Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 10:34:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Capability Orientated Factional Analysis  (Read 7225 times)
Khorney Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 11:41:49 am »

nice summary guys.
i still think there's something funny with wehrmacht, but that could just be the lack of doctrines. it's not so much their overall composition, they just have several ridiculously useful upgrades and units that are just unmatched by other factions without investing alot more resources relatively to counter them, that seem to be more holdovers from vCoH's economy. this also could be linked more to the fact i mainly play british, although, im sure some players will agree there are at least a couple of inconsistencies with wehrmacht
sgMisten Offline
Donator

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 08:37:34 pm »

Just doesn't feel complete if I don't post any recommendations. So adding them in. Have to keep in mind Dev preference for not changing vCoH stats unless absolutely necessary. These proposals are also only to address the most glaring issues, according to me. If you want a comprehensive unit by unit blow, Mysthalin and Smokaz seem to have done one already for Brits, none yet for PE.

Amis
Calliope: Increase pop cap to 11/12. Tricky to balance unit if not touching vCoH stats. It's already costly enough. Pop cap seems to be the other way, to gimp support units for it.

Brits
Give mortar pit and 25 pounder supercharge for now (at least until doctrines come in). This one ability alone should address their constant pressure problem.

Wehr
Reduce Pak cloak shot from cover to 1 shot. 3 shot cloak severely gimps allied armour in the current environment without OBM-like abilities.

PE
Let all PZG variants repair again.

Give repair speed bonus to all PE vehicles (say 2x of current).

Reduce pop cap of Marder 3 and Mortar HT by 1 pop each. High pop cap relative to other mortars/ATGs makes it hard for PE to field units.

Revert armour type and increase HP of PZGs to normalise their resistance to different weapon types. But since this is a massive vCoH change, the only other option is to reduce MP cost of PZGs by 10-15 MP. Makes them a bit zergy though, for an 'Elite' faction.

Give either the scout car and/or kettenkrad the sight range bonus that a jeep or motorbike gives.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:46:29 pm by sgMisten » Logged
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 08:52:16 pm »

Something tells me that the Luftwaffe Ketten is going to be the best scout in the game, bar none. But we really shouldn't balance off doctrines.
sgMisten Offline
Donator

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 08:55:26 pm »

Something tells me that the Luftwaffe Ketten is going to be the best scout in the game, bar none. But we really shouldn't balance off doctrines.

Good point on the Luftwaffe Ketten. The vCoH Ketten was more of a mechanised support unit than any. A cloaked ketten with sight range buff would be really powerful at low cost and 1 pop. 2 ways about this - either not give kettens any sight range bonus, or reduce the sight range when cloaked. Then it's a flip between being undetected or seeing far.

But yea, shouldn't balance off doctrines. But that throws my suggestion on supercharge for Brits at the moment out the window. I do feel that the Brit mortar has to have a range advantage considering it's not very mobile. Perhaps supercharge can be given only to the canadian doctrine off the bat, like how assault is unlocked for Wehr?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:21:38 pm by sgMisten » Logged
gamesguy1 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 12:31:23 am »

I disagree on the MHT.  Its incredibly good atm and one mortar HT can last me the entire game, its also immune to snipers and counter mortars, and resistant to artillery, the three primary killers of regular mortars.

It needs a drastic cost increase, especially if the pop cost is decreased.
sgMisten Offline
Donator

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 12:51:53 am »

I disagree on the MHT.  Its incredibly good atm and one mortar HT can last me the entire game, its also immune to snipers and counter mortars, and resistant to artillery, the three primary killers of regular mortars.

It needs a drastic cost increase, especially if the pop cost is decreased.

Does this mean you agree with the rest? Stick with the major weaknesses of each faction brought out by my analysis, don't just focus on one unit, thanks.
VariantThirteen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 01:11:22 am »

Thanks for bringing those up, 13.

I will differentiate between "distance pressure units" and "artillery" units now. "Distance pressure units" provide continual pressure. If they see a target, they can keep attacking, forcing the enemy to respond either by attacking immediately to remove the pressure, or to withdraw from a position. These units also have much better accuracy than artillery.

"Artillery", primarily because of the cooldown (though some have short cooldowns e.g. Nebelwerfer), and typically poor accuracy, do not force a response until you hear them firing, and they do not keep pressuring you as consistently as snipers or mortars would.

---

I did not specifically include stalemate breaker units, because all factions typically have some form of such units, which while not wholly accurate, I have approximated to be the same in effect. These units also have to get within weapons range and are vulnerable to counter attack.

Examples will be the elite infantry as you mentioned, crocodile sherman, crocodile churchill, KT, TA, and others. These units are however, 'infantry' and 'tanks', and are subject to anti-infantry and anti-tank counters, and can be attacked by them since their range is not long.

Does this address your points satisfactorily?

It addresses them quite well, though I disagree on the second point. US clearly has the game's best stalemate breakers for most situations - AB RR's with Fire Up are a league ahead of anything the other factions can muster, and Rangers are better than either FJ's or Storms, who are both probably better than Commandos. Assault Grenades sort of helped Wehr with this a bit in the past, but I don't believe it ever put them anywhere close to ABs.
Mysthalin_Axis Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 11:26:01 am »

2 light cover vanilla storm squads can defeat 2 charging mando squads without losing a man. Smoke might change this, but seeing as it takes 300 seconds for it to recharge...
SaintPauli Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 11:43:31 am »

Brits
Give mortar pit and 25 pounder supercharge for now (at least until doctrines come in). This one ability alone should address their constant pressure problem.
The problem with “single unit” buffs like supercharge is that the unit is good with it and useless without it…
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc