Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:50:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 25, 2024, 04:28:22 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Poll
Question: Does being a good player = good game developer/balance moderator?
Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does being a good player = good game developer/balance moderator?  (Read 9760 times)
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: December 14, 2008, 01:23:51 am »

After looking how Relic balance games, like some of the silly nerfs they slapped on these units... I'm just curious about EiR's community's opinion on this. If you like, do add a sentence or two summarising why you believe (OR don't believe) good gaming skills are required to be a good game developer (how gameplay should work) or balancing (because you know "this and this" can work and "this and this" can be overpowered)?

For the sake of this discussion
Good Gaming Skill is defined as having good micro, strategy, understanding of game mechanics and of course, the ability to win most of the games out there and if defined in ranked 1v1 terms on automatch vCoH, having achieved the rank of level 10.

Game Development is about implementing gameplay concepts, improving the way the dynamic situation is presented, developing doctrine abilities which are not overpowered etc.

Balance Moderation is about economic pricing of units & abilities, balancing the Supply (i.e. Supply of Manpower @ 8K, Munitions & Fuel), the veterancy of units and damage/hp tables.

Personal Opinion
I think some level of skill & understanding of game mechanics (or the engine) is required to be able to be a competent balance mod, to know what can be abuse/exploited and what is "underpowered" therefore, my vote is yes.

Additional Notes
If you think the definition is unfair, include a sentence for each of your intepretation of the 3 terms here. This poll is for the intent of finding out the community's opinion. Nothing more.
ThetaCommander Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 02:03:52 am »

Typically, a good developer is a good player but not all good players are good developers. To be a good developer, you need the full understanding of all units, factions, abilities, and doctrines which means playing both sides. As for a moderator, that just takes someone who has alot of time and is capable of using their moderation power appropiately.

ThetaCommander - Defensive
GammaCommander - Armor
stumpster Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 02:15:13 am »

A lot of times, the best players will end up being the worst game balancers.  Because, the majority of the time, those who take the game that seriously end up being biased.  Stick around GR a bit, and it's pretty easy to see.  However, there is a lower limit as well...obviously someone shouldn't be balancing the game if they never play.

Step out of the way. He'll keep going until he hits a wall, that being Akranadas. Let him go unmolested, his journey will take less time.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:38:55 am »

the best developers usually are those who play for fun than those who play to win because they'll more often than not look at the game objectively and notice things that throw the "fun" out of whack.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 03:24:50 am »

well many also accept playing whit everyone while some pepole stack not always but very very often
and most of the top playeres has maxed out everything wich does stomping middle and lower players pretty easy
(even tough ive played some fantastic games when the underdogs won XD ) I noticed much of this when we launched tls.

yust shining some light on stuff.

Eir customer support staff.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 05:05:03 am »

Game developer, no. Balance team, yes to an extent.
Smithy17 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 05:09:10 am »

I think it depends on why they are good player. If they have a good understanding of the game they will be a better balancer/developer than someone who is good because of awesome micro.
BradAnderson Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 05:19:07 am »

Lets think back to when ucross did balance Roll Eyes he was a good player but most of his balance sucked.
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 05:32:44 am »

What fldash said once to me, like a year ago after we played a game toghter:

"Your a good Player, I don´t understand why you don´t agree with our Balance Actions."

You have to play a lot to balance. Lets say at least one game with each faction per day.

Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 06:01:52 am »

Balance is Bias. Not matter what.
UnLimiTeD6 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 08:43:47 am »

No.
There are people developing games without playing them before....
Those games gotta be shit ... 0.o   -.-

Balance and Developing depends on ones ability to see the greater system, on creativity and willingness to look behind and look at every single fact. Combined.
A good balancer needs people with good playing skills telling him their oppinion and than has to choose what to do based on those experiences.
A good Balancer will never balance based on his/her own experience, as the own standpoint is never perfect.

Game experience is not neccecary to balance but to understand the viewpoint of those whose oppinion you take as a starting point for balance.

Development is completely devoid of those dependencies.

Experience with playing as important for a Developer if he has played lot's of different games to have a wide angle of view, bundling creativity with experience of the possible outcome.
Who ever is very good at playing a game rarely plays a lot of other stuff, and as such, per your definition, a good player is a BAD developer.
winisez Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 08:30:13 pm »

the criteria of level 10 is stupid, anyone can reach that in under 30 games. balance from the top down, top 25 players imo. thats it.
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 08:44:36 pm »

I think as has been noted a good balance/game developer needs to exhibit skills outside of pure gaming ability, they need to have a vision and then goals and have a plan that achieves them.  They needto be good at management as well as consulting with people but should never be influenced poorly.

Knowing how to micro a tank is not the above.   Understanding the game and playing it yes, good at the game? no. 

This isn't the basis for another list is it?

winisez Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 09:07:07 pm »

yes it is. IM GOING TO MAKE A LIST.

this is gonna be fun.
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 09:10:57 pm »

MCpage you making a list means that only you will be on it.
Kotyonok Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 09:15:29 pm »

Well I'ma find out who's naugty or nice...blahblahblah

back to topic though.

I think that, if anyone hasn't noticed, some of the most amazing game developers really arn't the best gamers. Since they play the game so much with their job in mind though I believe it destroys the bias that can come up...or at least leads to it being harder.

"Love is finding beauty within imperfections."
~Me
"Be the change that you want to see in the world."
~Ghandi
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
~Albert Einstein

That's my philosophy so far.
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 10:25:25 pm »

Its all about the meta game... You can be a poor player and understand it (unlikely), you can be a great player and not understand it.
winisez Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 11:25:47 pm »

being a great player and not understand the meta game? that's a contradiction.

regards
winisez/wintank/winallies/winaxis/winisup/winisop/windef/todlichpanther/mcpage/louis/randomdice/riggeddice/iamcomming/iamcomming4you/blightedbird/deadlytwig/r3llik.

i think that's it....
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 11:28:02 pm »

Yes, you can be a good player at EiR but completely fail due to not understanding the meta game. The meta game is the current trends and tactics that players adopt.
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 11:35:57 pm »

MCpage you have lost your mind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc