Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 05:33:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposed Armor Rework  (Read 11862 times)
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« on: October 19, 2010, 01:41:13 am »

As many of you may know, in the 'How to play PE for dummies' thread, I suggested a Mechanized Infantry Support tree for Armored doctrine. Due to the positive responses that received, as well as encouragement from some of the devs, I decided to give my own Armored Doctrine ideas a go.
Here it is:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjOvnhZkt-wldE12dHl3RUU5b25pT2lVeklvRFZEOEE&authkey=CM6vhLYM&hl=en#gid=0
(some of the cells have comments explaining them, so be sure to check those out)

The doctrine is mostly my work, but Salan, Lionel23, AmPm, Heartmann and FraxinusJerichanus all contributed a bit, and have all given it a thumbs up.

It lacks the polish and balance of a finalized doctrine, but the groundwork is definitely there: various specialization trees that suit many different playstyles, abilities that encourage the use of combined arms and various different unit types, specializations that buff units in the correct way without going overboard, trees that are designed with the others in mind (ie if you go a T4/T2/T1, or T3/T3/T1), and unlocks designed to correctly support every tree and playstyle without being overpowered.
I was also sure to avoid any sort of 'I WIN' abilities or buffs.

So, I've gotten positive responses from some of the more well-known members of the community; what do the rest of you think?

Edit: Here it is in Word Processor format, if that's what you'd like:
https://docs0.google.com/document/d/1vKHTVkoHnT5bUiEjd5xO2-QJlLVmM0gRht5dzd-GywE/edit?authkey=CLb_ldEM&hl=en#
(it lacks comments explaining some things, though)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:29:37 am by Illegal_Carrot » Logged

Rifle87654: Give me reward points.
Brn4meplz: I'm drunk.
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:41:41 am »

So, I tried to capture a few key ideas when designing this doc: specialization trees that allow for greatly varied playstyles and company builds, trees that are both balanced with and designed with the other trees in mind, and unlocks that are fun and interesting without being gimmicky or overpowered.

The Anti Blitzkrieg Warfare tree was designed to counter the Blitz. Not the Blitz doctrine, but the actual, real-life Blitzkrieg tactics: speedy attacks, quick assaults, and armored spearheads. This doctrine focuses mostly on being able to rapidly respond to enemy movement, and taking out enemy armor.

The Veteran Tank Crews tree was designed with armored aces in mind: veteran crews whose experience has lead to greater survivability and accuracy on the battlefield. At its core, this tree is about quality over quantity.

The Mechanized Infantry Support tree was, quite obviously, designed with infantry support in mind. It's a break form the conventional 'Armor doctrine = better tanks' trend, and is definitely the most teamwork and support oriented: it highly encourages combined arms tactics, the use of every unit type, and team coordination.

If there's anything you'd like me to explain, or anything you'd like me to go into detail on, feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:12:29 am by Illegal_Carrot » Logged
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:56:45 am »

hey sorry for disturbing you but can you post the other doctrine reworks too or just the page that contain all of the rework?

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 11:50:40 am »

calling it in (4D) is just too complex and too hard to use. doctrine stuff should work basically all the time and not under some weird circumstances.

calliope should be a t3

croc with reload buff doesnt make sense
croc with top hmg is OP

rest looks good, not op, spread out buffs to everything like all the new doctrines look like (even though i dont really like the new approach, its quite boring)
bayarea510 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 04:36:49 pm »

There are some typos there, it's M26 Pershing, not m16. Tongue

00:00:28 [Team] imnotsoisoisoi: they're noobish
00:01:07 [Team] imnotsoisoisoi: this is gonna be gg in 15 mins
00:28:50 [Team] RonnMercy: bring something on
00:29:04 [Team] imnotsoisoisoi: im out
00:29:05 [Team] RonnMercy: ur terrible lol
Gg in 30, half right at least
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 05:18:05 pm »

I don't know what i contributed beyond reading it over for ya, and I am by no means an active 'dev' but its great to see some community work offered as suggestions to the devs, sometimes they will take parts, sometimes they will take chunks sometimes they will take nothing.. but at least its there for them to see and discuss.

Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 05:26:27 pm »

hey sorry for disturbing you but can you post the other doctrine reworks too or just the page that contain all of the rework?
http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php?topic=16388.0

calling it in (4D) is just too complex and too hard to use. doctrine stuff should work basically all the time and not under some weird circumstances.
How is it too complex? Infantry near tank = get buff. No infantry near tank = not get buff.
Tanks get an accuracy bonus, light vehicles get a dodge bonus, and both are not slowed by terrain. Infantry get an accuracy bonus. Not that complicated.
Plus, it's less complicated than most of the buffs in Bob's current Armor rework.
calliope should be a t3
Why? The Calliope has always been a T2 unlock..
croc with reload buff doesnt make sense
Check the comments. It's not a reload buff on the Corc.
"RoF buffed through various means; be it shorter reload, shorter cooldown, increased burst duration, etc."
croc with top hmg is OP
No it isn't? No one really takes Crocs, even despite the cheap repair and awesome Dozer buffs. This will help make them less of a joke.
(even though i dont really like the new approach, its quite boring)
What do you find boring about it?

There are some typos there, it's M26 Pershing, not m16. Tongue
Oops, fixed the typo.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:06:59 pm »

White Phosphorus for T-17s.

No. No.

Just.. That thing isn't coming back.
It isn't.
No.

Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 06:53:41 pm »

I like boobs tbh
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:19:28 pm by Demon767 » Logged

Generalleutnant of The Reichs Wolves

Nevergetsputonlistguy767
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 06:55:06 pm »

White Phosphorus for T-17s.

No. No.

Just.. That thing isn't coming back.
It isn't.
No.
Well, I see a couple of things wrong with that.
Firstly, Bob's Armor rework includes WP, and even has them on M8s. So they're definitely planned on coming back.
Secondly, WP's cost and effectiveness could (and should) be changed  for balance purposes. Just increase the recharge and decrease the duration and it's good.
Third, it would further differentiate the T17 and the M8 armored cars. The T17 with WP (again, so long as it's balanced for cost/effectiveness) would be furthered in it's role as an offensive quick-attack type unit, while the M8 with Smoke would fill more of a general purpose support role.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:03:17 pm by Illegal_Carrot » Logged
Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 07:08:33 pm »

I dont see the need to bring WP back in the first place
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 07:15:41 pm »

Just because it's in the rework now doesn't mean it'll be there once it's done Smiley.

And if anything - WP rounds is something used best in a support role(where ATGs can shoot the stunned tank to death). Whereas the M8 has always been the quick assault kind of unit. But that is semantics, really.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 08:00:06 pm »

ugh.... just thinking about dealing with WP + sticky again gives me the creeps.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 08:03:04 pm »

I don't know what i contributed beyond reading it over for ya, and I am by no means an active 'dev' but its great to see some community work offered as suggestions to the devs, sometimes they will take parts, sometimes they will take chunks sometimes they will take nothing.. but at least its there for them to see and discuss.

Just out of curiosity, can you point out a public suggestion outside of balance issue that was ever used? Cheesy

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 08:35:29 pm »

Heya Illegal, there will be a Doctrine discussion happening tommorow 21st 9pm GMT

Check for the thread that is talking about Armor (soon to be posted) and make notes on what differences etc are that you'd like to discuss.

Cheers =)

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 08:55:52 pm »

Just out of curiosity, can you point out a public suggestion outside of balance issue that was ever used? Cheesy

Hopefully that changes some eh ?
EIRRMod Offline

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 09:09:42 pm »

* Changes to how Supply worked (Individual caps --> Group caps)
* Hard-capping of Heavies / Unique units
* Reduction of Artillery amount/uses in-game
* T17 tweaks

And thats off the top of my head.

Or were you just trying to be smartass?
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 09:32:01 pm »

No I was actually curious. Considering the mass input I feel usually goes into EIRR.

It's interesting to see what changes are directly attributed to the community.

I'm sure there are more
EIRRMod Offline

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 09:33:24 pm »

No I was actually curious. Considering the mass input I feel usually goes into EIRR.

It's interesting to see what changes are directly attributed to the community.
Theres a lot more, Unkn0wn is quite good and filtering through the community discussions and putting forward ideas from within it Wink

I guess we should document it more tbh, but a lot of influence will come from you guys, after all, this mod is for you all =)
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 10:34:10 pm »

Why? The Calliope has always been a T2 unlock..

Firestorm has also always been a T2, even before the drift nerf.
the calliope however is buffed by the doctrine (less recharge & regain maingun)
A fully operating sherman with a barrage that's a bit more useful than a firestorm. how could that be a t2?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc