Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 12:58:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No, no, no  (Read 21769 times)
DerangedFerret Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2008, 03:30:43 pm »

Sadly, many Americans ARE idiots. Most of us aren't though. Thank God I don't know a single person THAT stupid, though. I'd bash my head against the wall.

And they WERE all rednecks! Can't you tell? Listen to them and how racist they are!
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2008, 03:32:58 pm »

I figure the same % of people in every country are idiots, some just have a few more facts memorized.

Dr.Nick2 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2008, 03:59:57 pm »

I don't know anyone THAT stupid, it just doesn't seem possible. Which makes me think it was staged. If someone was that stupid I have a hard time believing they would even be able to get a job.
Warbirds Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2008, 04:00:54 pm »

If someone I knew was that stupid, I'd have a hard time controlling myself from physically harming them.
DerangedFerret Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2008, 04:23:07 pm »

It doesn't help when they're a bad example to people in other countries. They should all kill themselves. Especially that dumb and/or money-crazed bitch who is an embarassment on ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A FIFTH GRADER? DARGH!
LionelAxis
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2008, 04:32:14 pm »

i must say the schools in the majority of my country are crap, luckily i live in a blue state and where not as ignorant or blind as others *chough* Bush *chough* still though i cant stand the US's attitude tord the rest of the world it idiotic, where not so high and mighty that we can ignore ever thing. A; our economy is failing B: our schools are now crap C: bush  Roll Eyes  at least by next year we may have an actual president lol.

But the NCLB Act that really started hurting our education system lately was bipartisan...co-authored/sponsored by Ted Kennedy, was it not?
DerangedFerret Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2008, 04:35:30 pm »

i must say the schools in the majority of my country are crap, luckily i live in a blue state and where not as ignorant or blind as others *chough* Bush *chough* still though i cant stand the US's attitude tord the rest of the world it idiotic, where not so high and mighty that we can ignore ever thing. A; our economy is failing B: our schools are now crap C: bush  Roll Eyes  at least by next year we may have an actual president lol.

But the NCLB Act that really started hurting our education system lately was bipartisan...co-authored/sponsored by Ted Kennedy, was it not?

Are you kidding? Our school systems have been underfunded for years! All these politicians raise noise about it, to gain votes, and then drop it as soon as something more favorable, like environmentalism or something, comes along. It's very annoying.
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2008, 04:36:17 pm »

Oh God don't even get me started on the No Child Left Behind Act....

ie the Penalize schools that need help the most while doing nothing to increase the number of teachers being hired because their pay isn't on par with what it could be and it is significantly more beneficial to get a job in the private sector act. Roll Eyes
LionelAxis
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2008, 04:44:24 pm »

Are you kidding? Our school systems have been underfunded for years! All these politicians raise noise about it, to gain votes, and then drop it as soon as something more favorable, like environmentalism or something, comes along. It's very annoying.

Oh I know they have. I didn't say they hadn't, but the current school system is getting worse because of this bi-partisan rainbow of fail.
DaretoDie Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2008, 04:53:25 pm »

P.S. I think many Americans think that they won the vietnam war.

And MANY Americans think the Soviet Union was an enmy during world war two (and I mean the entire war, not just the invasion of Poland.)
stumpster Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2008, 04:57:19 pm »

And MANY Americans think the Soviet Union was an enmy during world war two (and I mean the entire war, not just the invasion of Poland.)

That's alright, the majority of America thinks that WWII started in 1941...

Step out of the way. He'll keep going until he hits a wall, that being Akranadas. Let him go unmolested, his journey will take less time.
Eleven Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2008, 04:57:54 pm »

Hey! We didn't win the Vietnam War by splitting hairs.
LionelAxis
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2008, 05:00:09 pm »

Well, hm. Didn't Churchill and the other Allied leaders sorta view the SU as an enemy? I could've sworn I read that Churchill was ready to go right into a war with Russia after Germany fell, if need be.

I mean they were only allies by right of a common enemy.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2008, 05:01:15 pm »

Underfunded school systems in the US? The country that just spent 1 trillion dollars on a war in some distant country no one really cares about? Wow, imagine what 1 trillion dollars could've done for the school system, or the entire US population in general... :/

Belgium's not the richest country, and we may be european carebears and pay a lot of taxes but at least we get a new version schoolbooks every 2 - 3 years or so!

Hey! We didn't win the Vietnam War by splitting hairs.
Correction, you didn't win the Vietnam war at all Wink.
Eleven Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2008, 05:08:45 pm »

So all this stuff about No Child...Y'all know most public school money is local, right?

What we need is more school vouchers.
LionelAxis
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2008, 05:21:25 pm »

Schools get federal funding too.

If they don't follow the NCLB guidelines or perform well they lose the funding (go figure?).
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2008, 07:20:12 pm »

Schools get federal funding too.

If they don't follow the NCLB guidelines or perform well they lose the funding (go figure?).

This is correct, most of the money is local and state funding, however all the pluses IE new books, computer labs, attractive signing bonuses to bring in top quality educators are funded by government grants. This issue with NCLB is that instead of providing struggling schools with additional money to improve the quality of the education, they deny their federal funding. Its just a vicious cycle.

Considering the schools who are most effected that are most effected by NCLB have over 50% of their students receiving federal lunch vouchers there is clearly an issue.

The other issue is related to the standards being set by NCLB. It has removed educators ability to teach a class and has instead forced them to make the children memorize facts so they can pass an arbitrary test that insures additional funding for the school. Basically they are destroying the teachers ability to instill critical thinking skills in our young people.

Not a big deal for college bound students, but a huge issue for those that don't see college as an option.
Eleven Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2008, 07:21:04 pm »

Less than 10% of the average public school's funding is federal.
They Call Me SpitFire Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2008, 07:24:24 pm »

United States publice schools need more funding. My old elementry school had shit on the wall cause they couldn't aford to wash it off. Or get volunteers. Finally someone did it...after I left...

Nothing compares to a quiet evening alone
Just the one-two of us, who's counting on
That never happens
I guess I'm dreaming again
Let's be more than
No, oh
Crush
Crush
Crush
Crush, crush
(Two, three, four!)
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2008, 07:26:45 pm »

Less than 10% of the average public school's funding is federal.

Hence why I said that state and local carried the lions share of the burden. However this money is used almost in its entirety for facility maintenance, staff wages, student transport etc.

Luxuries are federally funded in most school systems. Supplies are primarily funded by the teachers themselves.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc