Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 03:34:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i want BOTB skins  (Read 18322 times)
Clock Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2008, 04:40:31 am »

Botb is a nice mod, i think it's hard to play due to larger squads, but very realistic and balanced, (i love bazooka squad!). However, Eir Gameplay is 100 times better.
downloading FE
BradAnderson1 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2008, 04:51:45 am »

FE is pretty shitty good idea but on the website it talks about so much depth in the actual game you dont even get half that also the AI sucks all it spawned in the first 10mins was grens 1 each player needs some serious work but could be a nice mod
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2008, 05:16:06 am »

It's still an alpha =D.
You should play it in multiplayer, obviously.
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 07:47:57 pm »

BOTB is a nice mod to try out however i dont recommend it on the long therm;
Crappy balance
Arty spam is so easy and effectiv in this mod
Strange maps, not always ideal
Retarded fast killing mgs and paks favour arty whoring even more.

Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 07:50:03 pm »

Some of the maps could be adapted to EiR though.

I do like how snipers and paks don't cloak, but have the passive cloak-in-cover ability.

I also like the longer ranges on tanks and the more deadly MGs.

But yes, it seems to favor tank and artillery spam since infantry is so fragile.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
salan
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2008, 09:01:05 pm »

some of the things are really good, 10 man rifle squads for instance... but ya the game left me thinking, blah

i really like the fortress europe mod though, it runs a lot like EIR... without the between battle persistency
Warbirds Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2008, 09:16:58 pm »

I'd like to incorporate some of their custom units as well.  Sturmtiger looks cool.
jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2008, 09:19:12 pm »

I like the concept of BotB. The maps are very pretty, but the sectors are often jumbled or cluttered. Also, base sectors are small on a few maps so it makes building stuff kinda hectic.

Overall I think it's a cool mod that I wouldnt mind playing more often, as long as all the icons and stuff are put in.

Fortress Europe is cool too.

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
Warbirds Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2008, 09:20:57 pm »

Link to Fortress Europe?  I can't find it.
salan
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2008, 11:21:03 pm »

http://fortresseurope.europeinruins.com/

fortress europe runs A LOT like EIR the fact that there is only 1 resource in the game that you cap, and that you call units from off map rather then building a base.. right now there is only two companies in the alpha for it, but he has plans for something like 24 ish companies 6-8 per faction of american / british / german.

The units are larger 10 man infantry squads, you don't upgrade anything they come with upgrades.

the dmg tables are probably more realistic, tank fighting and AT guns are nasty.. (movable 17 pndrs like the pak and 57... eir could use this instead of emplacement 17pdr)

you buy platoons instead of individual units.. IE your first grenadier call in you get two squads of grenadiers.. 2 mgs for a call in, 2 mortars..

there are single tank call ins, squads of multiple tanks.. im sure as it goes it will develop nicely.

units stealth in cover like the german paratroopers. (ALL UNITS)  but they have smaller range on their hand held AT, meaning you need to spring traps rather then shoot from range..

mgs own infantry..

give it a try, its hella fun!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 11:34:07 pm by salan » Logged
salan
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2008, 11:33:48 pm »

here, a copy from his post on RN...

Fortress Europe

Go here to download:
Fortress Europe Website

EDIT: I have completely deleted all the old content from this 1st post. Most of it was horribly out of date and no longer representative of what the mod will be.

Fortress Europe is a mod for Company of Heroes and Opposing Fronts (NOTE: Both products must be purchased) that introduces the following major game play changes.

1. There is no base building. The starting Headquarters does not serve a purpose any longer, and you cannot build Barracks, Tank Depots, Kampfkraft centers, or any other base building.
2. All units arrive from off the map. Nothing is built on the map, it all deploys from the starting entrance road in your territory.
3. You do not buy technology upgrades for your force. There is no "Escalate to Skirmish" upgrade, or need to build a Supply Depot, in order to unlock units. The only thing preventing you from deploying a powerful unit is its initial cost.

In addition to these major points, there's a few more game play changes.

4. You cannot spam a single unit endlessly. There is a hard limit on the number of any particular unit that can be deployed during a game, and this limit varies depending on the company the player chooses (More on that below). This represents the reality that there is no infinite reserve of anything in an army.
5. There is no magical off-screen artillery that can target anything the player can see. Artillery is handled through special Observer units that direct artillery units to barrage the targeted area. If an observer can't see the target, the artillery can't fire on it. The observer's ability to call in a strike takes 10 seconds or more to finish, and forces all artillery of the specified type to fire (Similar to Victor Target).
6. Infantry and some weapon teams automatically conceal themselves when in cover. Infantry in light cover or better automatically disappear from view until you get within a certain distance, allowing them to sneak around the battlefield and ambush enemies. Some elite units retain the ability to remain concealed when in the open.

Companies

At the beginning of the game, every player must choose a Company before they can begin deploying units. Your choice of company determines what units are available and in what quantity. These are all based off of actual Tables of Organization and Equipment (TO&E, or KStN for German companies) in use during World War 2.

Your choice of company also determines what "perks" your company has available to it. Perks are advantages specific to your company's training or equipment, and can only be chosen at the very beginning of the game. Once chosen, you cannot undo your choice or pick another. Perks will not be available in the first beta release of the mod.

Here is a current list of all the companies, broken down by nation:

American
Rifle Company
Armored Rifle Company
Ranger Company
Parachute Rifle Company
Tank Company
Cavalry Recon Troop

British
Rifle Company
Motor Company
Royal Army Commando Troop
Air Landing Company
Armoured Squadron
Tank Squadron

German
Grenadierkompanie
Panzergrenadierkompanie
Fallschirmjägerkompanie
Aufklärungsschwadron
Panzerkompanie
Schwere Panzerkompanie

Doctrines

Doctrines no longer contain reinforcements or off-map support. Most advantages of the old doctrine system now exist in the Perk system, or are available as normal units. Instead the Doctrines will focus on short-term tactics within the framework of three "Personalities"
Aggressive - Nothing you do is ever half-hearted; experience has led you to prefer decisive attacks and overwhelming defenses. Though your massive assaults and rigid defenses lead to high casualties, the results speak for themselves as they leave the enemy shattered.
Evasive - Your tactical abilities are focused on out-maneuvering the enemy and striking at the time and place of your choosing. You do not waste men in lengthy battles of attrition, preferring to hit at weak points, or avoid the enemy altogether if you are out-numbered.
Cautious - Experience has taught you to not march into a trap, and to always expect the enemy to be stronger than anticipated. Your movements are carefully planned and you are rarely taken by surprise.

Once you have purchased a tactic from your doctrine with command points, you have one usage of that tactic available to you. Once it is used, the tactic can be purchased again from the doctrine menu. Tactics do not need to be purchased in a specific order. Command points are easier to accrue than before, encouraging the player to use their tactics rather than hoarding them for a rainy day. Here is an example of a tactic from the Aggressive doctrine:
Hold at all Costs - Infantry near the officer using this tactic cannot retreat and move slowly, but cannot be suppressed and fire faster. Lasts for thirty seconds.

Mechanical Realism

1. All guns have relatively realistic penetration. The KwK43 88mm on the Jagdpanther and Tiger II is going to cleave through any armour at any distance. On the lower end, the KwK38 20mm on the SdKfz 234/1 and SdKfz 222 has no chance of penetrating any tank armour, except the rear of some medium and light tanks.
2. All tank guns have their damage brought closer together. The damage from an 88mm is still greater than a 75mm, but not as substantially greater as it once was. The damage from a 37mm (like from the Stuart's M5 37mm gun) is not so minor that a penetrating hit on a tank goes unnoticed.
3. All infantry have the same hit points. The only defensive factor amongst troops is that better trained men are harder to hit and harder to suppress.
4. Sight ranges on all units are set to 60m, camouflage detection radius varies. The ability to see terrain and enemies in the open is uniform across the board, but spotting hidden enemies is not. A medium or heavy tank is a very poor choice for spotting concealed units, while infantry are much better, and reconnaissance units are the best.
5. Gun ranges have been scaled within the new sight range. The maximum range of a direct fire gun is 60m, and weapons vary from 60m to 16m in range. Small arms occupy the 36m range and below, and tank guns are 44mm and up in range. Infantry anti-tank rockets have a range of 24m or 28m, making it crucial that infantry ambush tanks at shorter ranges and not approach in the open where the tank can use its superior range.
6. Vehicle-mounted machine-guns are as effective as squad-carried machine-guns. The hull and co-axial machine-guns on tanks and some vehicles function as well as their infantry equivalent, and can suppress just as well.

Unit Organization

1. Most units are deployed to the battlefield in squad/section groups. If a particular platoon is divided into two sections, and each section has a Jeep and a Recon squad, then every usage of the deployment ability gives you one Jeep and a Recon squad.
2. Units are sorted into platoons. In order to deploy sections/squads, you need to purchase an upgrade for the platoon that contains them. This upgrade then provides a set number of sections/squads appropriate to the platoon's historical size. For example, purchasing the British Armoured platoon (Sherman V) upgrade allows you to purchase and deploy up to three Sherman V tanks and up to one Firefly VC tank. Once you have expended all the tanks in the platoon, you will need to buy the upgrade again (If your company is allowed access to more than one platoon of that type, not all are).
3. Platoons are organized by category. Sometimes there's a choice as to what equipment or organization a platoon might have. For example, a British Armoured platoon can either be equipped with Sherman V tanks or Cromwell IV tanks. If your company is allowed one or more Armoured platoons, you can choose either, but both count as an Armoured platoon. Choosing one uses up a single choice from that category. The amount of platoons available in a single category is shown in the bottom right corner of the upgrade button, while the bottom left corner shows a symbol for what category it falls under.

---

would rather be playing 2.0, but thats not exactly here Sad
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 11:37:38 pm »

If that mod was persistent you would see me over there! Semi-realism for the win!

demoner Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2008, 11:48:18 pm »

Theres realism then theres OMG TANK AXIS GUN JUST CUT THROUGH MY SQUAD IN 5 SECONDs.

Its like CoD4 realism versus Insurgency mod realism, I like to play and not just get 1 bullet deaths till I quit.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2008, 12:15:08 am »

Thats why I play CoD4 on Hardcore Tactical servers, its pretty mush you got shot you die, the key is to not be seen before you kill. And if you are, pray you are faster and more accurate or just plain luckier.
demoner Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2008, 01:10:25 am »

I like actually playing, you know, using skill. I love natural selection, I hate 'oh well I guess I'm dead now, wonder what killed me'
Clock Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2008, 01:47:48 am »

I play very often Insurgency, and it's more than a frustrating one shot one kill game ^^'. First of all you have to shoot. It's a game where your aiming skill isnt so important as teamwork. A game where you can't do it alone, knowing that makes your game experience funnier and more plaesent. I prefer this kind of gameplay than a shooting/jumping/crouching/dancing gameplay of many other FPSs (for example counter strike)

Another great game is Red Orchestra, have you ever played it?
Dragon93 Offline
17th Airborne Division - Thunder From Heaven
EIR Veteran

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2008, 02:24:18 am »

I think what we could do, since everyone loves BotB (you have to) when the war ends we could start a new one on BotB, with those maps and skins. Would be cool if you could use normal skins on normal maps, and the snowy skins only on snowy maps, because then we could have a normal war going through everything, when we reach the Ardennes it snows, and are men get big coats on. Then you can guess what happens when we reach the desert Smiley.

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2008, 03:43:02 am »

Fortress Europe is pretty much a sister-mod from Europe in Ruins .
Sturmhaubitze, the author of this mod started out almost at the same time fl- did, they both had a vision and he ran as a development member for our mod for a little bit, more as an adviser than an actual developer though Tongue. As you can see, his website is also hosted on the EiR webdomain Wink.

I think their roads eventually split because Sturm wanted to go a whole new direction in terms of gameplay (unit/weapon stats, etc) where as fl- wanted to stick close to vCoH and add persistency.

Btw, make a new thread about Fortress Europe/BOTB or something, this one's getting a little cluttered.
Predator Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2008, 05:42:02 am »

Sturm did a lot of good work on his mod, but it still has too little content yet. BotB on the other hand is a very good, complete mod.
Lets get on vent later and play some BotB. 
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2008, 07:05:30 am »

Count me in for both.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc