Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 09:43:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Guides need to be redone.  (Read 4178 times)
Nimitz Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: June 20, 2010, 12:46:19 pm »

At the moment, they aren't very helpful.

Let me quote:
Quote from: xfire
Nimitz: watch the tutoriak
Nimitz: tutorial
*: I watched
*: it didnt help jack shit
*: "use all ur resourses"
*: oh rly sherlock
*: didnt explain shit

Maybe there should be more ingame footage displayed?
I've played more than one game where a new guy didn't call his guys out before the 60 second mark simply because he didn't understand what to do...

I'm sorry to criticize whoever made it since they didn't get anything in return for it, but it really needs to be done again in a more thorough way.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 12:49:20 pm »

We can't fix stupidity, 99% of the people who do that in game doesn't bother to read them. It has happend to me dozens of time, I always got the same answer.. "oh sry I didn't read them, will do after this game".

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Computer991 Offline
Donator

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:52:53 pm »

Exactly the guides are well written the players who read them are another thing =) You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:00:17 pm »

actually the guides dont explain shit about tactics.
not like they should, but an extra video that focusses on basic tactics only would be most helpful.
Saterek Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »

I'd agree with the OP in that I read the guides and was still very, very confused. It took my several playthroughs to pick it up and I read and watched everything.
CafeMilani Offline
Aloha

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:41:39 pm »

in the end all newbs still need to l2p the mod on themselves

Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 02:11:58 pm »

At the moment, they aren't very helpful.

Let me quote:
Quote from: xfire
Nimitz: watch the tutoriak
Nimitz: tutorial
*: I watched
*: it didnt help jack shit
*: "use all ur resourses"
*: oh rly sherlock
*: didnt explain shit

Maybe there should be more ingame footage displayed?
I've played more than one game where a new guy didn't call his guys out before the 60 second mark simply because he didn't understand what to do...

I'm sorry to criticize whoever made it since they didn't get anything in return for it, but it really needs to be done again in a more thorough way.

At the end of the "playing the game" guide there is a big bolded link that goes to the tutorial video that computer made. It shows absolutely everything and is very self explanitory.

We literally cannot make this any easier for new players other than by holding their hand and doing it ourselves.

actually the guides dont explain shit about tactics.
not like they should, but an extra video that focusses on basic tactics only would be most helpful.

Also, a tactics video would be absolutely useless for new players. You cannot teach someone how to micro, or proper support weapon facing/timing, flanking, battlefield awareness or how to reduce tunnel vision.

For one, this is not verbally explainable in an efficient fashion, secondly, they cannot see my fingers, or the buttons I press, or how my mouse interacts with the game, nor would they understand it.

Also, since every EIRR game is different we cant show them a proper tech tree to follow like in vCoH.

Ex.)What do you do when fighting T2 Wehr defensive medicbunker/gren spam. You go US infantry RHS, get howies and snipers.

We cant do that here. The best we can say is something like, "when the enemy has alot of tanks out, you need to call in AT"

Telling them what to call out is useless because that is entirely reliant on their own judegment/situation/popcap/team assets, etc. all of which must be factored in before a decision can be made.

We can show them how to use abilities correctly, and maybe how to countersnipe/jeep push/ etc., little things, but those videos can only be done in a sterile setting and would not help a player in a real game.

Until a new player learns how to do these things, tactics videos might as well be gibberish.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:21:14 pm by Groundfire » Logged

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »

What killer said

No one can fix stupidity, the tutorials give them the basic info and tips. If they don't understand/care...well...is it the tutorials fault?

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 02:44:19 pm »

What we really need are tutorials that play EiR for the new player. They just take over their computer and mouse and viola!

Problem solved, no more complaints.

-Wind

ps. Next up, tutorials that take over their brains too.

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 02:49:01 pm »

Well, we could take it further and make an in-launcher tutorial for first timers, but the benefit that would bring us over text/video tutorials is not worth the time it would take EIRRmod

Suggestions from new players on improving the guides are always welcome but I'm not sure we can make it significantly easier on them from this point onward. EIRR has a steep learning curve and even with all the tutorials in the world available to them some people will still not fully grasp it at first.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 05:55:48 pm »

The guides need to be *read.

Fixed for you

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Saterek Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 11:10:07 pm »

Well if you want to make it easier the thing that is really needed are games in which a team of high levels with one new player plays another team of high levels with one new person. In that way you have a balanced game and a good environment for new people to learn. Also vent helps. Vent should be required. But that situation above is highly unlikely. It would help though if high level people were more willing to team with news to teach them but I imagine that can also be frustrating.
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 12:05:36 am »

A bigger incentive needs to be given with having a noob on the team I think too, a lot of high level players refuse to play with noobs because they risk much of their vet and get very little reward still (the last 'noob' game I was in I barely made 5 PP worth, but I don't mind playing with them as my company has no vet really to lose).  Playing against say four Lvl9s with say myself as a Lvl9 and two Lvl8s and a Lvl1 noob and all I get is a 10% reroll and 'two extra PP for training the troops' is almost like a slap in the face  Shocked

That's what I think anyways, and also if the new people would get on vent and talk to experienced players and ask for advice, it would be most helpful I think.

Congratulations, dear sir...I must say, never before have I seen such precise gunnery displayed. - CrazyWR (on Leaderboard Howitzers)

Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 04:25:09 am »

Well if you want to make it easier the thing that is really needed are games in which a team of high levels with one new player plays another team of high levels with one new person. In that way you have a balanced game and a good environment for new people to learn. Also vent helps. Vent should be required. But that situation above is highly unlikely. It would help though if high level people were more willing to team with news to teach them but I imagine that can also be frustrating.

Most recent motivating episode for playing with the newbs:

10 mins into game

Newplayer> Sorry guys I have to go, its father's day and my dad is real angry.

*Player drops from game*

*Back in launcher 10 mins later*

Newplayer> Hey  someone join my 2v2
rifle87654 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 04:33:56 am »

10 mins into game

*Player drops from game*

My excuse was piano lesson.
It took me 50 mins.
It was on Tuesday about several weeks before, not fathers day.
And I'm already not a recruit at that time.
It only happened once.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha hahahahah
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha hahahahah
Does he have a problem?
Anyway he's hilarious.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 04:37:45 am »

10 mins into game

*Player drops from game*

My excuse was piano lesson.
It took me 50 mins.
It was on Tuesday about several weeks before, not fathers day.
And I'm already not a recruit at that time.
It only happened once.

Your excuse was a good one.
It was well spent time.
Practise your hands through piano, with the aim of growing stronger hands.
With strong hands, you can dominate your EIRR enemies.
Make your EIRR skills respected.
Luke87654, I am your father.
Grundwaffe Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 04:45:51 am »

I agree with killer to, i read through the whoole tutorials closely.
I think it's a pretty decent tutorial explaining every rule in this game, how it works e.t.c.

Did he have any idea how to continue the steps Tongue?

SublimeHauken - Back from the dead - Since 2007'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc