Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 11:25:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

by Bear
[October 02, 2024, 01:14:57 pm]

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]
Poll
Question: Should Vermillions English Teachers Be Fired?
Yes - 23 (71.9%)
No - 9 (28.1%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teachers  (Read 27351 times)
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 02:39:46 pm »

OSHIT! INB4 HAWK SLAYS US ALL!

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 02:40:59 pm »

damn unknown beat me to it

Pretence and pretense are different spellings of the same word. Pretense is preferred in American English, while pretence is the preferred spelling in most other varieties of English, including British and Australian English. Canadian English (Vermillion is Canadian) generally favors pretence over pretense, but the latter appears about a third of the time.

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
"Seeing Bigdick in his full sado mask attire, David couldn't help but feel a tingle in his special place.."
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 02:42:01 pm »

http://grammarist.com/spelling/pretence-pretense/

You seem to be even more clueless than we could have imagined.

Well I suppose I learned at least one thing today, the other errors are still unacceptable for Wind's evident prodigious skill.

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 02:43:58 pm »

You use far too fancy words for someone who has just discovered there is a difference between British and American English.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 02:45:26 pm »

You use far too fancy words for someone who has just discovered there is a difference between British and American English.

A difference, one which I have evidently overlooked until now.
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 02:50:17 pm »

There is a fuckload of differences between the two
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 02:50:40 pm »

Well shit, I never thought I'd actually contemplate banning someone over non offensive postings.

Incoming offensive posting.

Vermillion, where do you live?
Vermillion, are you Jewish/Jehovah's/Christian traditionalist?

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 02:52:42 pm »

There is a fuckload of differences between the two

What I intended to say was yes, I am well aware of the various differences that exist between the dialects of English, I simply overlooked a singular, minute difference in a word.

Well shit, I never thought I'd actually contemplate banning someone over non offensive postings.

Incoming offensive posting.

Vermillion, where do you live?
Vermillion, are you Jewish/Jehovah's/Christian traditionalist?

You would do well to avoid further making a mockery of yourself.
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 02:54:55 pm »

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 02:56:17 pm »

Well I suppose I learned at least one thing today, the other errors are still unacceptable for Wind's evident prodigious skill.

You pointed out two errors. One was proved to be the result of your own ignorance and you got dragged over the coals before I could even get back here to do it. Now you are left with "one error" not "errors".

But yes, beginning was absolutely misspelled by me. What a ridiculous error for me to make. That is not be being sarcastic, it's an error that should easily be avoided.

See what I just did there? I owned up to an obvious mistake I made. No absurd claims about why I can't possibly be incorrect because of X, Y and Z imaginary qualifications that are only supported by my own unfalsifiable statements. No weird and patently absurd claims about my legion of "professional teachers" who "have all found zero fault with my PERFECT intellect" (despite the fact that anyone can be sure we wouldn't hear of any claims to the contrary if they did, and probably do, exist). No vapid, or clearly transparent attempts to diminish the existence or importance of the mistake. Just simple, direct, owning up to it.

Your grammatical and syntactical errors been isolated and explained. You have been painstakingly shown to be woefully inept at constructing proper sentences, using rhetorical devices properly and making proper use of punctuation like commas. Even though your mistakes were painfully obvious, you've still had someone go through the mind-blowingly tedious process of explaining what even a child knows.

You don't use run-on sentences properly, stylistically or otherwise. You don't use commas properly. Your writing, while it tries to mimic the way you want to speak, is not technically or syntactically accurate. You, at best, have the written capabilities of an ambitious but unskilled high school student.

Also, the best of all:

The SHEER, utter, unbelievable obliviousness that would be required for you (of all people) to make that statement is unfathomable... least of all to a mod. I retract my earlier statement that you are not just unintelligent.

I upgrade it to you perhaps being the most clueless, most absurdly self-delusional person in the history of the world.

I bow before your incredible ability to unintentionally reach seemingly unattainable comedic heights.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:43:37 pm by TheWindCriesMary » Logged

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 02:56:37 pm »

Vermillion when being called out on your English the response isn't to start talking like a tryhard ponce channeling a 19th century lord. You don't have to sound like Shakespeare to have good English.

Katusha Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 03:10:42 pm »

Vermillion's casual portrait:

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 03:13:40 pm »

I should also point out a few other things that should already be painfully obvious to Vermillion. But by this point I've caught on that he's more obstinate than even I give him the credit for.

to embarrass themself (a dual error here)

No, just no. You don't even get effort points on this one. "Embarrass" is the verb, "themself" is a reflexive pronoun and both are used correctly considering the subject of the sentence is "someone".

Maybe you thought it should be "themselves", but you'd be wrong because that would not fit with the original subject: someone. Lazy and uneducated writers often overlook the original subject of a sentence and you've fallen into exactly that problem. Maybe that wasn't why you wrongly thought it was an incorrect sentence, but you'll be disappointed anyway. Go back to the links Spartan sent you and start studying from Kindergarten grammar. In a few years you might be capable of writing properly.

Your sentence is an example of a bad run-on sentence with basic punctuation errors that prevent it from being an example of a grammatically acceptable run-on sentence.

You should have read this sentence a few more times before opening yourself up to ridicule. It's not beautiful, but it's grammatically and syntactically sound. That's what separates it from the mockery of language that you manhandle together every time you sit down and try to write something intelligible.

No A for effort here. Only F for failure.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:16:09 pm by TheWindCriesMary » Logged
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 03:43:53 pm »

It's not beautiful, but it's grammatically and syntactically sound.

Not being beautiful is what initially caused you to begin this petty disupte. Until you show evidence towards the contrary, I stand by my assertion that I have only made breaches of convention.

No, just no. You don't even get effort points on this one. "Embarrass" is the verb, "themself" is a reflexive pronoun and both are used correctly considering the subject of the sentence is "someone".

Maybe you thought it should be "themselves", but you'd be wrong because that would not fit with the original subject: someone. Lazy and uneducated writers often overlook the original subject of a sentence and you've fallen into exactly that problem. Maybe that wasn't why you wrongly thought it was an incorrect sentence, but you'll be disappointed anyway. Go back to the links Spartan sent you and start studying from Kindergarten grammar. In a few years you might be capable of writing properly.

The use of "themself" no longer properly exists in the English language.

I'd refer you here for an educational experience, something you evidently are lacking in.

http://canada.justice.gc.ca/fra/min-dept/pub/legis/n39.html

You pointed out two errors. One was proved to be the result of your own ignorance and you got dragged over the coals before I could even get back here to do it. Now you are left with "one error" not "errors".

But yes, beginning was absolutely misspelled by me. What a ridiculous error for me to make. That is not be being sarcastic, it's an error that should easily be avoided.

See what I just did there? I owned up to an obvious mistake I made. No absurd claims about why I can't possibly be incorrect because of X, Y and Z imaginary qualifications that are only supported by my own unfalsifiable statements. No weird and patently absurd claims about my legion of "professional teachers" who "have all found zero fault with my PERFECT intellect" (despite the fact that anyone can be sure we wouldn't hear of any claims to the contrary if they did, and probably do, exist). No vapid, or clearly transparent attempts to diminish the existence or importance of the mistake. Just simple, direct, owning up to it.

Your grammatical and syntactical errors been isolated and explained. You have been painstakingly shown to be woefully inept at constructing proper sentences, using rhetorical devices properly and making proper use of punctuation like commas. Even though your mistakes were painfully obvious, you've still had someone go through the mind-blowingly tedious process of explaining what even a child knows.

I never did claim to have a perfect intellect, nor did I claim I received no criticism from my teachers and peers. Let it be said that I additionally own up to mistakes I have made, evidenced at least once in this thread. I do believe I even, at one point, admitted my sentence was of poor form in the initial post. At this point you are simply extrapolating what I say in a fairly pathetic and childish attempt to glean some sort of satisfaction from this argument, a banal pursuit which is at this point a source of great amusement to me, hence my statement on mockery. If you believe me to be that oblivious you are more of a dunce than previously assessed.

The fact that you are able to be driven to such "tedium", as you term it, by the simple fact that I posted a sentence in poor form is of priceless entertainment to me.

I'm tempted to post the various grammatical errors in your posts, but I suppose I'll let you puzzle it out.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:47:22 pm by Vermillion_Hawk » Logged
Nug Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 04:01:07 pm »

Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 04:03:11 pm »

I'd refer you here for an educational experience, something you evidently are lacking in.

http://canada.justice.gc.ca/fra/min-dept/pub/legis/n39.html

Incoming direct quote, because Vermillion can now add failing to read to his list of failures.

"In short, although there is some acknowledgement that this form is occasionally used today, informally, and that it may perhaps be a trend to watch, its use does not seem widespread enough to justify advocating it in legislative texts for the time being."

<- most popular poll in eirr history Smiley

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 04:04:33 pm »

Here's another direct quote: "not widely accepted in standard English".

You should likely cease posting, Spartan, since the only things you seem to be able to perform adequately are creating threads for the purpose of flaming and acting as Wind's personal sycophant.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »

Here's another direct quote: "not widely accepted in standard English".

You said not existing and i proved you wrong,  go and cry in your hole little man.

And as to accusing me of Wind's sycophant, well clearly you have never been around when we have a disagreement.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:11:13 pm by Spartan_Marine88 » Logged
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 04:12:04 pm »

You said not existing and i proved you wrong,  go and cry in your hole little man.

kwiatekkek Offline
okultysta, mistyk, szachista i alpinista.

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 04:14:16 pm »

"L2P" is like a Auswitcz tattoo on your arm, a mark of the survivor.
*cough* Team Lead is Allied bias, just FYI
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc