Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 11:38:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brit overhaul suggestions  (Read 15589 times)
Khorney Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: February 14, 2009, 06:30:27 pm »

i think most players will agree (well, apart from the axis who are steamrolling us =P) that brits are majorly useless in this build. i can't say i've tried every single combination and tactics, so obviously i'm open to criticism. either way, i'm just trying to help the dev's with my observations, and i appreciated that alot of has gone into work and testing that has gone into the mod, including brits, but my personal opinion is that they are underpowered. hopefully we can sort this. anyway, read away, and posts your thoughs!:

Commandos
- ditch the munitions cost (or reduce) + have smokes by default. similarly priced units keep their 'fire up' type abilities by default or for cheaper (180+45 munitions a go is not cost effective)

Lt's + Captains - reduce pop cap cost to 1. once the arty bug is fixed, this will be a must. at the moment 3 pop makes them more or less non-viable until late game when you have spare pop. you had the right idea with the cromwell, which is a fraction of normal tank cap.

Emplacements (in general) - i realise i need to tread carefully here - but i would suggest putting their toughness back to vCoH values - this would make their setup time worth it, and much less vulnerable to mortars, which is ridiculous ATM. trenches are working well though, it's relatively easy to deal with them, but still provide good cover.

PIATS - are a waste of time. i dunno how you are going to fix this, but they are crocks of shit. accuracy, fire rate, firing on the move, any of the above would help. more annoyingly PIAT commandos are pointless as you can never get a lieutenant near them if you try and use them in an infiltration capacity.

thats all i have off the top of my head, im sure others have stuff to chip in too, butapart from the bugs i've posted in other threads, the rest of the british units can kind of hold it together, and more or less justify their cost. unfortunately, the problems here have borked british (esp commando doctrine) to lulzville.

again, this is not a bitch session, and i would like to hear players opinions on these suggestions, and hopefully the powers that be will be listening too  Grin

amadeus Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:48:01 pm »

u cant rush everything with commandos Wink they are very costeffective

LTs give infantry good bonuses - 3 pop is  good
Khorney Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:51:33 pm »

you can't rush anything with commandos. on more than one occasion PAK's have wandered off unscathed, and LMG's are a nightmare
Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 08:15:52 pm »

mortar pit needs alot larger range, right now you cant build it without getting counter mortar'd

IplayForKeeps: if we were an equation
IplayForKeeps: it would be
IplayForKeeps: two = keeps
IplayForKeeps: i only have 1 friend
Mysthalin_Axis Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 08:19:41 pm »

u cant rush everything with commandos Wink they are very costeffective

LTs give infantry good bonuses - 3 pop is  good
2 volks MP40s in yellow cover. I dare you to charge that with 2 mandoz without nades.
LTs give bonuses, sure, but not really anything great that would constitute 3 popcap.

I would like to be informed as to why PIAT ambush takes 10 seconds to kick in? In vCoH it's instant, unless the PIATs are seen. in EIRR they take forever even if they just left the spawn at the start of a game...
stumpster Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:30:40 pm »

I would like to be informed as to why PIAT ambush takes 10 seconds to kick in? In vCoH it's instant, unless the PIATs are seen. in EIRR they take forever even if they just left the spawn at the start of a game...

I think that might just be some sort of mess-up somewhere when we were changing the timers.

Step out of the way. He'll keep going until he hits a wall, that being Akranadas. Let him go unmolested, his journey will take less time.
Fingertrapped
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:37:38 pm »

Additional points about commandos:

- Should the smoke/grenade still be on the same timer with the current cost?
- Glider health: Died to 1 pak shot, squad destroyed
- Cost of commandos: overpriced?

A 4 man mp44 squad is a pretty equal match for commandos. Yet these guys pay only 135 munitions for being fully upgraded?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:39:36 pm by Fingertrapped » Logged
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 08:41:05 pm »

Guys, Gliders in EIR are not designed to be dropped into combat areas; You drop them on a flank or a secure area to boost your forces. IF you drop them somewhere and they die before your troops spawn then you need to rethink your usage of them.
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 08:51:58 pm »

That said, could the devs code it so a destroyed glider causes the squads inside to spawn with around 70% casualties? Enough so the squads are combat-ineffective, but still retreatable. A six-man Commando squad should spawn with only one or two survivors.

I don't know, but I think it would really suck if your glider blew up on some (misclick)/(mine)/(TT)/(Random act of God) and a crapload of MP/PP/Vet died instantly. Even an Ostwind can only nail so many Airborne squads when they drift out of the sky...
Khorney Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 09:40:53 pm »

gliders i have no beef with, as you say, they are not airborne, need a little more TLC.

the survivor idea is good though, didn't think of that
Hicks359
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 09:50:44 pm »

Btw, i aint played a whole load of Brits yet due to having a shaky run into getting things working the way i want... But what i have seen, the Royal Commando's are more than useful when used right.

While i do agree, they should be able to use smoke grenades without having to buy it, after all, it isnt an instant wtfpwn ability, it's an oppurtunity to get outta dodge in a shit storm. Unlike Fireup.

The cost is also something of a debate...

What i have seen from personal experience though, is watching my single squad of Royal Commando's wasting a pair of MP40 squads single handedly with only light cover and a single smoke grenade to help. True the squad only had two chaps left but they did it. The fact that he was silly enough to stay in close quarters after i threw the smoke up sealed the deal as he lost a lock on my Commando's for a few seconds - More than enough time to waste one of the two squads.

I'd say the Commando's are on the right lines... They just need some fine tweaking.
Khorney Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »

true hicks, i would have to see what the effect of adding in smoke would be before the cost was reduced.
stumpster Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 10:04:26 pm »

That said, could the devs code it so a destroyed glider causes the squads inside to spawn with around 70% casualties? Enough so the squads are combat-ineffective, but still retreatable. A six-man Commando squad should spawn with only one or two survivors.

I don't know, but I think it would really suck if your glider blew up on some (misclick)/(mine)/(TT)/(Random act of God) and a crapload of MP/PP/Vet died instantly. Even an Ostwind can only nail so many Airborne squads when they drift out of the sky...

What would be ideal is if we could have something like survivors in the case of the Glider being destroyed by fire on the ground, but if the player drops Commandos onto a house or gets shot out of the sky there would be no survivors.

What's the big problem is that if we up Glider HP to survive fire from Shreks/Paks, we also make it possible to crash violently through houses...but come out fine on the other side.  It's a very delicate line.  On the flip side, we might be able to modify weapon damage against the Glider's armor...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:07:10 pm by stumpster » Logged
skyblazer Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 11:07:26 pm »

If you simply change the glider to taking bugger all damage from light arms weapon fire that would be about all you would need to do. The Glider already survives parking through houses and still will unload troops/tank most times. Personally i sometimes consider the glider a very expensive off map^^

Anyways i think the glider is fine as it is now just need its Armour more resistant to rifles, smg's etc. MG's should rip it apart still. 
BigDick
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 02:49:23 am »

- Cost of commandos: overpriced?

A 4 man mp44 squad is a pretty equal match for commandos. Yet these guys pay only 135 munitions for being fully upgraded?

4 man mp44 squad is on 145 munitions..and only a equal match in close range
otherwise commandos clearly win (that include the case where mp44 dudes have to charge commandos in cover)
Hydro Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 03:08:13 am »

BTW Lt arty bug isn't fixed (reported to salan but not answered), but ye commandos here are weak
Mysthalin_Axis Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 04:18:18 am »

STG44 is much more effective at medium range than Commando's Stens, thank you.
Spartacus85 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 04:27:42 am »

+ commandos are very expensive

brits definitely need some viable AT... i don't know what can be done about it, but ATM the only way you can hope to kill german tanks is by luck or if you manage to shreck some commandos ...

maybe. ... you know. ... the commandos are one of those troops who gain new weaponry first and stuff ... so maybe they could get so many shrecks as loot from some battles past (or imaginary battles past) against cost and maybe limited to 3 ?

or you fix piat accuracy ...
VariantThirteen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 04:37:49 am »

Commandoes are not, and never should be AT infantry. As far as I'm concerned, that would just make them another Vanilla AB/Ranger style elite infantry.
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 04:41:55 am »

What about the Commando PIAT squad. Use what you have before you ask for more. This is not another form of the US Army.
It's the Commonwealth. You have to change your tactics now.
If you can't play Brits then go back to Americans.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc