Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 09:36:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2.0 fails Phils outburst  (Read 22003 times)
BradAnderson Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2008, 09:21:02 am »

i know jawbreaker can code but wheather FL wants him any where near his code remains to be seen.
Draygon Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 09:24:47 am »

I dont see a problem with it continuing in its current state, even with some updates.  We have the guys that can do that, given they get access to the code ( I suggest giving it to Cozmo, tbh) and I am pretty sure we can get "2.0" out with just a bit more help.

If my personal life wasnt so shitty right now I would do all I could to get it out/help; I dont have that time to do so though.
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 10:01:36 am »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:09:13 am by Thtb » Logged

Bonte Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 10:03:37 am »

the only real problem i can see with someone picking up the mod is the fact that we wouldnt have someone to code the scar mod (fldash has source) and phil would be needed for the launcher. Also the real problem im worried about is the dynamic pricing system and the creation of a new company manager for the platoon purchassing system would not only require great understanding of php but also a good background in javascript code....just implementing 2 new factions....(changing prices of existing units and their icons) to make a new company manager wouldne be hard..i would suggest giving 2.0 scar to cozmo because he is great with scar based objectives which is the foundation of eir. Now on the webside you would need to find someone very proficient in

PHP
CSS
MySQL PHP coding...
Javascript
Drupal?Huh??(theming new backgrounds ect. dont reall need existing website is fine.)
HTML

you would also need a very good photoshop artist along with a C++ programmer for the launcher.....

Hence one of the other big problems is...How far is 2.0? does anyone know? im sure ucross wont post anything here but if someone like cozmo is to take over you need to know where you are.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:15:20 am by Bonte » Logged

I'm too candid to hide something like that. Smiley
Candid - frank; outspoken; open and sincere: a candid critic

You must really think im an idoit.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 10:12:17 am »

You just need the sourcecode and some coders.
It'll be hard to find coders as competent as fl-, but that can be compensated by having multiple coders.

I know more than a few people in this community who can code, and many more in the COH modding community in general.
An alternative could always be merging the project with Sturmhaubitze's and make him the point man, in the end, his mod has always very much represented EIR. The only difference is his mod has actually altered vCoH elements, something certain people on the current dev team would have to learn to live with.
Ucross Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 10:19:16 am »

2.0 is pretty far actually.  80% done I'd say.  Need some php work, c++ work, and SCAR work and it's done.

Find people that are willing to work and tell them to pm me.
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 10:23:43 am »

The reason I predict death has nothing to do with the community or myself.  It is simply because the programming power (which is necessary to run the mod) is gone.  That used to be phil and fl, but both are burnt out. 

If you want to see the mod run, we need some programming power.  If you want to see 2.0 out, we need more. 

Also, getting 2.0 out as planned is not much harder than getting out what you guys are saying.  I've done a lot of the extra programming, we just need some scar coding and some php/c++ coding done of which I can't do.

So this is how I see it:
No programming = dead mod
some programming = alive mod, but no 2.0
more programming = 2.0

Also, I don't have bad blood for any of the developers.  IMO they were all fantastic.  Akr was a great mod, fl and phil phenomenal programmers, the rest of them I'm not mentioning were great too, all were IMO fantastic.  The staff here was exemplary IMO. Smiley

I hope that if I ever do another project I have them or individuals like them on my team.

Ucross, I appreciate your positive and realistic outlook here.  Top notch.

Can you elaborate a bit on what sorts of things are needed coding wise in each of the languages?  Then we could create some more specific job postings, from which we could either bring in outside skill or give more concrete goals for community members to rise to than just "php/SCAR skills."

We should also generate a list of tasks that need to be done so that people can volunteer.  I envision it being something like:

Website Maintenance

Forum/Battle Support - Simple website coding and upkeep, fixes stuck companies and non-reported battles. Some php and SQL needed.
Database Admin - Responsible for the battle and player databases.  SQL and PHP expertise required.

Website Development

Front-End Developer - Builds new front-end elements such as new reports and views in the battle screen, changes to the purchasing screen. CSS, PHP, HTML moderate experience needed.[/i]
Warmap Designer - Builds the warmap and works with back- and front-end developers to integrate with the website.  Flash and Action Script expertise required.
Back-End Developer - Builds new functionality into the website backend such as designing new database elements and linking them to the launcher and battle files.  Builds website support for new features from the SCAR coders.  PHP and SQL strong expertise required.

Game Maintenance

Balance Designer - Conceptualizes balance changes.  I.e Ucross if he will stay with us.  No coding required.
Balance Implementer - Implements the pricing and ability changes designed by the designer.  Basic mod studio knowledge and limited SCAR required.

Launcher Development

Developer - Either adding functionality to current launcher or designing a new launcher.  If working with current, C++/C# skills needed.  If building a new one, Java, C#, .Net, etc. needed.

Game Development

SCAR Coder - Does the heavy lifting of figuring out how to code new gameplay changes.  SCAR expertise and mod studio expertise required.

I'm sure this is by no means exhaustive, but if we could flesh out a list like this it could be a nice positive step toward preserving our mod.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 10:25:43 am »

Don't forget "Mod Lead" since fl- wouldn't be around.
And what happened to Roflmao? He was doing some excellent work on the warmap.
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 10:27:23 am »

I'm assuming Ucross' statement of "If you give me programmers, I can finish it" means that he would be managing.
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 10:28:31 am »

Guess Dragon is right....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:55:10 am by Thtb » Logged
Draygon Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 10:45:15 am »

Ok, this is not the time nor the place for negative shit ThTB.

As far as coding goes on my part right now.  I can manage the website. 

Bah, ok, Ive not mentioned this in any of my threads because I was trying not to focus on it.  For those of you that dont know, my wife asked me for a divorce 2 weeks ago so I am inthe middle of going through that bullshit/trying to save my marriage (not going well at all, pretty much over), so thats why I havent been around much at all as of late.

When I get any of this sorted I will be more than happy to sit and focus on things, I was already working on some of the code for the individual unit leaders (top rifle squad, MG, mortar, etc...). 

Besides, FL has not officially said he is done and will NOT work on it at all, he has only said that he is burnt out and is taking a break.  That means he may come back at some point, so if he is still going to be around and we have some other people coding on it we need to keep everything up to date with what changes are made etc...

IF we cant get this together, then I think the best thing to do would be to turn everything over to the Fortress Europe Dev and work with him on incorporating everything into it, I mean shit if that is done that would be one hell of a mod.  I would rather see them stay seperate though in the end.
salan
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 10:50:36 am »

draygon as someone who has gone through a divorce (the choices we make when we are 20.. ug) I can empathise on your situation.

I have been teaching myself HTML rather religiously lately, I suck, I admit it... but I have really been working at it to gain the foundation of what may or may not be needed in basic help.. done a lot of c++ in highschool, god that was a long time ago though..  but screw me in the foot if I don't want to help keep this mod alive.

we'll talk when you get a chance at some point.
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 11:05:10 am »

So has anyone contacted the leader of fortress Europe, I would be more than happy to if not.

I guess I am in this for the long run. While I don't have coding knowledge, I am more than willing to do the leg work and help organize things.

Edit: I am guess that if we want to bring him in, we are going to need to give him some freedom to implement his ideas. Who knows, they might go along ways towards improving the mod.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:07:39 am by Wraith547 » Logged
Draygon Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 11:08:48 am »

I will contact him in a bit.

Im with Salan...I will not let this mod fail, no matter how active or inactive I am in it currently.
salan
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 11:11:37 am »

guys, its not our mod... nothing we WANT matters.

its up to dash and ucross what they will allow.

they know the guy from fortress mod quite well.. He was here in the dev forums for a long time helping with advice and co-learning the scar needed to be done for both mods.

He has his own agenda atm, the one thing that we could hope is that somehow they might work towards a persistent combination of both..

I don't know if sturm even wants help on his side, I tried to ask him about advertising with a video and he never got back to me..
DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 01:23:42 am »

2.0 is pretty far actually.  80% done I'd say.  Need some php work, c++ work, and SCAR work and it's done.

I'm surprised that Fl- would quit after getting to %80.  And honestly those of us who donated real money can't help but feel robbed.  So yes Phil I certainly can tell Fl- to man up and finish %20.

I stopped donating about 2 months ago because there was NO real progress to be seen toward 2.0 or OF unit integrations, and ALMOST no communication about progress... I would have continued to donate otherwise.

Just a shame really and it leaves me with a sick feeling.  I won't be playing this mod again without OF units, and I suspect most of the quality older players will be feeling the same so yes, it is dead.

Salan, you should make sure to get everyone hooked up with voice so we can keep the community together because I can't see Dash actually paying to keep the vent going in the future, or the site for that matter.

Quote from: fldash on Today at 06:22:34 PM
DISASTER AVERTED... IM A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS!

You have DasNoob who uses the mod as COHTV
Migi Offline
See airborne should get SMG's too!
EIR Veteran

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 01:29:56 am »

wait, what did i miss, did phil tell you ungrateful cocksuckers you are ungrateful cocksuckers.

Congrats phil, blow smoke cocksuckers

Flack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008, 01:30:46 am »

I can talk to my clan leader, maybe you can come too our ventrilo server.

Migi Offline
See airborne should get SMG's too!
EIR Veteran

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 01:50:09 am »

wow pickles your a real peice of work, can i get your moms number, i want to get in line
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
Lieutenant General of all Ninja's.
EIR Veteran

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 01:52:03 am »

I'm surprised that Fl- would quit after getting to %80.  And honestly those of us who donated real money can't help but feel robbed.  So yes Phil I certainly can tell Fl- to man up and finish %20.

I stopped donating about 2 months ago because there was NO real progress to be seen toward 2.0 or OF unit integrations, and ALMOST no communication about progress... I would have continued to donate otherwise.

Just a shame really and it leaves me with a sick feeling.  I won't be playing this mod again without OF units, and I suspect most of the quality older players will be feeling the same so yes, it is dead.

Salan, you should make sure to get everyone hooked up with voice so we can keep the community together because I can't see Dash actually paying to keep the vent going in the future, or the site for that matter.

i think the donations stopped Fl- giving up months ago instead of now, i think you got something for your money, because we wouldn't be here now if you hadn't.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc