Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 08:04:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximiliansau  (Read 6283 times)
SickDevildog Offline
Lost In The Sauce
EIR Regular

« on: September 25, 2007, 09:47:58 pm »

Aight, I'm currently working on a map based on a village that is in south Germany right by the border to France. The Village is smack dead beside the Rhine River.

I'm making this thread to get some brainstorming going and to ask for some advice, I'll probably make a similar thread over at relic online to get input from more people since this is is a pretty small community.

It will be an EIR map so you guys opinions count the most.

I had a map started but decided to start from scratch since I got all these new tools and the Holland theme resembles what the German buildings mightve looked like back then.

Darn the image didn't show lemme see if i can fix this.

Sofar I was thinking of making giving the map objective based sectors.

There will be 3 main parts to it:

A Swamp ,village/rural, and a forest area with fields.

I'm not sure about the proportions yet, I got a couple of sketches here in front of me but no scanner. Undecided

Oh, there'll be the Rhine itself in there too, with one main bridge and a couple of make shift bridges, that are indestructible (depending on the sketch).

I'll start scribbling them up in paint and host them later.

Here's a Google earth version of what it looks like today, I'll mark the spots that are gonna be relevant to the map.

Images not showing wtf.

Red=Rural
Blue=Swamps
Green=Fields/Forest

That tack in the middle is where my Grandmas' house is, I dont know how to remove it.

Does anyone know how to add swamp areas, like they had in the first campaign mission where the airborne first drops in? I couldn't find anything about in on the relic wiki.

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:26:22 pm by SickDevildog » Logged

AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 11:33:14 pm »

Low depressions filled with shallow water, add reeds and grasses.

SickDevildog Offline
Lost In The Sauce
EIR Regular

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 01:47:04 am »

Thank you sir.
How low should the depression be? And is there something special I have to do to make them walk/run slower when wading through it?

RANT
I'll devote my time to working on this map since playing COH online is now unbearable. The net code sux, even with everyone in game having a sub 100 ping it lags and eventually crashes I mean WTF!
/RANT
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 06:03:17 am »

Where you gonna put the spawn locationīs?
I am waiting for OF and the extra propes before i get my city in^^.

SickDevildog Offline
Lost In The Sauce
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 06:29:16 am »

I was thinking about spawning one team one one side of the rhine (bottom right), and the other in the top left. The ones starting on the bottom would have a couple of routes to cross the river including the swamps and/or the main bridge.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can merge part of the rhine with the swamp, with the water gradually getting shallower to the point where troops will be able to wade through,
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 12:46:58 pm by SickDevildog » Logged
Days of War Offline
Official Axis Propoganda Minister
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 08:09:36 am »

If I'm not mistaken they walk through water slow, because it's water. No special entity or anything.

So, the focus point is going to be the city?

Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 10:57:34 am »

Yes, negative cover and slowed speed are automatically a characteristic of moving through water.

Thtb, you can get all the new props/WB elements with just the 1.8 gig patch for vCoH.  No OF required (unless you want to play as Brits or PE)

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
SickDevildog Offline
Lost In The Sauce
EIR Regular

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 12:58:59 pm »

Good to go, thanks for the info fellas.
If I'm not mistaken they walk through water slow, because it's water. No special entity or anything.

So, the focus point is going to be the city?
It's a village so it wont be to huge, Maximiliansau actually has a Church in the middle similar to Semois, so that there will definetly be one zone to fight over.

Depending on the size of the village there'll be at least 3 zones within the village, and the rest will be spread around the map.

I'm not sure about the proportions of the Swamp, Fields and Village yet, and I also dont know if it should be a 3v3 or 4v4 map (maybe I'll make one version for each).

What do you guys think would be a good standard size for a 3v3/4v4 map? I dont want there to be to much empty room between zones... The 3v3 version could roughly be the size of Abbevile, only a little wider, what do you think?
SickDevildog Offline
Lost In The Sauce
EIR Regular

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 04:26:20 pm »

Question, is there any way to have the map be straight up and down instead of perpendicular?
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 05:26:37 pm »

Nope, thats all camera angle.

Abbeville is the standard 256x512 I think. 320x512 should be good.
Kolath Offline

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 08:30:14 pm »

Question, is there any way to have the map be straight up and down instead of perpendicular?

If you mean for the purposes of taking a top-down screenshot, then the way to do that is to go under the "file" menu and click "save overhead view" and check the box that says "only playable area."  This will save a vertical image of the map.  There is no way to get perfectly straight down view in game or in WB other than this method.
SickDevildog Offline
Lost In The Sauce
EIR Regular

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 11:15:53 pm »

I will ad another rural part in the S/E part of the map across the Rhine, starting positions would be something like this. The Team that starts on the bottom will be able to either enter the village from the Big ass Rhine Bridge or the swamp to the bottom left.

If they do choose to go left they will meet the German resistance that much quicker.

One more question, how do I rotate objects? Lets say I wand a car facing a certain way, how would I go about doing that?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:24:47 pm by SickDevildog » Logged
Kolath Offline

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 05:11:27 am »

Everything you need to know about using the tools can be found on the relic wiki (http://wiki.relicrank.com/index.php?title=CoH) but the answer to this question is hold shift and drag the cursor left or right.
SickDevildog Offline
Lost In The Sauce
EIR Regular

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 05:31:11 am »

Aight, thanks for the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc