Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:07:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairs  (Read 4651 times)
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« on: June 16, 2018, 12:31:00 pm »

Am I the only one who finds the current repair system a bit sloppy and unintuitive? I can understand why you'd want a pop cost attached to the repair function, but is there no better way to go about implementing repairs? Right now you need to buy a seperate unit, a seperate ability, and then ingame you need to activate "repairs" before they will actually be able to repair something. The moment they or the vehicle move the repair is irreversibly lost and when the ability runs out it looks like theyre still repairing, making it super confusing.

If we want to the mod to be accessible to new players with the steam release, these are the kind of hurdles that only steepen the learning curve. I remember my first game I basically had a Pershing sitting idle for 10 minutes because I was under the impresion it was still repairing.

Is there no way for a tank self repair to temporarily increase your population cap? Or is there no more straightforward way we can go about having repairs in the game?
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 01:39:06 pm »

while a tank is being repaired, it should be unable to fire or move. In the old system the tank was disabled.
I liked the old system more aswell. Maybe we can add a temporary pop increase when u press repair?

Also, bad analogy ground, My vegetables never pissed on my ego when I decided they defeated me and gave up on dessert.
Tachibana Offline
NotADev

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:31:25 pm »

The moment they or the vehicle move the repair is irreversibly lost

For the sake of accuracy, this is not true. You can resume the repair any time during the duration of the activation.

It's like saying "i can understand his concerns that fire breathing dragons live in far away lands"
americans dont dodge wars.
Quote from: Trapfabricator
Literally, The only thing less likely than this is zombie hitler becoming prime minister of israel
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 04:07:39 pm »

still hoping for OMG repairs

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
Dauntless07 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 04:54:03 pm »

I agree the current system is unintuitive. I made the same mistake my first game with the system. I think the problem with the old were doctrine abilities that let vehicles move, or even shoot, while repairing. Not to say I don’t understand why they were there at the time, but it was incredibly OP. The new system isn’t bad persay, the engineers are quite overpriced in terms of manpower, but they’re at least useful for recrewing heavy weapons after repairing. I’m fine with going back to the old self-repair system, but I don’t mind them as it stands.
Batgirl Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 01:44:16 am »

I dont like the current repair system either. One thing that it causes is that you almost never repair vehicles, just tanks. Also you can repair a supertank easily 5 times making it frustrating for allies - the fixed amount of repairs from old times allowed you to force big tanks out if you managed to hurt them enough times. The OMG wear and tear would fix this, however that was confusing too - you would never know how much health your tank would actually have and how many hits it could take. However it did fix the heavies problem of returning and wasnt really too bad either. I did grow used to the old repair system from eirr though and think it was better than the current one. Also I dont like in a team game that you have to get your own repairmen on the field not being able to use your allies' - pretty unintuitive!
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 04:55:14 am »

I'm not sure why nobody repairs vehicles with the the new system. I see double or triple or quad squads at once; everyone is so damn impatient with their repairs. You're paying MP and pop for reps in order to make them a choice rather than a 50-MU-to-fully-rep-given.

We don't allow allies to share repairs because that would elevate Axis heavies to unkillable status. Just think about how dumb the ally-repairing Berge was. You could play like a donkey and blindly charge at (and kill) ATGs by the dozen because you *knew* that Bergeboi would fix you up.

Sharing repairs might feel like good teamplay, but it creates sloppy play and terrible gameplay for the enemy team.

For those asking for wet 'n tear: no. Not only is it a pain in the ass, Axis-biased system (HP matters less when you can bounce numerous enemy shells), but it requires scar to implement as far as I can tell. I don't know how to code SCAR; unless one of you wants to try learning, it's not happening.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:37:36 am by TheVolskinator » Logged

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 05:47:17 am »

I repaired a kettenkrad with a berg the other day, no idea what you on about, my blokes.

Repair your LVs, they'll win you games.

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 02:06:30 pm »

I don't think wear and tear is a solution anyway because that too is terribly unintuitive. I do think there must be a better way to go about implementing repairs from what we have currently however.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 04:07:48 am »

The old system was fine, what broke it was move and shoot tanks.

In the old system it was a double edged sword, you either had that unit sit taking up pop repairing or pulled it off field.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:11:43 am by XIIcorps » Logged

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 02:24:24 am »

The old system was fine, what broke it was move and shoot tanks.

In the old system it was a double edged sword, you either had that unit sit taking up pop repairing or pulled it off field.
This
Dauntless07 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 05:37:44 pm »

This
I have to agree. The old system was fair and balanced. You could repair your vehicle, and have it sitting there defenseless and taking up pop you could use to bring on other units, or you could pull it off and call in other reinforcements. Lots of risk reward to weigh up, (how damaged are you comfortable taking before using your vehicle's only repair? In the other hand, any vehicle repairing now can shoot, or simply run away from an attacker little consequence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc