Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 11:41:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back Capping -- Discussion  (Read 12439 times)
GarnierMcGarvey Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 03:52:22 pm »

This problem occurs most often on square maps.  But in general I would say it is a map issue rather than a general gameplay issue.
That's why I brought it up, so we could figure out ways to hinder it so it's never as big an issue on the maps on which it is an issue.

VERTIGGO Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 06:32:13 am »

It's definitely not legitimate to the extent that it is currently exploited. On the one hand, it needs to be possible to flank and capture territory, and in many games I notice that if my team hasn't protected either one it is steadily turned, but I see the opposite just as often. It should not be possible for 1 or 2 lone infantry (or a recon vehicle for that matter) to just sneak around taking all kinds of territory because you didn't notice them. That's just a low method of stealing someone's legitimate victory. Of course flanking and cutting off supply is a real tactic, but it requires serious investment in force, not some lone halftrack with engineers out for a joy ride.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but the fix would have to be something like increasing a threshold for number of cappers required as one approaches the enemy rear. So for example, it only takes one volks/rifle to cap your own first territory, but as you pass the center line of the field it is not only slow with few men, but impossible without reaching a certain threshold in each territory.

TOV units = intentionally OP marketing gimmicks
ImmanioEiR Offline
Donator

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 07:54:10 am »

Thread necromancy much?

Me, I certainly consider backcapping to be a perfectly valid and legitimate tactic. If someone backcaps with an understrength infantry squad (as I often do) then you can kill it without much effort, as long as you notice it. Noticing a backcap in progress by keeping an eye on the sectors is an essential part of the situational awareness in EiR. If you don't have a single unit to send to stop it, well, then your opponent is doing an excellent job keeping you tied up at the front.
sururu Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 08:18:11 am »

^^ What he said

oh and

It's definitely not legitimate to the extent that it is currently exploited.

lol?
how can one exploit back capping? its YOUR fault for not protecting the flanks.

A small "1 or 2 lone infantry" were known to take out mortars, mg's, radar stations, even artillery emplacements, while successfully eluding the enemy and raiding behind enemy lines.

All it takes to prevent it is to keep a "1 or 2 lone infantry" in a side sector where you dont want that backcapping to occur.. if you dont really want to be actually protecting your flank.

LopesHugo
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:22:31 am by sururu » Logged
Falcon333 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 08:30:27 am »

mines, the cheap way of covering your flanks.

"Chance favors the prepared mind"
mapleleafsnation Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 08:36:42 am »

So we're down to the point that tactics need to be nerfed? Really?

It's not cheap to have an army who's inferior in terms of manpower to outwit you and backcap. It's probably the intelligent tactic for them. If someone loses to backcapping they have no one to blame but themselves.
sgMisten Offline
Donator

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 09:10:23 am »

Backcapping is fine, provides an alternative to head on conflict and artillery fests. If there's a massive backcapping issue it's due to map design.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 09:18:43 am »

Actually it would be nice if there was some kind of limitation to defenders ability to backcap beyond the first three minutes. If you have ever played Draken defending you would know why. He sacrifices anything to keep you from capping a sector, immediatly shifts a infantry squad over to cap the other sector if you gang up 1 place. It just doesnt feel like an attack if the defender has the ability to completely limit your forces in his favor right up outside your spawn. Defender already had the time to set up a superior position, played like this he gets more forces as well. I wonder what is more normal, for attackers to outnumber the defenders or the other way around? *duuh*

I know its good play so please don't lecture me on that, my point would be that it severely limits the fun of attack and makes gimmicking defensive companies too powerful when you can predict a defend.

Btw, what about cap-in-yo-ass capping? I find this annoying too.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:38:36 am by Smokaz » Logged

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sach Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 10:47:11 am »

I think newer players just need to learn to not leave sectors with nothing in. Back in the day if you left a front line sector empty you would be yelled out of vent.

Sach Wins! Cheesy

Would people please stop killing my AVREs. Not cool.
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 11:08:04 am »

Backcapping is not an issue (a broken one anyway), it's a legitimate tactic that can throw an enemy team off guard if they aren't protecting their flanks.  It's an alternative to throwing everything you have at one heavily defended point, and forces the enemy to spread out or at least divert forces to meet the intruding recon/diversionary section.

Attacking players can do the same thing, and if the defender can cut off an attacker's chain of support, then that's poor tactics and should not be blamed on the system.  And about the issue of the defender having a superior position and numbers, remember that the defenders are spread out across the map to prevent a breakout, ideally, while the attackers can all hit a single spot and force a breakthrough.  And if the defenders are heavily dug in on one spot, then they're the ones who become susceptible to a flank/backcap and it can dislodge many of their troops and allow the attackers an easier chance to break through the front line.

Congratulations, dear sir...I must say, never before have I seen such precise gunnery displayed. - CrazyWR (on Leaderboard Howitzers)

RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 11:28:40 am »

Back capping is fine, think about this, the enemy sends a 2 man rifle squad to cap an unsecured flank... well couldn't you have just as easily put a 1 man gren squad in a building on that flank? or heck built yourself sand bags and wire over there? not only would you prevent them from capping but you could also be in a better position to fight.

ive won a few games lately simply through superior unit placement and keeping an eye on the battle field and moving a low man unit into a different sector. On some maps you can play shitty, but do decent if you watch which sectors you are capping and such.

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
Blitzen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 11:55:41 am »

Look at it the other way.  If theres some weak squad trying to cap your side, its an easy kill.  Drive over, eats them, drive back.  Back cap = piv/sherman fodder.

Bullshit, only fags and girls dont like star wars Tongue
Armormaven Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 12:30:28 pm »

I understand the frustration with backcapping where a single unit caps and then hides but I also agree it is perfectly legitimate and sometimes necessary when playing Axis who like to set up Mortar Brigades defended by Paks, heavy tanks and Assault Grenadiers.  Then sit and mortar out any Mgs or AT guns or allied mortars.  And in case you thought you could dislodge them with Arty they either teleport Stromtroopers with schreks in who one shot your howitzer and then flee or else they weave a bike through your lines and get LOS for a rocket strike on your arty.

So in that case, yes backcapping is necessary if for no other reason than to peel off units from the brigade or make the enemy turn his front entirely. 

However what i think would help with the annoying one unit back capping is if MORE not less  units could cap.
crimsonrabbit Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 12:46:09 pm »

its just how it is.

I defy all laws of scienceee.

This is Bunny.
Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
(\__/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")
Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 01:05:24 pm »

its just how it is.

you wrote the same in 2 topics  Roll Eyes

Imo maps made like RTC (more sectors close to spawn less in middle) are the best, map like france if you loose middle which is like 6 sectors you lost key buildings and you are bleeding very fast on pop so it's way harder to prepare counter atack, with many sectors in middle.
Armfelt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 01:08:35 pm »

You could see it as cutting of the enemies supplies, it can be a neccessary and effective way to win.

The best maps in my oppinion is about three to four territories wide (when 2vs2), that way it is possible both to defend and and flank (attack). I don´t like when they are too narrow.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:14:03 pm by Armfelt » Logged

"Well opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc