Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 10:50:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [AM] Calliope  (Read 10768 times)
pqumsieh Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: January 26, 2011, 07:09:29 pm »

I have used this unit significantly over the past couple of weeks and I have come to question its effectiveness in comparison to its cost (both pop and resource wise). I find that it only becomes useful at vet 3 with the 20% damage boost. Prior to reaching vet 3, it is a significant paper weight.

Even when I fire at a target at medium range there is a significant chance the unit will take minimal casualties. Too many times have units survived almost unscaved when they should have been eliminated. I just feel that it very luck based and even with good positioning and fire tactics it becomes quite difficult to be cost effective.

I have used other forms of indirect fire and they fair much better than this unit. The only time this unit becomes effective is with a T4 that gives it back its main gun; but at 420 fuel it becomes risky trying to use it in combat. A unit should not require a T4 buff to the become cost effective, if this is the case then something might be wrong with the unit itself.

I do not think this unit should be super powerful, so I am not advocating a buff. I do think its population and resource count should be looked at though, some reconsiderations could potentially be made regarding its effectiveness versus its cost.

Common sense is not so common after all.
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 08:01:54 pm »

I'd agree on a small decrease in FU and Pool, but nothing more. Honestly, though, other arty pieces should be brought into line with the Calli, not the other way around.

Rifle87654: Give me reward points.
Brn4meplz: I'm drunk.
pqumsieh Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:08:54 pm »

you feel other pieces are less effective? I guess unlike other mobile arty pieces it has better defensive characteristics; however, I would argue it is less effective on the offensive. I just find other platforms more cost effective and reliable in comparison.

PQ
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:24:12 pm »

That's because other artillery pieces are in artillery focused doctrines like SE and RAC. The calliope sacrifices firepower for armor and it's still very good, far from underpowered.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:19:50 pm »

Actually, I'm saying that other arty pieces should be nerfed to be as costly or cost-efficient as the Calli. Arty should play a smaller role in EiR, putting more focus on front-line units and actual tactics/strategy.

Still, other than some slight tweaks/adjustments, most indirect fire artillery is OK die to their immobility.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:27:50 pm »

Artillery pieces are powerful, they hurt bad, and a couple well microes CHEAP light vehicles can shut them down.

2-3 pumas or armored cars are more then enough to deal with a priest, couple stags m8's, t17's to deal with hummels

and attrition wise, a few pumas are worth sacrificing to kill a priest

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:02 am »

if he has callie close to front lines,what he probably will,and not far back sitting alone,few pumas will die before they kill that callie...
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 03:42:01 am »

If anything at all  pop should be 10 like priest and hummel not 12. Price is fine.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:44:11 am by nugnugx » Logged

Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 03:56:33 am »

Sorry, but I find posts demanding moar tictacs and strategy in EiRR hillarious when people fail to counter simple volks Tongue.

*trollface*

Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 07:27:33 pm »

Sorry, but I find posts demanding moar tictacs and strategy in EiRR hillarious when people fail to counter simple volks Tongue.

*trollface*
But I own Volks spam. Huh
StikUpKid Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 11:17:51 am »

if the calli does actually get a price decrease/buff it should definatley lose the Main gun for Urban survival kit (imho calli with main gun should never have been implemented in the first place) like Spartan said you should be able to get a couple of well-microd pumas behind lines and kill calli but when it has main gun this is almost impossible especially when they are vet 3-those things take alot of hits.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 01:36:07 pm »

if the calli does actually get a price decrease/buff it should definatley lose the Main gun for Urban survival kit (imho calli with main gun should never have been implemented in the first place) like Spartan said you should be able to get a couple of well-microd pumas behind lines and kill calli but when it has main gun this is almost impossible especially when they are vet 3-those things take alot of hits.

Yea, but callies arty is probably the worst arty out there, it can hurt squads, but doesn't really kill till its front line, it really does need that main gun. And its also the only arty that you can block by hiding behind a building.

And before someone says it, no it doesn't own buildings, good half the buildings out there can withstand 2 full barrages from the cally at piont blank.

And how ever else you want to rationalize it, the cally isn't an arty piece, its a sherman 75 with a rocket rack welded on.

Lastly, as you know generally how long its been since a cally has fired, don't bitch when you charge your panther into a cally thats been sitting quite for 3 min, then gets raped by a point blank barrage.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:43:34 pm by Spartan_Marine88 » Logged
3rdCondor Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 02:52:40 pm »

The calliope probably doesn't deserve a price decrease, but it may deserve a pool cost reduction. It's a very effective weapon if used at medium range and can even benefit from a tier 4, which allows it to have an operational main gun. That tier 4 is awesome too because it provides HE rounds for tanks in addition to a main gun added to the calliope! Due to the doctrine setup, players are more likely to feel like they need to go down a specific doctrine path just to use the one unit, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. I think that pool cost would be significant because it would allow players to have more calliope rockets and at guns/snipers/hmgs without significant penalty.

Some may wonder if reducing the pool cost would actually be more dangerous than a price reduction, but I don't think it is at all. A pool cost reduction would allow for players to have more calliopes and/or support weapons. A cost reduction would allow for players to have calliopes and plenty of other vehicles on the battlefield. For this reason I would say that if any change were to be made, it should involve pool cost (to reduce PP restrictions) rather than resource cost (to prevent calliope usage and excessive LV or Medium tank with HE spam).

No tits, but i will bake a cake then eat it in honour of Sir Condor The 3rd
fuck the pgren rifle, fucking dogshit weapon
My beautiful black pussy won
BigDick
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 03:40:28 pm »

calliope is the best artillery unit in the game

not because it kills most or because its range

its because the complete package you get its hard to kill one if its used smart
its much faster than hummels or priests and it got sherman armor that means its reliable penetrated only by tank guns from the front

upgunned pumas can got for its rear and kill it when its more then one but if you compare with hummels or priests it'll escape much more often and survives much longer

thats why a high pop amount is needed because you need to risk a high pop and ressource value of units to kill it
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 06:36:39 pm »

thats why a high pop amount is needed because you need to risk a high pop and ressource value of units to kill it

Never arguing that a very small pop increase wouldn't be reasonable (maybe make it 13-15 pop? but thats with a main gun tbh), but not  a resource increase
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 09:20:45 pm »

calliope is the best artillery unit in the game

not because it kills most or because its range

its because the complete package you get its hard to kill one if its used smart
its much faster than hummels or priests and it got sherman armor that means its reliable penetrated only by tank guns from the front

upgunned pumas can got for its rear and kill it when its more then one but if you compare with hummels or priests it'll escape much more often and survives much longer

finally bd is wrong about something, it doesn't have Sherman armor, it has supply truck armor but it has same health as Sherman. b00m

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 09:24:35 pm »

supply truck critical, not armor, it does have sherman armor lol.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 09:27:27 pm »

yeah, but you still get engine damage almost every time its hit Sad
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 09:30:59 pm »

Because it has supply truck critical (5% chance to receive engine damage at any time from any penetrating shot).....
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 10:39:07 pm »

meh right i always get stuff like that confused as i move between rts's, freakin frustrating that is. but yea the crit table is annoying but its funny, i've ran over mines even tellers and  only take damage lol
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc