Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 06:23:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown  (Read 27040 times)
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2012, 04:40:58 am »

Spoilers be in that image Heartmann.

Talking about common enemies is cool, but part of the fun of XCOM is finding out things for yourself. For example, I've yet to actually bump into an Ethereal and see what it is capable of.

I know of it's presence because somebody opened their mouth though. -.-'

I mean I know Obama was the first one in EiR to get a card. and tbfh the Race card is pretty OP. but Romney has the K.K.K., those guys seem to camo anywhere. So OP units from both sides.
At the end of the day, however, stormtroopers finally got the anal invasion with a cactus they have richly deserved for years.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2012, 07:19:10 am »

Well to be fair, in the case of the Ethereal it was in the previous game so it's only natural to expect one at some point. If it was a completely new alien that was spoiled, that would indeed take some enjoyment out of the "unknown" element of the game.

On a side note, do psychic soldiers have their own specialization or are they still Assault, Sniper or whatever with a few extra abilities?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:20:35 am by Vermillion_Hawk » Logged

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2012, 07:37:19 am »

Psi is a second skillset on top of the normal one, you still retain whatever skillset you had before.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2012, 08:46:30 am »

Much to my own dismay, I haven't actually played the original XCOM though.

The same would likely apply for a lot of people playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2012, 08:54:43 am »

That's unfortunate then, I suppose that it would take the fun out of it for people who haven't played the first one then.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2012, 03:06:37 pm »

Spoilers be in that image Heartmann.

Talking about common enemies is cool, but part of the fun of XCOM is finding out things for yourself. For example, I've yet to actually bump into an Ethereal and see what it is capable of.

I know of it's presence because somebody opened their mouth though. -.-'
Exactly - I dont like spoilers.

Why dont we have a spoiler insert for posts.... hmmm, looking into that now

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2012, 06:17:09 pm »

I've finally got 5 Colonels and oh man...

Support Colonels. It's like nobody in your squad can die unless they take 20+ damage instantly lol.

Anybody else having trouble keeping Assault guys alive? Mine have a habit of eating long range crits to the face.
Heartmann Offline
Officer of Kindness

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2012, 12:04:55 am »

Aw fuck my bad guys didnt mean to post that spoiler Sad Sorry That would piss me off too Sad

In the basement getting drunk.
It's not really creepy until I show up.............

- I've heard of being an animal in bed but...

- The phallic principle of the Navy Wink
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2012, 03:24:55 pm »

There's my squad of ultimate bad-asses.

EDIT:

I HAVE DONE IT!

Classic Ironman is now complete, putting me in the 0.3% of people to do it.

Fuck me the final mission had me sweating bullets... Poor Desperado didn't make it though. Died a hero's death during combat taking on two enemies at once belting out a ridiculous amount of firepower in close quarters. His sacrifice allowed the rest of the squad to continue on mission which would have otherwise ended there and then if he didn't step up to the task.

*Salute*
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:43:32 pm by Hicks58 » Logged
kwiatekkek Offline
okultysta, mistyk, szachista i alpinista.

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2012, 06:21:03 am »

yay mods are  here !
http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/categories/

"L2P" is like a Auswitcz tattoo on your arm, a mark of the survivor.
*cough* Team Lead is Allied bias, just FYI
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2012, 06:28:25 am »

Yeah, I think I'll be checking out some of those mods.

Should make classic pretty interesting.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »

If you've got a *Lot* of time on your hands, 1 Assault, 2 Snipers, 2 Support and the last member as anything but Sniper. Heavy with HEAT rounds works well for the mechanical encounters.

Use the Assault as point man. High health and lightning reflexes staves off most things thrown at him upon detection.

Set up the Snipers in strong positions with good sight-lines, have the Supporting 3 hovering just behind the Assault as he advances. The tactic is to have the Assault spot the enemy, let the Snipers take their shots, then fall back to your original position and put everybody on overwatch. The enemy will come to you (Sometimes you have to wait them out for a turn or so) and get shredded by reaction fire. Particularly effective in open terrain, but also a viable tactic if you lack the hardware to clear urban environments room by room.

Spot, Snipe, fall back, overwatch. It takes time and effort but I was deployed on 35 missions during my Classic Ironman and didn't fail a single one.

Having 2 or 3 Assaults is a sure fire way to rush any room and clear it in record time before they even get a chance to move. However, if you're unlucky and you either don't get many/any Assaults or lose them early, the above strategy works quite well. If you are *Really* stretched, and can't get a single Assault, using one of your Support class with Sprinter unlocked and some decent armour can work too. In fact, anything but a Sniper can effectively work as point man. Just remember, first action to spot, second action to fall back to original position (Or a bit behind that if possible/need be).
Sachaztan Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2012, 03:38:42 pm »

This is what brought me victory in Ironman Classic.

All the world was united behind me, except the French which didn't exactly come as a surprise Tongue
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:52:16 pm by Sachaztan » Logged

Demon posession is real and it's not funny, it's the creepiest thing you will ever experience.

I would also like to add I watch fox news everyday all day and will continue to watch it while being proud of that fact. I'm sure you enjoy your communist news network just as much.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2012, 03:46:40 pm »

well, that's not a very effective tactic on Impossible though - people are having a hard time with it as they are trying to play with normal tactics where they move forward from spawn and engage at range in a spread out formation, taking pot shots while also closing in. This is bad as the enemy will slaughter you due to better luck and numbers (plus they can all focus on one person at a time).

I agree, that DOES sound like a foolhardy tactic on anything but Normal.

The tactic I described however, is not the one you said above.

Mine revolves around a creeping overwatch advance, with falling back upon first contact and letting them come to you - Into waiting barrels. Overwatch them as they approach and open fire when it cycles back to your turn. If you've laid it out well enough they'll have to dash to get into firing range meaning you've had Overwatch + 1 turn of everybody firing without fear of counter-attack. It's time consuming, but it's probably the safest tactic I've used. I've cleared out large UFO's without ever setting foot past 1 tile in the front door (Bridge not-withstanding, they seem to think it's cosy in there).

Oh and Sach, it's been mentioned at least twice now, spoilers for the love of god. Mission objectives, higher tier aliens and story-line related stuff should be hushed up about.
Sachaztan Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2012, 03:51:17 pm »

Oh and Sach, it's been mentioned at least twice now, spoilers for the love of god. Mission objectives, higher tier aliens and story-line related stuff should be hushed up about.

Doesn't really matter when there's several other pictures just like that one up already.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2012, 03:56:15 pm »

There was *One* which shown off an objective that it probably shouldn't have lol.

Oh anyhow, moar XCOM, less nit-picking.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2012, 04:22:23 pm »

It's funny, that's how I played on classic and ended up with 0 lost missions and only 7 casualties... Agressive strats ftw!
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2012, 01:22:04 am »

Bought it seems like a fun game, tho its taking its time to download off steam im only getting between 100-200 kb/s

this is frustrating, 6 hours and xcom is only 20%
Steams download rate is rather inconsistant

im fluctuating from 23kb/s to 555kb/s
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:46:19 am by XIIcorps » Logged

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2012, 07:00:41 am »

Bought it seems like a fun game, tho its taking its time to download off steam im only getting between 100-200 kb/s

this is frustrating, 6 hours and xcom is only 20%
Steams download rate is rather inconsistant

im fluctuating from 23kb/s to 555kb/s

Go to the Steam tab in the upper left, go to Settings, then click on Downloads + Cloud and make sure the server is somewhere near where you live. This might help in clearing up such issues.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2012, 08:08:06 am »

found the problem, reinstalling steam defaulted the connection speed to 56k modem not DSL/cable speed setting Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc