Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 11:40:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why 2.0 fails  (Read 14359 times)
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
Lieutenant General of all Ninja's.
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 02:51:35 pm »

Shit. not that mother fucker!
DBSights Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 02:52:53 pm »

splinter mod!
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 02:53:10 pm »

Damm the Visions came true, the end is near.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[AB]RikiRude Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 03:08:43 pm »

I wish I could program so I could help with the mod in some way, but I'm only a lowly texture artist, a mere photoshop whore =(

My available companies:
Allies:
*AB company going for raid assault
  Infantry going for tank reapers
Axis:
*Defensive going for rocket artillery
  Blitz going for lightning war
  And an experimental Terror company going for subversion consisting of all volks and two King Tigers
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 05:57:36 pm »

2.0 fails for a lot of reasons that Apex has stated. 

To be honest, platoon purchasing was scrapped a long time ago.  The plan was/is to implement a system were your custom built platoons are 'type-categorized' based upon the units in them, and only allow you so many of each type. 

Rating is done, dynamic pricing is done. 

Automatch is not done, nor is the mod portion.

My wife did throw a huge fit, and I stopped checking in entirely.  Now that things have calmed down, I'm finding it hard to get back into the groove, which weakly translates into a lack of interest in getting 2.0 done.

I know many of you didn't want to hear that, and others probably already guessed.  I'm sure players are leaving, I don't blame them. 

At least we have a working system with 2 factions...   Maybe we should just implement the PE and CW into our current system and worry about all the flair or 2.0 later... I don't really know.

I do know that I've lost a lot of the heart I had for EIR.  While it'll always be my baby, my one project that was an actual success, we still sit here at a crossroads of further success or nothing...

I suppose a lot of my interest died when Buggo was fired.  Let's face it.  Relic's mod support has been disastrous, but she kept me going.

I just don't know what to do anymore, and I've been dreading posting this message...

In all honesty, I sometimes wish I could find a worthy successor to program everything needed so I could make a clean break.  Most of you probably have no idea what it's like to feel constant pressure on you; honestly, that's what it's like with being the head of EIR.  It's too much stress for something that's supposed to be fun.

So, in all actuality.  What will probably happen is nothing... We'll restart the war when this one ends and the player base will dip even more.  Hopefully those that have built a community of friends here will stay, if not, I understand as well.

Sooner or later, an itching will arrive and we'll hit the grindstone hard and heavy and 2.0 will appear one day.  I think any of you who have followed mods that have been out for a long time know that programmers have turn over and periods of 'ugh, I'm sick of this shit'.  Some of the mods die, some of them stay around, only a minor heartbeat from a once thriving player base.  Eventually, new programmers come around, or the old team gets the itch again and it picks up again....

I want to thank all of you for your support.  It's meant the world to me, seriously.  If any of you really have a desire to see 2.0, learn PHP, learn C (for launcher), learn SCAR and/or RGD editing and let me know.  That said, as of now, Ucross and I are still the leaders of EIR.  We still love it, but obviously my passion is lacking right now (and I'm not sure where he's at, maybe its high and he's pissed at me).

Either way, I'm in Dallas, posting from a hotel where I'm staying while I'm here from work.  Maybe just maybe, things will change, maybe they won't... 

What if on June 6, Relic Community Day they announce COH 2 and not another COH expansion?  What if they don't announce either?  I'm proud that we made it this far.
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
Lieutenant General of all Ninja's.
EIR Veteran

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 06:01:51 pm »

i just feel sorry for the people who haven't seen the success of EIR, were it came from and were it is now.

to coin a phrase, quit while your ahead, or at least rest Tongue.
GammaCommander Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 06:06:56 pm »

Well... I guess all good things must come to an end. Hopefully EiR will start back up again. We are all sincerely glad that you're still with us, even if you bring bad news. Best we all keep our hopes high and that you might find a sudden desire to continue with EiR.

AirborneCommander - Blank
DeltaCommander - Blank
ThetaCommander - Axis Defensive
GammaCommander - Allied Armor

http://snarkersville.myminicity.com/tra

http://snarkersville.myminicity.comhttp://snarkersville.myminicity.com/ind
Apex Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 06:09:12 pm »

Hmmm. If PE and Brits are ready, I'd say dig out the old three resource price lists and original doctrine lists and throw them in. A little care and support for them from time to time and I am sure EiR could reach another peak.

Whatever happens though, lots of respect. GG
Eleven Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 06:10:06 pm »

Apex, as you know, I usually hate it when you complain about things like this, but in this case, you're right. Some people, Stuart for example, I haven't seen in weeks, if not months. Players are dropping like flies.
Stuart actually really wants to play but he can't because of his computer breaking.

FL-: I also think you should release the PE/Brit stuff to play with current EIR. Seeing any tangible progress with the mod will be excellently inspiring for our current players.They just want something new.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:19:57 pm by Eleven » Logged
jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 06:18:15 pm »

I'm with Apex, just throw in the Brits and PE imo

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
fluffyalien3 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 06:19:08 pm »

Wow, i just wish i had the words for how much i love this mod.

I'm extremely grateful to all the Dev's who've invested a lot of heart and soul into this.
Obviously i hope it doesn't end here but if it does i'm grateful for what has gone before and can only hope for a pheonix from the ashes.

This mod is different, i've always hated the whole resource gathering, unit building crap that most RTS's seem to love, which is why i will be very sad to see this end here.

This mod is awesome and that's all i have to say. A very big, sincere thanks to all the dev's who've devoted so much precious time to something that so many seem to take forgranted.

Love,Respect and gratitude.

Jamie
GamerAndyAlly Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 06:25:49 pm »

Agree with the posters previous to me - Throw in PE and Brit and call it a day - UCross is doing balance now anyhow, and he's sticking around right?   As far as uber ambitious systems go, put them on the back burner and at least give us something to keep the mod alive - As it stands I know I'm not the only one who won't be in for the next war

So theres no more confusion:
http://wiki.onlinegamers.org/index.php?title=Cry_more_noob%3F

If necessary, I can also provide links a useful definition of Sarcasm
Migi Offline
See airborne should get SMG's too!
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 06:36:24 pm »

Thanks Fl for alot of good times laughs and fun. Get to it when you get to it man. Feel the joy of it again at some point. Tell all these ungratefull whining cocksuckers to blow smoke( this does not mean all EiR players, just the ungrateful whining cocksuckers). I for one will play wether they stay or not because I enjoy the mod as it is, not for what it could be. You did so much and this mod is fantastic.

Thanks for everything.

Srry Ak, I hope you understand, I will when you delete it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:38:18 pm by Migi » Logged

CommanderHolt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 06:38:08 pm »

Although I would usually say to wait and get out a finished product. I think it might be best if you threw in PE/Brits and work out the balance issue later on.
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 06:55:19 pm »

fldash,

Thank you for all your hard work so far.  I've never been so involved in a mod community as I have been with EiR and for that I am profoundly thankful.  I appreciate your hard work and dedication and I hope that you will get your groove back, but if not, I understand.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Migi Offline
See airborne should get SMG's too!
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 06:56:16 pm »

Also in 2.0 give Airborne Sqauads SMGs plaese.  ;-}
twzcatinhat Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 06:56:31 pm »

yea the PE and the British was all that i wanted Smiley
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 07:08:58 pm »

fldash, are you going to do medals from the war?
DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 07:30:42 pm »

For the sake of those who have invested time, effort with feedback, and money...

I request that you simply add PE/BRITS before you leave the mod on hold for the future...

Having new units would make it worth playing again.  Who knows... the excitement might even be enough to make you want to hit the grindstone again.  But APEX is right, too high of goals with no payoff = death in business and in mod building it seems.

Quote from: fldash on Today at 06:22:34 PM
DISASTER AVERTED... IM A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS!

You have DasNoob who uses the mod as COHTV
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 07:40:47 pm »

Think we'd all just be happy with all 4 factions and maybe a little doctrine tweaking.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc