Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:44:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using artillery!  (Read 4844 times)
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« on: November 17, 2012, 06:33:47 pm »

I don't know why we never had a forum topic about this, but I think it would be good for new players, and maybe even veteran players as well.

Please post all your tricks and tips when using arty, I will do the basic lay out and add to it as people put their input.

US

INFANTRY

On map
Howitzer -

Off map
Off-Map Barrage -

AIRBORNE

Off map
Strafing Run -
Bombing Run -

ARMOR

On map
Calliope -

CW

ROYAL ENGINEERS

On map
25 Pounder -
Capt -

Off map
Typhoon Smoke -

ROYAL CANADIAN ARTILLERY

On map
25 Pounder -
Capt -
Priest -

Off map
Air Burst Barrage -
Saturation -

COMMANDOS

On map
25 Pounder -
Capt -

Off map
Typhoon Strike -

WEHRMACHT

DEFENSIVE

On map
88 -
Officer -
Stuka -

Off map
Rocket Barrage -

BLITZKRIEG

Off map
Precision Strike -

TERROR

On map
Fire Storm Nebel -

Off map
V1 -
Firestorm -

PANZER ELITE

TANK DESTROYERS

Off map
AT Rocket (what is it, x-37 or something?)

LUFTWAFFE

Off map
Henchel -

SCORCHED EARTH

On map
Hummel -

Off map
Napalm Strike -

Anti-building Barrage -
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:11:08 pm by RikiRude » Logged

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:41:39 pm »

You know before I started actually adding anything I figure I would post what I felt like I knew and see if people agree.

With the howie, I feel like you need to aim short, the top of the circle just above your intended target because most shells will go too far.

With the calli I feel that you can go the opposite, a little longer because rockets will usually fall a little short.

Strafing run is best used in open areas, such as fields, and the less cover those units have, they more they will be effected. also take into consideration the width of the map.

Bombing run I believe is the most powerful off map, 3 bombs, if they somehow all hit a KT I'm sure it can kill it or almost kill it. Another one that is map dependent. Use on stationary targets if you are on a bigger map.

For the 88 arty, I think it is best when fired slightly short, but most of the time it isn't as accurate as you'd like, so be careful.

Rocket arty comes down fast and hard, and can do damage to everything! A great ability, if dropped on a calli at the start of its firing you can either kill it or do tremendous damage to it.

Officer barrage is great for mortars and atgs, if the enemy isn't paying attention you'll wreck them, and even if they are quick might still lose their stuff. also great on incoming blobs if you can time it right, it'll at least scare them away from their intended target.

Firestorm is great for taking out support weapons over a big area and can still do a bit of damage to tanks and vehicles.

Will add more later!
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:12:25 pm »

Typically i just use the circle and move it so all infantry is in the circle. works great for the calliope

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
Uglysori Offline
EIR Veteran

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:22:38 pm »

I'm confused.  You consider strafing runs artillery but Stukas and Nebels as non-artillery?

Artillery pieces are:

Hummel - Scorched Earth
Priest - RCA
25 lbr - CW
Howitzer - Infantry
Calliope - Armor
Stuka - Defensive
88 w/ barrage ability - Defensive
Lieg? - Defensive
Hotch Stuka - PE
Nebelwerfer - WM

Offmaps are simply different, line of sight requirements for many being a huge mechanics factor

SE offmap are:
Napalm Strike
& Anti-Building barrage is still the middle T2 despite the current tooltip

TD also has guided missles as it's offmap
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:00:58 pm by Uglysori » Logged
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 07:52:35 pm »

I'm confused.  You consider strafing runs artillery but Stukas and Nebels as non-artillery?

Artillery pieces are:

Hummel - Scorched Earth
Priest - RCA
25 lbr - CW
Howitzer - Infantry
Calliope - Armor
Stuka - Defensive
88 w/ barrage ability - Defensive
Lieg? - Defensive
Hotch Stuka - PE

Offmaps are simply different, line of sight requirements for many being a huge mechanics factor

SE offmap are:
Napalm Strike
& Anti-Building barrage is still the middle T2 despite the current tooltip

TD also has guided missles as it's offmap

no im simply a human and forget things  Tongue
Heartmann Offline
Officer of Kindness

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:22:24 pm »

If I'm not mistaken then all arty gains an increased proability of hitting on target when you fire in LoS (line I'd sight) firing into FoW (fog of war) makes shells/rockets land more random and off target

In the basement getting drunk.
It's not really creepy until I show up.............

- I've heard of being an animal in bed but...

- The phallic principle of the Navy Wink
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 08:26:41 pm »

If I'm not mistaken then all arty gains an increased proability of hitting on target when you fire in LoS (line I'd sight) firing into FoW (fog of war) makes shells/rockets land more random and off target

your correct.

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 11:21:49 pm »

My reasoning when using (on map) artillery is to wait for your opponent to let his guard down--he's disengaged from the fight and is healing at his faction-appropriate healing center--which I know the location of in this scenario. He leaves his troops there and focuses on microing other units across the map while his infantry heals--then you nail him with an artillery barrage before he can scroll over, and he has little choice but to retreat or select his troops and sloppily issue a move order towards his spawn, which can end up adding an additional ~30s to the time it takes for him to move them back to the front, finish healing (if needed) and re-engage.

You can also "lead" him by assuming he's moving his infantry from point A to point B in a beeline--not too hard to imagine, since taking the 'long way' in CoH has little if any relevent application, and drive a barrage into his face while he microes other units--if he's selected a massive control group and issued a long move order, he might not be paying attention to where his guys are going--I myself usually pre place infantry in what I feel are ideal defensive positions; "You go here, you here, you here, and you're all in cover, nice and cozy, ready to repel whatever comes your way. Now I can micro my vehicles accordingly while you sit tight and hold the fort with some AT". Rarely do I change this placement or alter the path my infantry are going to take to get there unless I get attacked before I reach my objective, hence why my play always seems so passive and downright bad--I'm a bit like Hitler you might say, I'm great at planning things out, but when the defecation hits the oscillation I tend to go "Dafuq?" and panic for a second trying to figure out wtf to do.

With lighter artillery (I'm classifying all manner of mortars as such), I tend to barrage across a wide area as often as I can, basically blindly firing at random areas hoping someone is unlucky enough to walk into the barrage--this is in contrast to what I see most players do, which is just bombard the same empty area over and over for minutes on end.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:25:23 pm by TheVolskinator » Logged

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 11:26:05 pm »

American 105's I almost always exclusively used to hit paks since every pak destroyed is a big win for allies since axis usually can't play with too many of them yet they are still really important when they are needed.

Also I'd not fire on something I thought was "ready" to move out of the way.

When you're not taking out AT assets supression has always been the dealbreaker, if a axis inf unit is supressed and is taking arty, it seems to me he always retreats unless he's some suicidal jerk Wink

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ick312 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 03:04:14 am »

Scorched Earth
Hummel: get middle t4 chemical fire.
now you have 2 strategies open:

1. kill ALL support weapons - 3 secure kills (+the atg/mg/mortar) is better than a failed shot on the blob

2. try to hit the blob, well use VAMPIRES to observe it, ask if theres some Luftwaffeplayer with a cloaked kettenkrad or a defense player with omnisciene.
Observe how the player moves his blobs. Does he go straight? Does he zickzack? or back and forward? With that knowledge you can estimate where u have to shoot, to hit him.

HUMMEL PROTECTION
in general, KEEP ALWAYS A SHREK WITH YOUR HUMMEL. build wire and roadblocks on the flanks. me personal i am also using napalm strike to protect my hummel.

NAPALM STRIKE
my favorite offmap! 2 ways of using it
1. going for the kill
the rockets of napalm strike cover a large area, AND the first rockets come down very early and far away from the red smoke, so even a player that moves (but in the wrong direction) can be hit.
If you want to go for the kill, than do it while enemy forces are in narrow passages, they wont get out alive.

2. firewall
HHHHHmmmmm
Hummel says: "oh hi airborne blob, with assymetric warfare
well, thats a scenario where i use most of my napalm strikes. A blob came somehow behind our lines. you have nothing there to push it away. What to do?
yep
buy time,
by putting the napalmstrike between the blob and your hummel. and run
KEEP IN MIND, this a usage if you failed, to build up protection, or you failed at the observation of the frontline. (or the enemy is simple airborne)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:06:16 am by ick312 » Logged

I don't know Wind, that whole 21 virgins thing kinda peaked my interest a little .......
From fucking kids to fucking christ, jesus heartmann. Just stop already you filthy monster, you are only making it worse
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 04:59:39 am »

whenever you use a 105, and you don't have line of sight currently on the  target, FIRE SHORT.  About 1/3 to 1/2 of a screen shorter than you think.  The first shot almost always overshoots, as well as a couple more after that.  If you do have LOS, one shot will hit your target out of the first 2, but it will still overfire, so perhaps aim short then as well. 

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 06:02:40 am »

Off map
Henchel - troll around with upgunned hotch, block enemy tanks and then drop henchel ontop of it and wait.

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 08:09:13 am »

That's because they suck.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc