Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 09:26:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TESTING] (6/8) Rouen  (Read 14228 times)
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:33 pm »

Well after several months and well over a hundred hours of work, I'm pleased (and more than a bit relieved) to say that Rouen (formerly known as Windville) is ready for testing:

(UPDATED as of  7pm EST Time, March 23) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6LLLOJUE

As of right now the map comes with Dawn (default), Night, and Stormy Night atmosphere presets:

Full Map (Dawn):

Dawn:

Stormy Night Pictures:

Stormy Night Streets of Rouen:

Stay tuned for the official release of the betamap for your testing pleasure.

-Wind
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:09:51 pm by TheWindCriesMary » Logged

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 04:55:42 am »

Map is now ready for testing. See OP for download link!

-Wind
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 05:58:21 am »

Test 1: After a 38 minute 3v3 I've scouted out a few areas that definitely need to be opened up. Patching was great, but congestion of rural buildings/hedges makes gameplay confined to 2-3 points.

SGA above has been updated.

-Wind
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:58:50 am »

The map is quite good but here is Too Much Shit

I don't think there is any need for so many buildings outside the city. bastion has almost none for example.

This sais most of it but The detail is great and the Pathing for tanks in town is the best i have ever seen But You might want to remove some of the bushes around the churc for the laggs alot for me there and i dont generally lag at all.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:07:45 pm by TheIcelandicManiac » Logged

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:40:21 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys. You were both right, there was too much crap (buildings/hedges outside of city). With that in mind I've gone through some of the trouble spots I noticed during the game and have dramatically opened up several areas. The map should play much better now.

Everyone: please download the new version and test it. Let me know what else you think!

-Wind
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 07:01:05 am »

bugs:
- loading screen image doesn't need a special folder called loading. just place it in the same folder as the rest of the files.
- there is an empty weather file is called 6p_rouen.options.txt in the sga that does nothing
- your weather aps files are called
        { 62009, "ROUEN.aps" },
   { 62018, "ROUNRAIN.aps" },
   { 62006, "ROUENNIGHT.aps" },
and i doubt these are standard vcoh ones. If you made custom aps files they must be added to europe in ruins. possibly you could add them to the sga if you pack everything in the right folder structure.
what you probably want to do is use 2 vcoh ones and 1 custom one that is the default setting when you open the map in WB. to use that setting do something like this: { 62018, "derp" },
- in your .info file modname is called @RelicCOH instead of RelicCoH. no clue how you did that but also fix.
- map_base and map_slots images must be 768x768 px. add alpha channel to the sides of the picture.
- fixed slots spawn numbers on map_slots image are not the same as in the map
- wrecked 88 can be captured. remove

sectoring could be done a bit better as well i think. it seems rather messy and i doubt the way you did the town will work.

there are a lot of groves placed outside the playable area. this will cause lag. replace most of the groves with OOB trees if you need them.

there are some random huge  hills around the map, for example behind the town on the yellow haystack field
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:05:53 am by LeoPhone » Logged
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:55:38 am »

Well, judging by the posts, this map sucks. I guess now we can all refuse to play it in the launcher because at least one person says it sucks.

Perhaps you rushed it........?

The other "shitty" maps we have lacked detail. This map has "so much shit" it is causing problems.
Sectors sucks.
Causes lag.

If we all opened our eyes and realized these are beta maps, then we would all play them to test them. But unfortunately, members of this community will refuse to play your map because of cosmetic issues, or what ever.

Just sayin.....

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 08:28:13 am »

@Leo:

1. Good point about the flak. I'll be removing that tonight after work.

2. In terms of the atmospheres, they are currently functioning (surprising I know). If that changes I'll look into changing them.

3. The @RelicCoh problem has already been fixed. The map is working fine now in-game

4. The map slot/base images are already  768x768 in this version as per your advice. They show up great in-game.

5. The sectoring on the map so far is working surprisngly well. You're right it could probably use some touching up to make it look a little cleaner, but so far the games I've played vs EIR players have yieleded no issues. Even the town's sectors worked well.

6. I'll look into changing the groves around the OOB area

7. The hills are intentional and will be staying. EiR is in need of some heightmap diversity (more like a real landscape)

@Tank:

Map choice in a game must be unanimous -- especially when the opposing team is the one that made the room in COH. Otherwise everyone would just race to COH to be the one to host the room so that they could pick a map to suit their side. Good sportsmanship dictates that all players in a game must agree upon the map being played. Having the power to pick the map as room host makes you more, not less, accountable to the other team.

As for this map, I am thrilled to be in this very early stage of testing. It's now been available for testing for approximately a 4-6 hours, and already I've gotten some great feedback on how to make it even better. I also refuse to cram this map into the launcher until it's been carefully and rigorously fine tuned so that none of the arrogant brutes in our community try to force other people to play it before it has had the amount of time and work required to make it proper put into it.

There are, without a doubt, going to be a lot of things to fix when first realising a map. It would be ludicris to think otherwise, and it's only through a testing process that maps can get better. That is why it's important not to put a map into the launcher until it has had the proper amount of time in bput into it. Groundfire's system is a good one, but maps should have to go through more preliminary testing before they make it to his testing stage. That is not his fault, that is the fault of lazy mapmakers.

Your misguided, clumsy and sad attempt to troll this thread has failed and your comparison is both inaccurate and inapplicable.

This mod has people who aren't afraid to put a huge amount of time into making quality maps, and who are willing to take hard feedbak to improve their map. I am committed to developing this map over a long period of time to hone it down, not to pump out crap in 2 days and then never touch it again.

You have been denied. Try again another time.

-Wind
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:35:46 am by TheWindCriesMary » Logged

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:33:12 am »

Well, judging by the posts, this map sucks. I guess now we can all refuse to play it in the launcher because at least one person says it sucks.

Perhaps you rushed it........?

The other "shitty" maps we have lacked detail. This map has "so much shit" it is causing problems.
Sectors sucks.
Causes lag.

If we all opened our eyes and realized these are beta maps, then we would all play them to test them. But unfortunately, members of this community will refuse to play your map because of cosmetic issues, or what ever.

Just sayin.....

Dude what?
no matter how hard you gonna try you wont beat deadb0lt.
The only problome with all the shit is that there are to many bushes around the church.
The rocks can be quite annoying as they can be used as cover for tanks while 1 side has no to hide their own shit behind.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:35:30 am by TheIcelandicManiac » Logged
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:38:18 am »

Dude what?

Just ignore him. He's a sad and pathetic troll trying to grasp at straws. It's like having an immature fourth-grader who just wants attention starting fights he can't win.

Anyways thanks again for the feedback Icelandic. I've removed a large amount of boulders/trees/hedges/buildings from the map in response to our test earlier today and I'll be looking into removing some of the bushes around the church tonight.

Cheers,
-Wind
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 09:16:20 am »

Wind, I based that bug report on the latest download (uploaded 1.5 hours ago? (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SXLJ5U2T))

the reason why the atmospheres seem to work for you is because you have the atmospheres on your computer and we don't.

that one "hill" (can be more called bump) I named is far from realistic. just rotate the camera and you will see its the height of two tanks stacked on top of each other or something.

and i seriously doubt a single sector for each street in the town will work as well as simply dividing the town in same sized/shaped blocks.

good luck Smiley
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 03:28:16 pm »

Wind, I based that bug report on the latest download (uploaded 1.5 hours ago? (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SXLJ5U2T))

the reason why the atmospheres seem to work for you is because you have the atmospheres on your computer and we don't.

that one "hill" (can be more called bump) I named is far from realistic. just rotate the camera and you will see its the height of two tanks stacked on top of each other or something.

and i seriously doubt a single sector for each street in the town will work as well as simply dividing the town in same sized/shaped blocks.

good luck Smiley

1. Good point about the atmospheres, I'll get on fixing that.

2. The hill is actually a morraine which is actually a realistic thing - its a glacial deposit and they are really common where I live and can grow to be much higher than that one. I really like that hill so for the moment I'm going to keep it. With that being said I get where you're coming from.

3. I'm going to try 1-2 games to see how the town works. You might very well be right I just want to see how it works out in-game.

Thanks for the help as always,
-Wind
Malgoroth Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »

I'm going to take this time to give you big fat assed props on actually making uneven terrain. I get so god dammed tired of flat chested maps.

I'm lookin forward to playing on this one again when you've made the changes. I didn't like it very much tbh on that first run through, but I love the look and the idea behind it. This map could be very badass indeed with the changes you've mentioned.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 04:59:45 pm »

lol mal, hills like that will just create pathing problems. but whatever, its winds map.
Malgoroth Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 05:04:51 pm »

If it's the same hill thing I'm thinking of, my panther backed up onto it, passed a Wehrmacht-marder-wannabe-can't-remember-what-it's-called which was on it's way down through the same path--and neither had any problems.

Of course... it could also be my insane fucking skills at micro which compensated for any pathing problems there may have been.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 05:13:55 pm »

I'm going to take this time to give you big fat assed props on actually making uneven terrain. I get so god dammed tired of flat chested maps.

I'm lookin forward to playing on this one again when you've made the changes. I didn't like it very much tbh on that first run through, but I love the look and the idea behind it. This map could be very badass indeed with the changes you've mentioned.

Hey Mal,

The map got a very hefty overhaul in terms of the open areas.

We just did a 4v4 and every single person in the game said they really liked it so I think you might find the new version a whole lot more appealing.

(of course the development is ongoing, and each game i'm finding 2-3 things to touch up)

Cheers,
-Wind

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 05:15:20 pm »

Hey was i the only one that complained about the lag spike on the churc?
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 05:26:14 pm »

Nah, SX23 also had a problem with it at the start of this game. But then he realized he had his settings on ultra. Once he turned them down the game got a lot better.

But you're not crazy - the church has a lot of objects around it. Building that triangular raised plateau with the concrete platform and the metail railings used a lot of objects. It's also been decorated.

So far 85% of people don't notice it, but I would caution those with slightly less beefy computers to lower their settings a bit from what they would normally play at for a map like Bocage.

-Wind

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 05:28:37 pm »

Yea only if i would not be using a 4 Gigabite, dual Core, nividia Geforce 6800, Computer While on the lowest settings i can put it on I would think the same  Tongue

I can even play most maps on ultra if i would bother but i dont so i can avoyed Lag spikes.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:34:42 pm by TheIcelandicManiac » Logged
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 05:40:01 pm »

should just remove all those objects tbh. people hardly notice it.

what they do notice is the horrible lag.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc