Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2024, 07:06:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [AM] Calliope  (Read 10742 times)
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 04:08:25 am »

So BD was right. Cheesy

Rifle87654: Give me reward points.
Brn4meplz: I'm drunk.
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 06:35:47 am »

So BD was right. Cheesy

no he is not, callie is not the best arty

kwiatekkek Offline
okultysta, mistyk, szachista i alpinista.

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 07:10:14 am »

it  used to be tho.
wit its borked vet 2 main gun +10 range
Smiley
now when its  fixed its just  meh....

"L2P" is like a Auswitcz tattoo on your arm, a mark of the survivor.
*cough* Team Lead is Allied bias, just FYI
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 05:40:56 pm »

no he is not, callie is not the best arty
BD said that the Calli has Sherman armor, and that in his opinion the Calli was the best arty piece in the game. He's right on both accounts, as an opinion can never be wrong.

Even still, Tym was only referring to the fact that the Calli has Sherman armor.
smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 06:07:12 pm »

as an opinion can never be wrong.

so Hitler's opinion that jews,gypsys and so on should be exterminated was not wrong? lol
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 07:05:48 pm »

Only if you believe your version of morality as the only possible set of values available.

Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 07:11:35 pm »

Only if you believe your version of morality as the only possible set of values available.

haha i like this guy

Generalleutnant of The Reichs Wolves

Nevergetsputonlistguy767
NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 01:55:48 am »

Lets see.

Calliope has the Sherman armor- which means that any unit that engages it will have harder time destroying it than they have vs any other arty piece. Sherman health allows the thing to take some beating too.

Calliope is a tier 2 unlock: Now to compare this to most other Arty pieces (Excluding nebelwerfer and 25Pdr) it is the cheapest tier unlock arty

Calliope is faster than Hummel and Priest. On top of it it can get Smoke to escape it and eventually has the ability to gain its maingun for extra defence. Only the Priest has a MG on it but it has pretty much very little use.

Calliope shoots a entire area with smaller rockets that penetrate tanks effectively and sprays the whole territory which means it definantly has a chance to damage everything within the area. Unlike Priest and Hummel that rely on the target being completely immobile. If the targets start to move during or before the barrage commences there is a huge chance that the said unit can dodge the artillery barrage. With the spraying you are ensured to damage it if not kill it.

For all these reasons above the Calliope has the highest cost resource and support pool wise.  Lets summarize it: It is mobile, it has good armor and health, it can get a good gun in it. It can also pop smoke. What do I miss? Only the negative part of -5% chance of getting engine dmg is a small price to pay for this piece of artillery.

*MORE ADDED*

To balance the way of the artillery, I recommend bringing ALL Artillery prices up.

Immobile Arty and Mobile arty's difference is so huge. One mobile arty costs twice the ammount of a immobile one which I find silly. They should be brought in line that mobile arty is more expensive than it BUT not twice the ammount of cost. Increasing all arty cost with around 80-100 fuel and some manpower would bring all arty in line with mobile ones. Calliope of course remains as the best piece so it shouldn't get any price increases. Perhaps a slight resource decrease OR pool decrease. I recommend pool decrease.

And when I meant artillery, I didn't mean arty pieces that fire rockets. Only the arty that fires real shells that boom instead of piff and burn
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:03:29 am by NightRain » Logged

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 02:56:16 am »

The Calliope may have Sherman armour but it has Truck criticals. Most Axis weapons that can damage tanks(grenades included) to alot of damage to the Calliope. Not only that but alot of axis weapons can score a Engine damaged from Full Health on the Calliope.

It is silly that most Mobile artillery is exceedingly more expensive then stationary. The defense about it being mobile is mostly irrelevant given how vulnerable it is. That being said Mobile Artillery typically does have a longer longevity on the battlefiled given the prevelance of Offmaps.

Boosting the price of Stationary Artillery hurts it's value quite heavily(most Offmaps can kill or decrew a Howitzer) while lowering the cost of mobile Artillery make it more numerous. We'd have to jump the PP value significantly just to reducel the amount of them.

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 04:08:40 am »

Boosting the price of Stationary Artillery hurts it's value quite heavily(most Offmaps can kill or decrew a Howitzer) while lowering the cost of mobile Artillery make it more numerous. We'd have to jump the PP value significantly just to reducel the amount of them.

Minor Price increase should be in order. Mobile vs Immobile arty has huge price difference. Why buy one Mobile artillery when you can buy two immobile ones in case the first one gets nuked by a offmap?
Firesparks Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 04:58:43 am »

priest and hummel are literally just 105mm on wheels. The mobility is a plus but arguably extras you don't really need if you're good with using sighting to maximize your accuracy with the immobile piece. Some people park their priest/hummel close to the front line so the shell are more accurate and there's less time to dodge.

On the other hand the hummel with incendiary are deadly.

Minor Price increase should be in order. Mobile vs Immobile arty has huge price difference. Why buy one Mobile artillery when you can buy two immobile ones in case the first one gets nuked by a offmap?
unless the 105mm and the 25 pdr are actually overpowered by themselves, we shouldn't forcable raise their price just to make the priest and hummel more attractive.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:07:30 am by Firesparks » Logged

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 05:10:05 am »

I've always felt the Hummel should be cheaper but that also means you gotta nerf the incin barrage ffs. normal hummel barrage = 4 shots, incin = 6.

What if we do just 2? the spread is so huge, 2 would be enough, heck one could be enough tbh but i think 2 is really good and makes it effective yet wont make it OP as it is now.

btw, i want incin callie Cheesy that'd be awesome, axis keep getting more fire, allies need some goodies.  maybe larger aoe.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 05:26:21 am »

Naw Calliope needs Airbusrt Canister shot
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 11:39:35 am »

Naw Calliope needs Airbusrt Canister shot

that could actually look pretty cool with all those rockets being fired.
pqumsieh Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 01:03:29 pm »

Just have a few more thoughts to add to this discussion. We have an argument being presented that Cali's are tougher to kill than other mobile artillery pieces simply because of its armor. While its armor does make it significantly more likely to survive an attack, its low range makes it significantly more likely to be attacked.

Consider this analogy; a gun does 10 damage per shot but fires only once per minute, a second gun does 5 damage per shot but fires twice per minute; is there a different in the amount of damage each gun can do per minute? (Both guns always deal their damage) The answer is no.

That said, yes the Cali has tougher armor, but it also has a reduced range which makes it far more vulnerable than a priest or Hummel who can fire from spawn.

I have used the Hummel and Cali extensively, so I have a good idea of how both work specially in regards to cost effectiveness. There is no doubt in my mind that the Cali is the least cost effective artillery piece in the game.

However, one strong point was made throughout this thread; unlike Priests and Hummel’s the Cali is a T2 unlock. Granted the fact that a T2 ought to be less powerful than a T3, I recommend switching the Cali with "Calling it in" making the Cali a T3 and the latter a T2. Why? First and foremost, have you ever tried to build a company with a Cali and Pershing? The two alone would bring you down over 1000 fuel. In my mind, when building an armor company you make a decision as to whether you prefer a Cali or Pershing, but not both. Hence, make it a T3 along side the Pershing but optimize it so it is a cost effective unit.

Things that can be done: Maintain cost but tweak stats; reduce cost, maintain stats; rework entire unit concept.

Final notes; doctrine unlocks ought to be irrelevant within this discussion. Citing a reference for this statement, when we discussed potential changes to the P4 IST we disregarded doctrine unlocks because it was the basic unit itself in need of work. Same idea applies to the Cali, it should not require a T4 unlock to make it cost effective, that is the bottom line.

PQ

Common sense is not so common after all.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 02:41:23 pm »

The callie is not supposed to be that powerful. When the callie first got the ability use it's main gun (a few patches back) it was way too powerful. There is a reason why they nerfed it after that and it's not really underpowered now. With the T4 it's still an effective artillery and infantry support tank.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
pqumsieh Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 02:46:32 pm »

as you said, with the T4 its an effective artillery and infatnry support tank. It shouldn't require a T4 tbh.

PQ
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 02:54:39 pm »

The callie is not supposed to be that powerful. When the callie first got the ability use it's main gun (a few patches back) it was way too powerful.

Before you keep on with that, it was way too powerful because of a bug that gave the main gun +10 range.

Not to mention the callie can't really run away from anything due to its high chance for engine damage

Also as said before, its the only arty piece that needs to be frontlined to be effective.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:57:04 pm by Spartan_Marine88 » Logged

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 03:10:21 pm »

I don't ever see a Calli on the front line unless you break through to it.

They are always behind a line of units, if not two lines.

Stuka's have the same range, and are much more delicate.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 03:52:24 pm »

You bring up a valid point.
The engine damage thing is kinda silly, no other tanks are that much of a gamble.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc