Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:45:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 25, 2024, 04:28:22 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Unit Ideas  (Read 19486 times)
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 11:17:02 am »

Volks, my issue is that everyone insists that more units makes the gameplay more interesting, when in the long term more standard units has the opposite effect.

A reward card unit, that gives you a single use Allied Panther or French Resistance squad of infiltrators with a satchel is interesting and fine.

The idea is to increase the feeling of uniqueness between doctrines/factions, which reduces the feel of a grind since each is essentially different than your other companies. Add in unique, flavorful and niche reward units and the game should pick up again.

My HVAP Armor company is nearly identical to my BAR Infantry company....something is wrong with this picture.

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 11:20:41 am »

Marines are not realistic, rename them to mountain infantry or something.

Not any less realistic than germans winning the war. Or pershings being fielded in Normandy for that matter.  It's 1944 alternate history, which means that if a unit existed at that time it can technically be present in Europe in Ruins. Since Marines will be a warmap unit, there's absolutely no harm in having them around in their current form.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 11:35:33 am »

how are marines not realistic? there were marines in europe, just not a lot.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 11:41:37 am »

What about adding some more axis emplacements?

Special bunkers, it could be just a very good garrisonable building, mortar bunkers, etc.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 11:48:51 am »

Comment on sharpshooter squad. It should use the same mechanic that the firefly uses. Shorter range, longer cooldown/reload.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 12:06:53 pm »

Polish/French/Dutch underground would be more interesting and realistic.
Katusha Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 12:09:48 pm »

What about adding some more axis emplacements?

Special bunkers, it could be just a very good garrisonable building, mortar bunkers, etc.

FSJ can build an outpost (empty 17 pdr emplacement, garrisonable by infantry)

Add to haystacks, etc
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2011, 12:14:13 pm »

guys, we are always looking for ideas. Just remember, there's a limit to what we can do in regards to unit textures, models and abilities. Just brainstorm and try to find something unique.

Right now, we have a minimal set of special infantry units. Personally, I would like to see special infantry units be tailored into "units of renown" like AMPM suggested and designed to be powerful and unique enough that they are a useful asset to your company even if you only get one, like a demi-hero unit.

FSJ can build an outpost (empty 17 pdr emplacement, garrisonable by infantry)

Add to haystacks, etc

We have plenty of static defensive weapons at our disposal, its a matter of whether we would like to use them. With A/D mode comming back, I say yes, but for a long time, the consensus in EIRR development was that emplacements and static weapons are useless so we just wont use them.

This idea should really be re-discussed when we have the capability of adding back in AMPM's old 'Defend the hill' style of mapping where there are only 3-4 captureable sectors on the map and it would really benefit you to have static emplacements for defense puposes.

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2011, 12:18:49 pm »

DOES THAT MEAN FRENCH COUNTRYSIDE IS COMING BACK? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2011, 12:35:16 pm »

RE, hardly needs it, but I think adding the Black Prince as a british reward unit would be freaking awesome.

Basically a churchill with better armor thats pretty slow, but with a 17 POUNDER gun. :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Prince_%28tank%29
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2011, 12:49:39 pm »

I like the idea of the Black Prince being a rare reward unit or something along those lines.

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
RoyalHants Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2011, 12:51:34 pm »

Should be an upgrade for a vet 3 mk 6 tbfh

Yeah calbanes, I mean - some people like smokaz are still yet to win a single game, even though they've been around here for years.

PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2011, 01:30:49 pm »

There were very few and they didn't participate in combat.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2011, 01:32:58 pm »

Being that the entire premise of Europe in Ruins is that you get to re-create WWII, we have always trended to towards the "what if" type of scenarios.

It's why we can get away with having experimental vehicles and stuff. (in small numbers)
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2011, 01:51:05 pm »

It's why we can get away with having experimental vehicles and stuff. (in small numbers)

as its a recreation, nothing is saying that ww2 has to end in 1945, so larger amount of possibly by that date no longer experimental vehicles could be in use

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
RoyalHants Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »

Centurion??
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2011, 02:07:18 pm »

Well we only feasibly extend to vehicles we have models for. Tbh, it just looks tacky when we use placeholders.
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2011, 04:16:45 pm »

New units that graced the late-war period and the drawing boards of the time that I can think of:

M24 Chaffee
Panther II
Comet (already in)
Black Prince (working on stats for it as I speak. Er, type)

My experimental armor knowledge is sorely lacking, but just some off the top of my head. Frankly, the axis is well off with its current array of units; the allies could use new armor on the lighter end of things such as the Chaffee and maybe my M5 Stuart "Rhino".

The americans in particular might like the idea of different versions of the Sherman; the Jumbo is already in, why not the 105mm Sherman, my M4A3E8(76)WVSS Easy Eight Sherman, the earlier M4A3(76)W, and for the british, the M4A4 unit as an unlock for RCA or RSE. The M4A2 Sherman could also be introduced (easy to curve the model, someone just needs to be found to "round out" the current sherman to its earlier form) as an even cheaper alternative to the standard Sherman, albiet with no upgrades aside from a repair kit.

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
Audemed Offline
Donator

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2011, 04:38:36 pm »

Only other sherman I'd care to see would be the E8, TBH.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2011, 04:42:38 pm »

You know the only difference between the Easy 8 and any other 76mm armed Sherman was its suspension right?

Anyway, why should Allies get all sorts of stuff? Why don't Axis need new units too in your opinion?

E-75/KT 2 would be nice. Sturmtiger, Panther 2, Flammpanzer III, Nashorn (on its way as a reward unit already), Maus, Ratte, Dicker Max, Elephant, etc could all be put in.

Personally, I think we have enough options in the light and heavy range.

I still think, uniquely flavored infantry units that are not OMG WTFPWN in a normal firefight are the way to go. French Resistance with Satchels/booby traps, Polish Para's, Romanian and Italian units, Dutch underground, Foreign SS troops, like Wiking. Ghurka, Indian, Japanese American troops would all be cool.

There is sooo much to draw on for units that does not require things that change the dynamics of each side.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc