Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:57:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of Players... Possible fix?  (Read 14061 times)
SX23 Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: November 04, 2010, 09:08:26 pm »

As some of you might have noticed, COH:O has been out since quite a long time now.
I personally know players that switched over from Vanilla for the small-scale persistence offered in the new COH:O model.

Eir:r offers much more, and therefore deserves our attention.
A prolific place to attract new players to EIRR would be a commonly frequented forum, where a good thousands of players sums up to talk about COH:O.
I hereby suggest that we do a little propaganda of our own.

http://www.companyofheroes.com/forums/company-of-heroes-discussion/topics/Europin-Ruins-Reinforcements-Persistency-Mod

This mods deserves much more than the few players it actually can musters.
We can make that change; bump that thread, and post how EIR:R is awesome!!

With Courage shall we Rise,
With Might shall we Fight,
With Glory shall we Stand,
With Honor shall we Falter,
For the Fatherland shall we Prevail.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:15:08 pm »

We are currently in the lul before the shit storm of awesome content. Dont worry, ppl will be back, and i got a whole list in the internal fourms of places and means to PR blitz the pants off of everything possible for when we get the warmap and the doctrine balance patch.

Before we attempt to fully break people away from CoH:O, we need to let them get jaded by the crap sandwich balance it's got. Most CoH:O players are new to the franchise, they dont have the vCoH background or the willingness to break away since CoHO is their first CoH experience. (in general)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:17:45 pm by Groundfire » Logged

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:33:34 am »

COHO is easy, you start it up, search a game, play it, 1v1 aswell.

In EIR you have to first go thru the barrier of trying out a mod, I personally never cared for mods when I still enjoyed the normal game, only after heavy convincing from Cannonball I tried out EIR.

Then you have to go to the site and figure everything out, have to watch all the tutorials.

Register acc on the website, register in the launcher.

Wait hours for a game, or try 1v1 and you might not like the mod as you have only seen 2v2.

Get stomped when you finally get a game.

Play 20 games to somewhat understand the mod and how it works. If you can hold out for that long.
You could also just start up COHO, search a game, and play within 5 min.

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:52:40 am »

Yeah, maybe it's my indepth RTS experience but CoHo is utter shite.

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 04:37:52 am »

We're looking into the possibility of bridging the gap until the release of the doctrine update (somewhere after at the end of november) with some sort of event to keep the playerbase busy Smiley.

Don't worry, with the doctrine update (+reset) in november and the warmap integration in december I'm sure the playerbase is going to boom again. We'll be sure to have a new advertisement campaign ready as well.
ShermanFirefly Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:13:28 am »

Skaffa is right, we should be able to launch the game as soon as we finished making our company and just host games and wait for people in the CoH lobby. This would also solve the problem of new players not showing up in CoH because they simply don't know how to start a game.

I'm just saying something, I don't know if its possible.

FireflyDivision
3rdCondor Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:23:33 am »

Lol COHO != EIR

No tits, but i will bake a cake then eat it in honour of Sir Condor The 3rd
fuck the pgren rifle, fucking dogshit weapon
My beautiful black pussy won
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:38:40 am »

To fix most of that, what we need is a small pop up window "In Launcher tutorial"

Something that gives you basic 1 sentence instructions to prompt you into the right direction. And after you've gone through it once, you can select somewhere to not show it again.

The process isnt that daunting for new players, but we should really be more efficient about it.

That and we really should try to put some effort towards making a "tutorial mission" that you have to play with your first company.

Kinda like hoard mode where the computer randomly sends on a select amount of call ins for a test 1vs1
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:46:23 am by Groundfire » Logged
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 10:02:21 am »

I propose we use WildSolus as a placeholder AI. He's always online and never talks to anyone - perfectly fitting the bill!

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 11:08:42 am »

Skaffa is right, we should be able to launch the game as soon as we finished making our company and just host games and wait for people in the CoH lobby. This would also solve the problem of new players not showing up in CoH because they simply don't know how to start a game.

This is impossible from a coding point of view, sorry.

And yes, in-launcher tutorial + singleplayer practice missions for your company are a superb idea but not really priority at the moment.
Mgallun74 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 11:18:28 am »

I had a copied version of COH, i used to just play offline stuff for a week.. when i was browsing around online i saw this site, thats when i went out and bouth the full version to play this online.. i havent even tried to play vcoh or coh-o because iam know they are just spam fests and sucks fests compared to this, even if i do join a game with much better players its still funner here.

ShermanFirefly Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 11:31:48 am »

^ you pirat!

Yeah, this is a great mod. I usually get bored of mods after a few games (like blitzkrieg, EF, realism and much more) but this mod creates a whole new game which results in me (almost) never getting bored. The only things which are boring me are the long wait times for games because of the lack of players.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 03:32:17 pm »

There is always a player base drop when people know a massive patch is incoming. It won't be long till it's around and the Warmap will literally run itself. Which will solve alot of problems.
ShermanFirefly Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 03:40:04 pm »

A long time ago, like 6 months, there was said that there was going to be a reset very soon. Some people stopped playing to wait for the reset...it never came..

Which new player wants to bother leveling up when there is a reset on the horizon?

Maybe thats one answer?
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 07:17:21 pm »

COHO is easy, you start it up, search a game, play it, 1v1 aswell.

In EIR you have to first go thru the barrier of trying out a mod, I personally never cared for mods when I still enjoyed the normal game, only after heavy convincing from Cannonball I tried out EIR.

Then you have to go to the site and figure everything out, have to watch all the tutorials.

Register acc on the website, register in the launcher.

Wait hours for a game, or try 1v1 and you might not like the mod as you have only seen 2v2.

Get stomped when you finally get a game.

Play 20 games to somewhat understand the mod and how it works. If you can hold out for that long.
You could also just start up COHO, search a game, and play within 5 min.

I dont care what you actually wrote here skaffa.

All I read was "its sad to get stomped".

be a man! if you wanna be a baller @ eirr you have to make noobs afraid of you. it doesnt translate into anything of RL worth, but its the only alternative.

"i am stompmaster!"

"i swing teams by myself"

or failure.. the legend of boobaka and lai or w/e

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 07:28:04 pm »

boo who?

Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »

With a grind less system you may resolve this, but you may replace one small community with another, as those who want that progression leave.

One thing that hurts is the wipes and as i expect there to be a campaign system that is built on regular wipes after a campaign season then i think you may find the community will limit itself.

the better part of roughly 4 years of being part of the mod has shown wipes/intended wipes kill player activity, and kill off some players.

Additionally these lull periods usually see new players come and get the impression the mod is dead, or not active and they leave.

And while "stomping" for want of better word is just how it is,  to be progressively smacked in the face over 20+ times and as a consequence have situations where large swaths of the community dodge games against this person when they are faced with playing on their side, also hurts the player base.

Yes there are new people here that weren't over 12 months ago, but how many have we lost along the way as well, that we could of retained with better consideration around entry level players.

If there is a drive to have the war-map completed it needs to include coding and options for entry level players,  single player scenarios etc.

There was allot of discussion around this middle last year, in DEV about using such map scripts as stonewall or assault to create single player missions.

There was a group of mappers who actually created a range of map based single player missions.

If the more experienced mappers  could find a way to create such a system for maps like RTC and Lambert we could provide 2v2 and 3v3 single player maps, reduce pp and xp gain, offer some type of other incentive.

Unknown showed some capacity when he created a scenario based map last year.  The same application but to EIRR maps and using EIRR companies surely must be an option.

The capacity to do this is there, the will to go and do it with the mappers we have isn't.

sheffer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 08:10:46 pm »

With a grind less system you may resolve this, but you may replace one small community with another, as those who want that progression leave.

may just creat system with usual profiles with standart grind and campaign profiles with "grind less system"?

Senseless and ruthless.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 08:38:26 am »

I know the majority of the regulars shun EIRR right now because of the doctrines, so when the new one's are out they will be back (as usual)

Judging from some of the doctrines, it might even mean the purist axis whores like jinker and aloha comes back
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:55:44 am by Smokaz » Logged
SX23 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 02:19:40 pm »

The problem is that even the "majority" is still an astonishing minority of the coh:o and vcoh player database.
Eirr certainly deserves much more. Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc