Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:23:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hummels firepower make up for it's speed?  (Read 8819 times)
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« on: March 08, 2009, 12:02:44 pm »

I'm just curious if you guys think the hummels firepower makes up for its king tiger speed. Keep in mind we live in a world where tet tanks can get dropped right on it, it's insanely inaccurate, so you have to move it up pretty close (for an arty piece) for shells to land where you want them to on top of having to lock it down to get the added range. But at the same time it does about the damage of a shreck when it hits vehicles and it wrecks and soft targets it hits.

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:31:33 pm »

No the firepower does not make up for it's speed. It's firepower is pretty generic and it most gets infantry kills. Which funny enough don't require 200 damage to be applied to them. Thats why the calliope is so lauded as the best arty in the game. It fires many low damage projectiles which are great at killing infantry over a wide area. Taking 1-2 men off 2 or 3 squads does more damage to someone then taking 4 or 5 guys off 1 squad. I unlocked the hummel on my Wehr army and it blows. It's vet is pretty junk(25% more speed on a hummel... really?) and it rarely ever hits things, sure you will clip the odd infantry squads but for it's cost and population on the map it just isn;t worth the investment. Not to mention it has a hell of a time meshing with a PE army. Even Wehr has a hard time as so many allied thing can drop in kill you and get out, or run up and gun you and get out. So keeping it near the front with your Paks/Schreks doesn't save it from the suicide charges and keeping it further back doesn't save it from Airborne or Tets. It's not bad in a large team environment, but in all honesty I'd rather have a nebel or Stuka in the situation. The faster refire is far more valuable.

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
EscforrealityTLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:40:06 pm »

My only problem with the Hummel is how stupidly slow it is coupled with how weak it armour is. I have to agree though the safest place for it is just behind the front, but when a break through occurs I usually loose it.

Pwanawan baby!
TheDeadlyShoe Offline
Weapon of Math Destruction
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:34:33 pm »

The Hummel is pretty great at killing howitzers. Annoyingly great. Damn things.

I've never used a Hummel in EIR, and I realize they are ludicrously slow, but they're still faster than a Howitzer. 
Scyntos Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:03:46 am »

My hummel sucks just as much at vet 3 as it did without vet. The 5th shot is useless.. only the first 2 shots ever do anything.. it's extreme range is useless when you watch the immense spread from the barrage. You'd look and think 1 good hit and you'd make up for it.. but the shot never hits in the middle of the target.. so you off-centre the barrage and it's even worse. When the calliope.. even though with the max range making damage output pretty bad but useful spread... it's still going to hit something.

In a comparison I'd have to say my vet 3 calliope that gets 30-40 kills a game firing every 110 seconds is much more useful than my vet 3 hummel getting 9-15 kills firing every (god I can't remember, Believe it's 120sec).
gamesguy1 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 12:33:01 am »

Axis relies more on weapon teams atm because the superiority of the axis mortars negate allied weapon teams pretty well.  This is why the hummel is relatively weak atm, because allies do not use all that many support weapons compared to axis.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 12:50:20 am »

oh noes...your gun is too slow...lets see, it has the same range as the howitzer only different by 25 units, the priest is 175 it has higher acceleration than the priest (1 to 0.Cool I love the Hummel. I'm thinkin of playing scorched earth and pwning with the Hummel so people stop saying its weak.

Lets compare towed arty

Dmg and range
Hummel 200 dmg 250 rng
Priest 200 dmg 175 rng
Calliope 50-30 dmg each rocket 250 rng  (medium is 60 short 30)
Howie is 200 dmg 275 rng
25 Lbr is 200 dmg 175 rng

so the hummel out ranges the priest and the 24 lbr, is the same as calliope, w/o the spread and just short of the howitzer, which is stationary. the Hummel is accurate at all ranges and has great penetration.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:07:12 am »

the Hummel is accurate at all ranges...

are you sure about that? hummel is incredibly inaccurate. I just played a game where apollo must have fired about 3 barrages in an area trying to take out a mortar, and he never killed it. it's about as accurate as a nebel at far range.
gamesguy1 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 01:10:24 am »

the Hummel is accurate at all ranges...

are you sure about that? hummel is incredibly inaccurate. I just played a game where apollo must have fired about 3 barrages in an area trying to take out a mortar, and he never killed it. it's about as accurate as a nebel at far range.

hummel is the most accurate of all onmap artillery.
Scyntos Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 03:12:57 am »

I swear to god... You guys really need to put your stats away and actually play with a unit. As ESC said.. for it to be accurate it has to be at short to medium range... at long range is as inaccurate as all hell. And to put it on the front line to be accurate when it's slow.. and has very little armor is more of a hazard than it's worth.

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 04:11:44 am »

I swear to god... You guys really need to put your stats away and actually play with a unit. As ESC said.. for it to be accurate it has to be at short to medium range... at long range is as inaccurate as all hell. And to put it on the front line to be accurate when it's slow.. and has very little armor is more of a hazard than it's worth.

the hummel gets 100% accurate at all ranges BUT all artillery can fire out of its max range, now when you do thta, you suffer an accuracy penalty.

I  use stats to make things clear when people try to specular.

the hummel is great at taking out enemy artillery and buildings. The reason you prolly had a tough time taking out a mortar is because of the hummels lower and faster firing arc as opposed to a howitzer. This is how you use a hummel properly.

bring it up into optimal range  (250 units and in basically within yellow cirlce) fire, move it back to spawn, wh n ther'es 30 seconds to fire, start to move it up, find target fire, move it away. If you are keeping it in one area after it fires, you're asking for it to get counter barraged or hunted.

here's your proof of its accuracy.

http://coh-stats.com/Weapon:150mm_Hummel_Howitzer

I swear...I've made a PE account and I'm going to post replays of how to use the Hummel cuz you axis players can't seem to figure it out and keep whining. Just watch me pwn.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:15:56 am by Tymathee » Logged
Dragon2008 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 05:01:03 am »

the hummel gets 100% accurate at all ranges BUT all artillery can fire out of its max range, now when you do thta, you suffer an accuracy penalty.

Have u even used the hummel?? It doesn't have 100% accuracy. I had a vet 3 Hummel even then it either shot over where I makred to fire/fired too short or missed completely. Stop pulling stats out your a**e when you probly avnt even used it. The hummel gets 4-5 shots depending on vet and misses them all with one actully hitting after 3 attempts. The Calliope gets like 20-30 rockets and hit directly and kills every unit its that circle and only has a 20 second extra cool down.

The speed on the hummel is absolutly c**p and gets out ran by bloody airborne on "fireup". WTF!!! Atleast the Calliope can actully get away quick enough and has better armor than the hummel. The hummel gets taken out by small arms fire. I actully got rid of my hummel for a stuka cos it actully hits its target more and gets it value for money back in 1 battle unlike hummel.

So to answer your question is Hummels firepower make up for it's speed?

Answer: No way does it's Firepower make up for it speed.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T @ 3.3ghz
RAM: 4GB
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X (EVO)
Graphics Card: ATI HD 6970 2GB
Hard Drive: 1TB
MannfredvonRitter Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 06:12:12 am »

Hummel should be used the same was as a calliope.

Move up close, fire a barrage, run back to spawn. It's unlikely to die in that way, granted the calliope is wtfpwn in comparison to all. But the Hummel is still superior to all other artillery units axis and allies have.

BTW:
Every fired a hummel close range into an infantry blob, i.e. tommy blob.....

EliteGrens Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 07:05:25 am »

Lost my 320 xp hummel to 2 hits (!) of counter battery.
Seriously wtf.
Scyntos Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 07:22:39 am »

the hummel is great at taking out enemy artillery and buildings. The reason you prolly had a tough time taking out a mortar is because of the hummels lower and faster firing arc as opposed to a howitzer. This is how you use a hummel properly.

bring it up into optimal range  (250 units and in basically within yellow cirlce) fire, move it back to spawn, wh n ther'es 30 seconds to fire, start to move it up, find target fire, move it away. If you are keeping it in one area after it fires, you're asking for it to get counter barraged or hunted.

I swear...I've made a PE account and I'm going to post replays of how to use the Hummel cuz you axis players can't seem to figure it out and keep whining. Just watch me pwn.

Okay. You do that and remember to post all your replays and screenshots so we can confirm your godliness and not just that we need to L2P.

I'd love to see you keep running your hummel back and forth from your spawn and still make it efficient.

The more hilarious part in this is that you said you made a PE account. I feel sorry for anyone that actually plays scorched earth for the hummel.. because you can't protect it. You don't have enough adequate Anti-tank or Anti-Infantry and still be useful to your allies while your big ass cannon is sitting there taking up pop cap.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:27:08 am by Scyntos » Logged
MannfredvonRitter Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 07:41:52 am »

Okay. You do that and remember to post all your replays and screenshots so we can confirm your godliness and not just that we need to L2P.

I'd love to see you keep running your hummel back and forth from your spawn and still make it efficient.

The more hilarious part in this is that you said you made a PE account. I feel sorry for anyone that actually plays scorched earth for the hummel.. because you can't protect it. You don't have enough adequate Anti-tank or Anti-Infantry and still be useful to your allies while your big ass cannon is sitting there taking up pop cap.

Scyn makes a valid point.

Because PE lacks HMG's and in general force multiplying AI, they can't protect things like the hummel. A single HMG and a double shreck in vicinity would be enough generally. Because of how PE works, it isn't. Firstly the double isn't viable. Secondly the HMG doesn't exist. What do you use to stop a ranger squad or AB squad? You need at least 2 FJ to kill the AB before they kill the hummel, then if a tetrach drops you need a double shreck and a marder most likely to ensure it doesn't kill the hummel before the return fire kills it. That's 23 pop of defence, combined with the 10 or is it 11pop hummel? 34 pop all tied up in an artillery unit, now whilst the hummel itself may be useful, protecting it is hard.

So you're left with some options:

Far away and hope it isn't attacked/near spawn
Close up to benefit from support of troops but at a breakthrough it dies
Mid range, probably the worst idea.

Now, the reality is that axis lacks as many behind the lines killy stuff as allies do. So axis artillery is more vulnerable in general.

Options I see, capable of taking down a howitzer are quite risky and ineffective, bear in mind you need to destroy it, not just decrew.

You can only do this with stormtroopers (short of forcing the enemy from the field).

That is the same, whether it's a priest, howitzer or calliope, although with the latter it is far harder.

The issue really, isn't whether axis artillery is better/worse. It is more so how survivable it is. It is less survivable and ironically not even due to its speed or weak armour etc. But due to the options allies have for countering it. It is for this reason, that veteran axis players (for the majority) don't make extensive usage of heavy or medium artillery, relying more often upon mortars.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 09:15:38 am »

Could have sworn i said the exact same thin in the 2nd post... but in less words
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 11:30:51 am »

to dragon2008 I have used the Hummel, countless times and I know how good it is and how to use it. I'm actually pretty good as PE I found out last night as I barely won my 1st game. I'm not saying I'm great with the Hummel but the way you guys whine about it is ridiculous.

and omg who's the idiot that said the callie is 100% accurate? lol it just has a wide spread. stand still  in the barrage. It only hits the same spot 2-3 times maybe 4 at short range. but if you're moving more rockets hit you. A lot of axis players seriously make allies artillery more incredible than they really are. While at the same time, the axis spam their mortar's of d00m which can take out half a squad in one hit or like the other day my whole mortar squad in one hit. Or stukas which can take down houses in one shot,  or nebels which can clear out a house in one shot. The mortar ht which is tough to kill and can just zoom away from danger. Much faster and for cheaper than any allied artillery.

Anywho...point blank, allies need artillery, that's why its so good. If both sides negate their artillery and go head to head, the allies will lose the majorty of the time because the axis units, especially wehr just hit harder.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 11:45:15 am »

Anywho...point blank, allies need artillery, that's why its so good. If both sides negate their artillery and go head to head, the allies will lose the majorty of the time because the axis units, especially wehr just hit harder.

I totally agree with you there. the allies have always been more about suppression and survival in their upgrades where the axis have always been more about damage and killing in theirs.

Thats where eir in the past balanced it out, the allies had vet that added killing and axis had vet that added survivability..

hmm...!

BigDick
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 11:47:51 am »

imho is the hummel a piece of crap

expensive, slow like hell, and paper armour

just a waste of 4pp since airbornes tetrach or suicide m10 kill this slow bastard in a few hits
and a waste of ressources since pe pays for each not recrewable at gun 170 fuel

but im looking forward to enjoy Thymathee's PE WTFpwn replays

hope he don't stack to noobstomp for that

because with great wehrmacht players against a noobteam even his hummel crippled pe team can pull a win off with him sitting in the back and constantly shelling the map
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:49:43 am by BigDick » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc