Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:13:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Map, MCP, and OCP Guidelines:  (Read 10173 times)
Ucross Offline
Honoured Member

« on: March 09, 2008, 12:28:44 pm »

General Map
A few things maps should be IMO:

1) Reasonably small.  Better to side on making a map smaller than bigger as bigger maps mean more capping and less fighting.  Hill 331 is too large because the front is across a square turned like a diamond.  This makes the front too large.  However, if it was a 4v4 it would be much more appropriate.   It is often better if you are making a 2v2 to make it a 3v3, or if you are making a 3v3 to make it a 4v4.  This is because you can still play a 2v2 on a 3v3 map, and most mappers make maps too large.  Infact, it might be reasonable to make all maps 4v4s and let the public choose to play a 2v2 on it.  So point is make the maps smaller, but keep the number of players who can play on it to large.  A 2v2 should be medium, a 3v3 should be large, and a 4v4 should be 'just' extra large IMO.

2) Shot blocking walls.  Open maps make combat a lot less interesting and add a lot less strategy.

3) Multiple pathways to attack/defend that cannot be accessed easily between each other.  Rectangular maps offer limited pathways, smaller fronts, and easy access to all pathways for the defenders.  This makes gameplay more predictable, is good for not having to cap too much, and defense very strong.  Square maps offer more pathways, huge fronts, and long distances between pathways making it hard for the defense to cover them all in response to attacks.  This makes gameplay more unpredictable, players become unable to defend all aspect of the front at once, and defense and attack more even.  I believe the best is somewhere in the middle with a wide rectangle.

4) Sector sizes.  Sectors should not be too small.  An ideal number of sectors for a map is 4-8 across depending upon shape and size.  A very important point is that if players are testing your map and find that there is too much capping and not enough fighting you need to INCREASE your sector size.

5) Sector layout.  Sectors should not sneak across shot blocking and pathway blocking areas such as hedges so that it is possible to capture those sectors from the other side of a hedge.  If they do go over a hedge or something they should include the entire next sector.  Sectors should also be 50/50 in the middle of the map so that one side does not have more than them.  Sectors should also be ideal shapes so that when you capture a sector you don't have to walk across the entire map to get to the edge of the sector to clear out the defense.

MCP (Map Controlled Popcap)

Narrow rectangular maps increase the significance of MCP
Square maps decrease the significance of MCP
There should always be an odd number of sectors
The sectors should be spread out evenly (50/50) from the center line of the map.
Sectors should not total more than 4-8 across a map (2v2 = 4, 3v3 = 6, 4v4 = 8).  Note that these are maximums and less are more ideal.  If you have too many sectors across it becomes easy for attackers to sneak past defenders without attacking.  This is not ideal
Sectors should not sneak 'just past' hedge lines and other uncrossable barriers, they should either end at the hedge or go right across to the next hedge.
Sectors should be realtiviely uniform in shape (good = square, bad = long rectangle or tenticles)

OCP (Objective Controlled Popcap)

There should be only 3 or 5 objectives per map (not including spawn objectives).  Map makers can vary this, but realise any extra objectives you place have to be defended.  This makes it very difficult for players to defend all of their areas and if you make it too difficult the map is more ideally played with one big blob moving quickly from objective to objective overwhelming defenses. 

KEY POINT: The more objectives you have the less defense you will be able to place at each.

Important note: To make MCP LESS harsh add more sectors at player spawns.

Remember: because in OCP there is no supply line you can drop airborne ANYWHERE and take an objective.  It is NOT feasible to expect players to defend 12 objectives.  That would mean they would need 12 hmgs to do so and even then they could easily be taken by airborne or a small assault squad.

There should always be an odd number of objectives
The objectives should be spread out evenly from the center line of the map.
The objectives should be around more defensive and key locations.
The objectives size should be limited to the defensive/key location.
The objectives should be spread out to encourage map use.
Multiple objectives can be used if they are made close enough to each other to make defense of both of them at the same time easier.
You can make certain sectors more 'primary' objectives by making the defensive area a dual ring sector or 2-3 sectors together.

To enable OCP in your map you need to create a text file called [yourmapname].scar.  Note do NOT put this in the [yourmapname]_id.scar file.  In the scar file paste the following code and then you're done!

Code:
function WinConditionOverride()
     EIR_SupplyLines = 0
end
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:51:34 pm by Unkn0wn » Logged
Thtb-Ally Offline
The German Guy on the Ally side?
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:02:15 am »

If i wanted to make a OCP-Map i woud just have to throw 3 territorys at the objectivs (curch, crashed plane and city center in this case) and NO other territorys and it woud work?

Will there be a option to chance game mode to ocp or will it be map based?

fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:03:55 am »

It's map based.  You should probably throw down some sectors by the spawn points too otherwise MCP may be too effective.
Thtb-Ally Offline
The German Guy on the Ally side?
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:07:36 am »

That´s great. I think about getting on my 3rd map and makeing a ocp based 2v2, starting next week. What do i have to do (then)?
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 12:05:01 pm »

See first post, thtb.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 12:41:10 pm »

*bump*
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 12:46:25 pm »

No. Not gonna happen.

DerangedGerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 03:52:11 pm »

Yes, OCP is map based. You have to create and save a scar code file inside the .sga, the which Ucross so helpfully provided.

OCP is the territory style of Convent, River Bend, and Ardenne Valley. To my knowledge, no other map uses this territory configuration.

Yes, OCP means that sectors to not need to connect.

And yes, Thtb, try reading the top post. It might help a bit.

Proud mapper for both OMG and EIR.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 09:04:56 pm »

When/if I get around to it, French Countryside will likely change to OCP.

DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 09:06:14 pm »

Please for the love of God make this happen.  I really miss those epic 4v4.

Quote from: fldash on Today at 06:22:34 PM
DISASTER AVERTED... IM A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS!

You have DasNoob who uses the mod as COHTV
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 01:49:14 am »

french country side would be great as a 4v4. Actually i think a lot of 4v4's that are really big other than Abbey winter, would be better off that way

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:30:54 am »

I actually Miss French Countryside.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc