, "oh damn, he ganked me, lets respawn, run back and gank him!" over and over).

We'll have to see if its a game that PvP centric people will enjoy or not. Also, I want to gank Lionel so that I can get him to cry in the forums about Klingons being OP.
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 12:50:57 am »

But they are OP!  Grin

Had to look this up, STO is NOT level based, it's a skill based system.

And the higher ship classes won't negate lower ship classes.  They'll have the same amount (depending on ship tier of course, albeit slight) of equipment slots and weapons, with the occasional upgrading granting an extra officer slot if applicable.

Each officer can only bring one skill into the battle, and a higher level ships merely lets you bring a higher ranked single skill (ie. Boarding Parties is a T2 officer skill, while High Yield Photon Torpedoes are a T1 Officer skill).  So even those in the 'lower' ships have a chance, but will be facing just newer tactics, not a super powered version of their current tactics.

Also, the officer themselves level up irrespective of your ship level or class, so a high level officer with a T1 skill could easily beat a T2 officer with low skill (in this example, let's say I have Rank 1 of boarding which recharges ever 5 minutes, while my enemy has Rank 19 Torpedo which decreases his recharge by 90% on torpedoes).  And of course combat skill comes in, so maybe I can outmaneuver and dodge him, relocating power to shields to keep torpedoes off me while I phaser away at him and attempt to board him to cripple his ship, thereby making it easy to hit and damage further with phaser arrays.  Just an example, if it makes any sense? Kind of think of it as doctrine buffs in EIR but can still be countered by play skill, but makes this easier to do with your playstyle (like short fuses reduces cool down of sticky bombs so you can use em more often, but riflemen can still be beaten, etc).

If that doesn't make sense, this is the closest thing I can find in regards to player progression...

http://www.startrekonline.com/player_progression

Got me on the PVP, again I can't say much about it as they haven't fully implemented Klingons in Closed beta and are saving them for Open.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:03:19 am by lionel23 » Logged
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 01:04:07 am »

However, each tier gives access to more total equipment slots on your ship, meaning a t4-t5 is much much much better than a t2 or t3.

End game will see a host of only the biggest and the best, because there is no reason to use something else.

Its not skill based, skill based means everyone has the same skills and raises those specific skills. Its level based but hidden in between the lines.

Your ability to access skills and ships is dependent on how many XP points you dump into it, going from t1 to t5 ships based on Promotions dependent on....XP!!! While your skill choice becomes more specialized (read as better skills in each area) you also unlock new ships by levelling.

It's level based, just sneaky about it. Smaller ships are outmoded by larger ships completely. Sure, its better to have a T5 and a T2 than just a T5, but its always better to have 2 T5 ships than a mix of anything else.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:07:10 am by AmPM » Logged
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 01:29:54 am »

Just was telling this to AMPM and forgot I closed my window! Argh!

Anyway, ship slots are identical across all ships of that class (science, engineer, tacticals), the only change is the basic ships stats (maybe a ship turns faster, has slightly more HP or power cores) and only at specific tiers are the Officers slots leveled up (the highest ships allow you to use Lvl 3 officer skills, but if you like your level 1 officer skills and like a smaller, more maneuverable ship, not taking the highest ship class isn't going to gimp you).  But if you want to use a Lvl 3 skill, you'll have to make that jump.

You can also own multiple ships and it is possible to own and fly every ship in the game under one captain, though your own captain's innate skills may benefit his ship class more than others (so being a science officer may mean you can jump into an engineer's cruiser ship, and really make use of their sensors and deflector dishes on a slow, cumbersome but very beefy ship platform).

XP is only on officers, which are not tied to any ship and can be transferred in and out.  All officers share an XP pool and switching out any skills purges all XP spent into that officer with no refund (so you have that officer with a Lvl 1 skill maxed out but want to swap another skill... that will mean losing all XP invested into the officer and starting that Lvl 2 or 3 skill from zero, but you do get a more advanced ability).  Also, you can have multiple officers (I believe, again haven't gotten far enough to see if your ship limit is the limit of officers or if you have like a barracks you can stick excess officers on and swap out when you pick different ships).

Also the bigger ships like the T5 Sovereign will be super slow and hard as hell to turn, meaning ships that are speedy and zippy (like the T3 Defiant) can easily make attack runs and stay out of the weapon arcs, which are dependant on weapons.  A cruiser with phasers can defend itself from the side moderately (with a 240 degree arc starting from directly ahead), or be totally helpless if using other weapons (photo torps only have a 45 degree arc from ahead, meaning they would be blind to firing on ships coming in on their side, for example).  So bigger isn't always better, and having played the first first early stages of the game, I can say its very noticeable that slow ships have a hard time bringing weapons to bear (curse you, Miranda class ships!) as opposed to when I play Jodomar who is running a speed build and can basically fly laps around enemy ships and bring what weapons he wants easily.

Again just my experience and example, sorry if I'm not doing a good job of explaining, it's a very unique system for sure which I like.
DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 03:36:21 am »

Going to give it a try then.  Waiting for open beta, any eta?
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 06:51:11 am »

Fileplanet has Closed Beta if you are a member, other than that, no idea when open beta will hit. Pre-order also gets you in. I may do that when I get to AIT if its not released by then.
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 08:22:41 am »

Open beta is this coming Tuesday
Hicks359
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 08:48:29 am »

Lionel has explained pretty much all of the questions brought up in the thread, but i have to elaborate on the fact somebody brought up the Constitution Class.

There will be two different Constitution Class vessels in STO, the one, being a near enough exact replica of the Original Series Constitution to which you can get in certain Pre-Orders. The ship itself is basically a Tier 0 ship for shits n' giggles going through the first ship instead of using the Miranda or Centuar etc. I suppose with hefty upgrades you may be able to get the thing to fight on par with a Tier 1, maybe stand it's ground and have a fighting retreat with a Tier 2 at best.

The other Constitution is the proper Refit which is seen in ST:2-6, but is brought up to modernised standards with the latest technology included in the fleet as standard. This one is a Tier 2 vessel and is a proper main line vessel.

As for your Arguement AMPM, a Tier 4-5 outclassing a Tier 2-3, look at it from an EiRR standpoint. Pound for pound, a Tiger will kick the crap out of an M10 if you stand them face to face. Use the M10's speed and maneuverability combined with your environment, and you stand a fighting chance of doing some damage, or with exceptional micro, winning.
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 09:29:03 am »

Ahh that's a good way of putting it Hicks  Grin
GrinningD Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 10:47:42 am »

Hell yeah sign me up.

I've been interested in this since day one (although when Knights of the Republic comes out I'm almost certainly going over to that)

Anyway, I'll fly any ship so since we have almost no science of cruisers sign me up for one of them, I'll decide which after I've actually played a little...

~GeeDee

"then allied commander sends a message, tiny, small, with a taunting words: 'Noob axis sp0t f0r ur 88 n00b'"

It's better when you kill your own vet! Hide a goliath near your vet 3 units and if anyone comes close BOOM!
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 10:51:04 am »

Cool cool! Added!
Hicks359
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 10:52:51 am »

Oh, and so you know, my first ship of the line i'll be getting my mitts on is a Cruiser, and i'll be powering my way to the Tier 2 Constitution as that thing looks like a sheer beauty.

I also noticed you put me down as a "Sure" for the EiRR fleet. You might want to put me into a section of my own as outside assistance. :p
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 10:59:33 am »

Well just means we'll see you in the game ^^
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »

star wars would be better

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc