Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:33:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get rid of smurfing if it offends so many people.  (Read 3775 times)
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« on: May 30, 2009, 03:06:52 pm »

Imo there's actually three legitimate reasons for smurfing or playing under names not primarily associated or associated at all with your EIRR forum account:

- Your stats/name are so good/bad that you have trouble getting a game on your original account
- You are testing new strats
- its a new company (not really a smurf)

Then there's the not so adorable points of origin:

- Grief companies (goliath horde)
- Name changing to avoid people recognizing you
- Noob ambush (less effective since stats always show)

I see a lot of complaining if I've changed my profile name or is playing with a new account. For a long time I have imagined that I do this mostly because I have trouble getting a game under the smokaz account which is not a horrid counterstack, a game I have to spend 30 minutes to set up the teams for myself or a boring stomp.

However, I have come to realize that I think it would be cleaner and better for everyone if you had one account that all your company account names were tied so it always could be identified in launcher. This would provide observant players with the information they need to avoid noob ambushes and enforce a more stabile behaviour from certain players including myself which might be positive for everyone.

It is my hope that 006 implements a hard stop to smurfing and makes it impossible to mask the true company owner. This and the increasing of gained PPs for playing with new players would be very positive for the way teams and the games where the teams play are created in the launcher.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Blitzen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:12:02 pm »

Seconded

Bullshit, only fags and girls dont like star wars Tongue
Scyn Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:27:41 pm »

Feel free to suggest implementation methods of getting rid of it.

God is a genetically induced obsession that we interpret in such a way as to maintain our obedience.
wildsolus Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:28:24 pm »

limit one account per IP and ban people who proxy and try to get around it

Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 03:34:15 pm »

Have one "big account", that's somehow connected to the IP or something.
When you make new accounts you can hover over the name and see the big account name, the same thing that happens when you change the name and don't wait long enough.

SaintPauli Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 04:20:42 pm »

However, I have come to realize that I think it would be cleaner and better for everyone if you had one account
You can always start with yourself…
Freek Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:47:21 pm »

Allow more than 1 company per account (like the 3 companies in Old EiR) that would be rather nice...
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 06:10:18 pm »

As much as this would be good.

Im spending my time focusing on the actual mod - not training people to 'play nice'.

Even eliminating the accounts to 1 IP per player would end up with much more coding.

Maybe in the future, when 'or something...' isnt in the suggested fixes.

Cheers
Wink

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Latios418 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 06:22:08 pm »

You can always start with yourself…

Way to be a total dumbass. Read all of what he said, not select parts of it and give them a completely different meaning.

Anonymous 06/19/09(Fri)11:55 No.4931966

Is Akranadas in this thread? Fucker can't stop bragging about his "waifu taldeer" and cosplaying in an eldar farseer costume while shouting "Flithy monkeighs!" interspaced with random eldar gibberish.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 08:35:18 pm »

When you make new accounts you can hover over the name and see the big account name, the same thing that happens when you change the name and don't wait long enough.

I like this idea. So you hae one main account and the other sub-accounts...taking ideas for omg are we?

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Latios418 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 09:03:55 pm »

Not at all, considering the "sub accounts" on OMG can only be used for non-war games, which nobody EVER plays. Haven't ever seen a non-war game happen.

What Smokaz and Baine are talking about is you can have any number of accounts like you can now, but they're tied to an overall name so you can't hide your identity.
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 09:37:23 pm »

What we would ultimately like to have is a lock on the number of account name changes you can possible do in a period of time.
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 04:48:13 am »

I like this idea. So you hae one main account and the other sub-accounts...taking ideas for omg are we?

I have no clue how OMG does it. That's what i came up with.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 04:56:34 am »

It's not because OMG uses an idea that they are the ones who came up with it...
Sach Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 07:11:39 am »

smurfs don't bother me as i would never avoid a player. I do however avoid companies where I know that the PP advantage is so great that its just not worth playing. So from that perspective smurfing is fine by me, however I also would not object to your idea.

Sach Wins! Cheesy

Would people please stop killing my AVREs. Not cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc