Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:40:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to keeping vetted units alive?  (Read 13366 times)
Dragon2008 Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: March 02, 2010, 06:59:41 pm »

Well for the last few games i'v been getting vetted units but then they suddenly die all the time. It probly has something to do with the fact that I throw my vetted units into firefights and don't retreat them. But id like to know so tips/solutions on how to keep my vetted units alive as much as possible and not loose them all the time.

Iv had about 10 different vet 3 units and all of them have died in someway or another. I lost 2 vet 3 squads to a single mortar which obviously i was like "WTF...... how the hell did that f****n happen. Shocked Before anyone ses anything it I didn't loose them at the same time just in the same way. Both of them was at full HP and squad size.

Other vet 3 squads iv had completed ran over by tanks or lost them inside a bren carrier when it blows up. It can become really frustrating when im wasting SP/PP on units when they just die the next game. Cry

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T @ 3.3ghz
RAM: 4GB
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X (EVO)
Graphics Card: ATI HD 6970 2GB
Hard Drive: 1TB
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:02:21 pm »

You just aren't retreating them early, that's wise gameplay.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:03:14 pm »

You're doing it right. Just use vetted units like you would any other unit. Otherwise they actually become a burden

Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 07:05:27 pm »

Retreat them a little earlier.
Have them pop out of the Bren before it dies, retreat when you know that a tank is going to crush them all, when they get down to 1-2 men and become combat ineffective, etc.
At the same time, there's nothing you can do about bad luck (losing two squads to a random mortar's gotta suck..).

Rifle87654: Give me reward points.
Brn4meplz: I'm drunk.
Dragon2008 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:13:18 pm »

Well id love to retreat units when they are about to get crushed or low hp/squad size but its kinda hard when you have 5-6 other units to worry about at the same time. Aswell most of the time it happens in under 1-2 seconds so there is nothing i can do.  Cry

I guess I kinda get abit jelous with all these people with units with plus 400XP and makes me wonder how the hell do they do it. I don't want to have to baby sit my vetted units all the time jus too keep them alive. Cos if I do it could mean the difference between lossing and winning the game. Im not saying I want it easier to keep them alive cos that would mean everyone would have vet and would kinda suck and be pointless then.
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 07:15:51 pm »

to keep units you have to retreat them early or else keep them safe at all times.  Usually if you go behind enemy lines the retreat path is so screwed you'll probably lose half the squad just retreating.

Making sure you always attack from your spawn can also help, It basically uses the same principles as vCoH in terms of retreating and keeping squads alive.

I wouldn't play it too safe though and have 90% of your army survive just because you retreat when there's 3 men in a squad or something like that, remember your vet units generally have more health and thus can survive a lot more.
bbsmith Offline
The Brain and Muscle

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 07:18:25 pm »

Vetted units aren't much better than non vetting units unless your willing to fight to the last man. If your too conservative with them they wont pay off as much as a non vetting unit that you don't care about.

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 08:14:37 pm »

well the thing about vetted units is, they get targeted first, heck i've noticed the cpu even seems to prioritize vet units over non vetted units, so they'll take fire first. One good strat is to use non vetted units to  eat away at the target or be bati and use your vet unit to clean up. but basically, you have to just watch 'em more.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
bayarea510 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 09:13:24 pm »

Having non-vetted unit than vetted is better imo since some people cares about their vet too much and they don't want to risk losing them in a fight so they retreat wayyyyy too early.

00:00:28 [Team] imnotsoisoisoi: they're noobish
00:01:07 [Team] imnotsoisoisoi: this is gonna be gg in 15 mins
00:28:50 [Team] RonnMercy: bring something on
00:29:04 [Team] imnotsoisoisoi: im out
00:29:05 [Team] RonnMercy: ur terrible lol
Gg in 30, half right at least
Blitzen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »

sometimes theres nothing you can do.   I just had a full hp vet 2 pe squad insta gibbed by canister shot... Sad
You wanna keep vet alive, don't use the unit.  Only way

Bullshit, only fags and girls dont like star wars Tongue
Griffith Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 11:18:17 pm »

Or you can take a "meh vet" route since vet takes PP you could be using to upgrade your company. Once you get it there though its just a matter of paying enough attention that you don't get it trapped in a situation it won't win.
If you have a vet unit you don't want to die and its in a situation where it either will be killed or get horribly damaged as you run away, just retreat. Often people lose vet just because they don't withdraw early against overwhelming forces. Why keep your unit sitting there firing when you can see your about to be overrun by multiple squads? Just back off (not retreat) and regroup so you don't lose guys unnecessarily.

Deutschland Uber Alles In Der Welt!
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:35:33 am »

All of those units that have 400+ exp? Yeah, those survive past that bar entirely due to good luck. Heck, my 700+ exp firefly once bounced 8 stug shots in a row at 5 HP before it went offmap ^^.

NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 01:37:46 am »

well the thing about vetted units is, they get targeted first, heck i've noticed the cpu even seems to prioritize vet units over non vetted units, so they'll take fire first. One good strat is to use non vetted units to  eat away at the target or be bati and use your vet unit to clean up. but basically, you have to just watch 'em more.

Interesting- so CPU is a vetwhore? Awsome.

Vet units are...like better tools, they'll break down eventually as fast as a standard tool, it just depends how you use it

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 03:13:43 am »

Don't deploy too much vet on the field if it worries you that it might die. Have "n00b" units screen for your "elites".

Hotkey them and slam T for inf.. as for vetted tanks pull them out at the very end where AT is lighter than at beginning/midgame.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 05:16:58 am »

Rofl, hot key all your vet inf under the same control group for epic mass retreat during emergency.

My tip is: kill the enemy's vet before he kills yours!

bbsmith Offline
The Brain and Muscle

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 05:32:15 am »

Rofl, hot key all your vet inf under the same control group for epic mass retreat during emergency.

On the first sight of trouble?
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 05:36:49 am »

Resource advantages and doctrine abilities before veterancy.
Only get vet on low-risk units for now, spending pps on other units would be a waste
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 05:48:31 am »

It's better when you kill your own vet! Hide a goliath near your vet 3 units and if anyone comes close BOOM!

GrinningD Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 08:33:44 am »

Quoted Baine!

On topic...

I used to have the same problem - everything these guys are telling you is true (especially expendability, I don't know how many Vet 2 / 3 crocs I've thrown away in mad rampages) but it boils down to experience:

1. Learn when to retreat.  Down to 2 / 1 men? Time to go. Inf come up against a micro'd tank with no button / AT / cover? Get out of there! 2 x 4 man vet 3 KCH rampaging towards you across open ground after a nebel / MG pins your boys? What do you think?

2. Learn to use your vet effectively.  Learn to use your vet as you use the rest of your units - correctly. They may be vet 3 airborn with RRs and fireup ready to go but send them off alone and expect them to rape everything they come across then you are just going to have 6 more kills chalked on the side of that wirble. 

3. Don't call them all in at once.  You have 6 vet 2+ units on the field at a time? I'm sure you must have some n00bies who could be on instead. My infantry call ins for example try to have one vetted and one unvetted unit each - vets take the damage, n00bs do the killing. N00bs also do the screening and screaming when it's time to get lost.

4. Don't worry so much about the suckers. Even a vet 3 KT can be double engine immobilized and left helpless with relative ease (and piles of luck, naturally) But you'll get another one. Stupid things like ubersploding mortars happen, and just wait till you run away from that V2 engine noise only to have it drift bang smack into the middle of you falling back force.

5. When in doubt, drive straight at em and burn them all.

"then allied commander sends a message, tiny, small, with a taunting words: 'Noob axis sp0t f0r ur 88 n00b'"

It's better when you kill your own vet! Hide a goliath near your vet 3 units and if anyone comes close BOOM!
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 09:06:18 am »

Only get vet on some of your units, only give your most important units vet, those with higher survivability.

EIR is in some way a war of attrition, if you are not prepared to fight with everything you have till the end , you will loose.

You need most of your units to kill the enemy, not caring if they get out alive afterwards. If you have much vet its the other way around, you are caring more about getting the units out alive instead of doing what they need to do.
You need some units to be really good, mostly elite infantry and tanks, so those are the ones you give the vet. The rest of your army is less important and are there to protect your best units.

In general I wont really give vet to infantry unless they are elite inf. Normal inf will die sooner or later and thats fine.
Mortars are good for vet aswell, MG's not since they will most likely die aswell. So pick the most important units with the highest survivability (tanks). The rest is just fighting battles you can win meaning you have to be less risky, dont rush in but use your weaker unvetted units for that. In the end it all boiles down to having good micro.

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc