Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 01:25:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Final] Westfalen (6)  (Read 12541 times)
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 01:37:30 pm »

Confusing replay.

First of all, that xoscarface used the repair exploit on his tiger the whole time, maybe he doesnt even know that its an exploit / just wonders sometimes why not all of his pios are repairing.. Roll Eyes

Also, you should bring more than one mortar to a siege / on map in the first 30 minutes to avoid the need of assaulting an hmg head on with precious kch (for example)  Wink

About the map:

I saw what you mean with the sectors giving you trouble. The allies had their troubles too. At one point in the late game they "missed" a narrow sector in the town for quite a while and would have outcapped you way sooner.

I will look into this and perhaps merge the 3 sectors in the center of the town into 2, split in the middle (90° to the previous alignment) together with a slight change in the general sector layout to avoid people ignoring the town center and just cap on the norther flank and head on.

Or greatly reduce the sector count and make it OCP... hmmmm have to think about it.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 02:00:40 pm »

Haha, yeah I knew we needed more mortars.  Apparently I was the only one with many indirect fire weapons.  I didn't even realize XO was using an exploit on the tiger! Shocked  Being a defensive player heavy on infantry, I'm not even sure I know what the exploit is?  Is it repairing with multiple pios at a time?

I think either switching to OCP or tweaking the sectors could work well.  Overall it was a very different experience having the urban area surrounded by open areas.  Very neat.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Dbozbrown Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 09:38:23 pm »

Personally, I have a problem with the sectors, but I prefer the sectors to be more like abbyville and less like Ardenvalley.  The difference between Westfallen and Arden is that on Arden, I find it easier to remember and physically see what needs to be defended because of natural landmarks(IE, the Hills), and the white lines around sectors on the tactical map.  I think you should tweak these sectors alittle to make it easier for someone who doesnt play the map often(like me).

Other than the sectors, I think the map is great.  Because of the size, I think it would make a good 4 v 4 map if you feel like making it both.  I love the detail and the negative cover on the roads makes it very stratigic since you have to find different routes around, even if volks are the only thing watching the road.

Keep it up, good map.
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 04:12:55 am »

Since my last game on it yesterday im thinking about giving the map the option for a 4v4 and finally make the sector count more even on the whole map.

Allthough it will definatly reduce the amount of tense street battles in the middle (my favorite part), the town center really has a bit too much impact on the win conditions now. Take two roads (3-4 sectors) and it goes from 'we cant hold our ground' to 'they cant hold their ground'.

If I could get 7 players for a 4v4 testmatch on thursday before releasing it to the public? That would be great.
Preferably europeans who have time in the late evening. Wont find time to slam it together / play before than I think.

If it works out well I will call it final and release it as soon as i have a better loading screen too and tweaked the weather options again / changed it to transitioning effects. (Maybe you still wanna give it a shot skunker? NIS Screen? Would be gratefull as I dont have much time for this stuff atm)
jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 04:50:45 am »

Aw dang, a 4v4?

I really like this map the way it is now. So far all the games I've played on it have been victories, and all the sectors seem to be well placed. I mean, sometimes its hard to tell exactly which sectors are where, but I think that's just cause the map isn't played as often as others so not many people have them memorized yet. It's not like you can't just move your infantry squad over a few meters though..

But hey, its your map, not mine!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:52:16 am by jackmccrack » Logged

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
salan
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 01:08:47 pm »

my only thought was you needed 1 or 2 more sectors in the big open field to flank THAT side, not the chateu side.

that big open field isn't useful for much and any time someone spends over there they are dieing to mcp, completely against the current game point.  you added a flanking spot but only in the backside of the dense city..  needs it on both sides if anything.
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 01:18:34 pm »

Ya, i was thinking to make that field a sector again and add some more interesting stuff and cover on it, also "move" some town sectors to the chateau side (number whise) and make it a 3v3/4v4.
salan
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 01:20:42 pm »

just try to balance it and watch for your control sectors.. IE you only need 2 sectors to gain control and bleed because they are essential links.

the more links and flanking the better (less chokes)  causes a much more dynamic game.
Kolath Offline

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 06:49:01 am »

Did you get the test game last night?  What is the status?
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 09:06:19 am »

status is im still at work at the moment  Embarrassed

plans for the weekend so far: SLEEP!

well i guess ill get a version out this weekend, but i still have to run around for work tomorrow. mid next week i may have some more free time but we will see. working in an project which is behind the timetable, for an it company thats making software for the banks in all northern germany. some pressure cause of somewhat large amounts of money involved for the company
Kolath Offline

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 11:03:56 am »

Haha, well don't feel any pressure from us.  I know how it is when a work project crops up.  Good luck with that, mate.
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 12:15:20 pm »

Uploading new version to filefront now

some slight changes and the spoken about change to the sector layout to make increase speed in gameplay and slightly broaden the battlefield

screenshots of changes attached (marked the one sector white because they are all green in that area in the WB)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 12:27:24 pm »

Fighting from left to right really gives you the feeling off being "not in the flow" in this map. You know how the streets never to where your going and that there is always something right in the way?

Just my 2 cents

Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 12:29:54 pm »

Äh, auf deutsch bitte weil ich grad echt nicht raffe was du meinst

Und falls du das meinst was ich denke schau dir den 2ten screeni an, ich hab den dicken Block rausgenommen um von links nach rechts mehr Bewegungsmöglichkeiten an der Stelle zu erlauben
BoDyBaG2224TLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 04:08:11 pm »

Let's see if I understand that post ^^^Hmmmm, angy German is what I'm getting from it Wink

Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 04:14:01 pm »

I couldnt understand what he means so I asked him to tell me in german  Grin
Forefall Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 04:31:51 pm »

Just played it, was a good map.
BoDyBaG2224TLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 04:38:12 pm »

He he, If it makes you feel better I had to read his post a few times to understand what he's talking about. Cheesy
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 03:55:19 pm »

If someone has a replay of a Westfalen match where some screenshot worthy scenes occured, (preverably with a nice big german tank on it Wink ) snapshot it with the minimum interface / unit colors and so on visible and you have a chance of delivering the basis for the new, final loading screen by posting it here  Smiley

Otherwise ill have to crush some folks on Westfalen over and over until I get a sweet one  Grin
(APEX!! Need your KT for photoshooting  Tongue )
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc