Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 01:18:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make this more noob friendly  (Read 4546 times)
chefarzt Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: February 08, 2011, 01:29:12 am »

U guys seriously need to make the eir page more noob friendly. Like putting something on the news page with new vent info etc. I helped like 5 guys in the last days to a get a game running and its kinda frustrating.. Vent info on front page was outdated last time i checked and so on.
Just needs a big button saying : Yo im new what can i do ?
Aslo a faq thingie explaining how to get out of stuck 1v1s etc.

And before u tell me we got all this stuff its obvious that peeps seem not to see it.

Most simple thing might be to rearrange the frontpage so the important stuff is more on top as i think most guys just dont scroll down.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:06:38 am by chefarzt » Logged

This community is full of a bunch of mindless idiots with memories like two year olds.

https://www.etsy.com/de/shop/ShitGlitter?ref=l2-shop-header-avatar
I'm not sure what you're so defensive about Tank.
 he makes shab look like a princess giving food to the poor.
cloud234 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 02:10:06 am »

And before u tell me we got all this stuff its obvious that peeps seem not to see it.

Most simple thing might be to rearrange the frontpage so the important stuff is more on top as i think most guys just dont scroll down.

You need a NEW GUY READ HERE button.
NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:47:55 am »

Why make it more noob friendly when the noobs gotta adjust by themselves too? Most people do need that help which means add more Devs and MODS on the ventrilo. I can agree however that the new ventrilo information should be updated.´I also agree that there should be a FAQ section added to the Launcher or at least a mere link. "FAQ" unless there already is one.

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
chefarzt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:21:45 am »

I know that compared to old eir its basicly fool proof atm. BUT. Its still not enough. U can  have the best pr machine in the world running and still loose new guys when they can just get no game running for hours. Always remember they come from coh:o basicly, where u just press a button, wait a minute and get a game.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:29:09 am »

We could have a front page of Poop on a long stick and it'd be easier then old EiR.

The plan is that once the warmap takes shape and works properly we'll finally be able to tie it all together. The current splash screen(after log in to the launcher) is actually really good but new players tend to skip right over it. Those who don't tend to stay. As fantastic a model as EiR is, it's just not the style for some people.

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 07:33:41 am »

We'll never be 'noob friendly enough', I'm afraid. And while we are going to continue our attempts to make the mod more accessible, there's always going to be a number of new players that don't manage to get past the first steps needed to be able to play.

And honestly, I don't think we need to cater to stupid either. If people don't understand or can't be bothered with an already simple system that is, all things considered, quite well documented I don't think they're the type of people we are after anyway.
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:22:17 am »

EIR is noob friendly

it's only not idiot friendly.

This should be considered as EIR IQ test, if someone cannot find a few things by himself he shouldn't even bother.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:24:14 am by nugnugx » Logged

smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:26:26 am »

chefarzt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:30:11 am »

Obviously its idiot friendly otherwise u 2 goofs wouldnt have made it here.
 Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided Kiss Cry

Btw at least update the vent info.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:31:47 am by chefarzt » Logged
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 08:45:37 am »

You now how many noobs see the big TUTORIAL sign and go "meh im too pro for that," and fail?

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
chefarzt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 08:59:00 am »

Fact is the guys i helped out so far where actually pretty ok it just seemed they missed the how do i get in a game stuff. Other shit that happens is peeps try 1v1s first, which is actually a smart move, and then get stuck.
Also regarding the front page i think once people found the eir page theres no need to advertise more, id honestly
move all the tutorial stuff up. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:05:10 am by chefarzt » Logged
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:07:29 am »

More players are always welcome and EIR can certainly need them, so I think that it has to be made as idiot and noob friendly as possible.

Put a big sign/button on the front page as well as in the launcher, 'NEW PLAYERS CLICK HERE', clicking that will lead them to the Get Started forum with all the vids and guides etc. Sometimes people miss it or dont care to look for any starting tips. If they see the big sign they most likely press that. Prolly www.europeinruins.com is the first thing they see, so they rather be guided straight away from there instead of searching the forum themselves. Perhaps they dont care about the forum, just want to try out the mod.

Give them the option to basic standard companies they can select if they just want to try out EIR fast and not spend a lot of time making a company.

Give them an option to play a first test game vs AI (2v2) so they can get used to it. (leo's mod make has AI, right)

A simple pop up in the launcher after all players RTL-ed, saying that one of the players will host a basic game and he should wait till he sees it and join that. Just give that noob/idiot another reminder how to do it. Often you have them not realise how to do it and not show up in the hosted game. All these small things can help.
Some people play COH and just want to try this mod, if they see they have to watch all kinds of vids and make an entire army not knowing how, some might give up. If you want try to keep those players in as well then make it easier/faster for them. Click and play.

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 10:46:16 am »

could it be made,when someone drops from game,that in launcher says that he is OUT,and not you,so you can force the game.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 10:48:54 am »

the intel page records gametime and who has won so the hosted game can simply be closed automatically when the thing reads something wrong.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 11:32:07 am »

When EIRRmod gets some spare time (alot of..) Im going to push for once time through tool tips that you can deselect after you've had the window pop up once.

Hopefully that way we can give them basic instructions in launcher.

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 05:02:44 pm »

Skaffa is right, we need a big red button

Generalleutnant of The Reichs Wolves

Nevergetsputonlistguy767
roflmao Offline
Professional Buttkicker.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 02:33:18 am »

While I agree with the general sentiment of the thread, I think you guys underestimate how much work it is to implement "big red buttons" and to improve the user experience in a meaningful way.
Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 03:26:49 am »

we understand, one step at a time
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc