Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 10:49:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am abused, I am forgotten, I am worthless; I am the average infantryman  (Read 21275 times)
sgMisten Offline
Donator

« on: August 17, 2009, 10:15:21 am »

Once upon a time, whether I was a rifleman, a volksgrenadier, or grenadier, I had a purpose in life with just my rifle. I could shoot other infantry, take out support weapon teams, and help turn the tide of battle 1 bullet at a time.

But today, I feel nothing more than cannon fodder (well even more fodder than I was previously). Whether I am a rifleman, a volksgrenadier, a panzergrenadier or a tommie, I cannot help but feel that I am just a mere pawn in this game of war.

Whereas vehicles were once rare or easily countered by a friendly AT gun, now they rampage across france like the Rhonim of Middle Earth. Rampaging T17s, Staghounds, HT/Puma armour class HTs/ACs, IHT clowncars, Bren clowncars, Kangaroo clowncars all laugh at my rifle's tickles, and proceed to mow me and my fellowmen down. There is almost nothing for me to shoot at and hurt; but everything can penetrate my uniform and flesh. Some support weapons are even mounted on vehicles, hence reducing my impact on the battlefield. Halftracks that once required men to crew now have their machineguns manned without need of crew, hence increasing the number of my immune foes.

I reach for my anti-tank weapon to protect my puny life, but high command deems these weapons of the highest quality, contracting them out to the highest bidder, hence making them amongst the most expensive weapons available to either sides' war machines. And most of them generally fail to hit or penetrate their targets; particularly if they are swift, speedy, and take 6-8 pop cap.

This once great brotherhood of the common soldier, the hard-working workhorses of the allied and axis armies, the key to victory, now relegated to cannon fodder, extra MP expenditure, support weapon recrewing and territory capping. If nothing is done, then my fate is to be drowned beneath the rampage of tanks and light vehicles, and my rifle is useless against so many targets that it be better served as a walking stick for the horde of wounded from these many battles.

Signed,
A common infantryman
Ununoctium Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:20:09 am »

ahhh rofls...

pgs dont fit there, give them g43s and assault nades and then they become no standard infantry anymore.

Quote from: shockcoil
Quote from: CrazyWR
My tigers get penetrated by everything.  Its really really frustrating.
Your tiger is a whore
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:47:58 am »

+1 Misten, well said!

CafeMilani Offline
Aloha

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:06:10 pm »

i feel exactly the same.

just keep changing light vehicles that every f*cking noob can pwn with them

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:07:20 pm »

lol nice.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 12:07:48 pm »

i feel exactly the same.

just keep changing light vehicles that every f*cking noob can pwn with them

do you always have to say things so harshly? this is how  you got banned the first time, chill out already or just dont play.
CafeMilani Offline
Aloha

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 12:20:18 pm »

thats how i think and feel about it. and thats my experience..
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 12:32:22 pm »

Infantry have always been just to cap and hold area vs other infantry. They only come to the front of importance when you are playing a capping game, or everyone is out of vehicles.

This is how its always been. Its not like the number of vehicles in game has gone up even, you just think it has. I used to run STuG/STuH companies with 12 assault guns.

As for the why, its because infantry can't hurt vehicles without specific weapons, whereas even with an AT vehicles, you can kill infantry given time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:34:07 pm by AmPM » Logged

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 12:33:58 pm »

Its not like the number of vehicles in game has gone up even, you just think it has
It has actually, at least from the old EIR. We've been giving out more Fuel in comparison to the other resources.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 12:34:52 pm »

Really? So on average the normal Wehr company is running 12 vehicles tanks + nebels? Even running Armor with light vehicles I have less than that.
Warlight Offline
Donator

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 12:37:09 pm »

ahhh rofls...

pgs dont fit there, give them g43s and assault nades and then they become no standard infantry anymore.

They still fit in there.

Trust me. 
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:39:17 pm »

So on average the normal Wehr company is running 12 vehicles tanks + nebels?
No but mind you that was back when we had no availability and Stugs at 120 F or so. If it wasn't for availability you could easily be running 24 Upgunned pumas for example.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 12:41:09 pm »

They are 50 fuel, of course you could.

So since there is availability, there are actually fewer vehicles in use than there used to be. Even at current prices I could do like an a 8 STuG company (other than availability killing themes and flavor). I think the reason you see so many vehicles right now is nobody can fill out their company without them, and you may as well pick them up in that case.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 12:46:28 pm »

So since there is availability, there are actually fewer vehicles in use than there used to be.
Perhaps, one thing to note though is that in the old EIR vehicles were a lot less popular and generally conceived as less survivable (there were exceptions, notably the M8 and Puma spam at one point)

In addition, TOV did add at least one light vehicle to every faction.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 12:52:27 pm »

I think it has more to do with the limited repair system. If you want to use vehicles you have to make sure to have a bunch of them or they become useless after a few hits.

As for infantry being useful other than for capping or recrewing, well, thats all they really do. Grens were popular back in the day because they were 4 pop and could use dual LMG/Schrecks or mix them. So it was an excellent amount of force on field for the pop. Which is what the game really comes down to.

However, every doctrine other than US Armor needs infantry. PE especially use a ton of them mixed in with vehicles, Brits are almost all infantry. I talked to Nev about it, and my theory is that since most people don't have a ton of doctrines right now they would rather take vehicles over non-buffed infantry.
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 01:58:01 pm »

Once upon a time, whether I was a rifleman, a volksgrenadier, or grenadier, I had a purpose in life with just my rifle. I could shoot other infantry, take out support weapon teams, and help turn the tide of battle 1 bullet at a time.

But today, I feel nothing more than cannon fodder (well even more fodder than I was previously). Whether I am a rifleman, a volksgrenadier, a panzergrenadier or a tommie, I cannot help but feel that I am just a mere pawn in this game of war.

Whereas vehicles were once rare or easily countered by a friendly AT gun, now they rampage across france like the Rhonim of Middle Earth. Rampaging T17s, Staghounds, HT/Puma armour class HTs/ACs, IHT clowncars, Bren clowncars, Kangaroo clowncars all laugh at my rifle's tickles, and proceed to mow me and my fellowmen down. There is almost nothing for me to shoot at and hurt; but everything can penetrate my uniform and flesh. Some support weapons are even mounted on vehicles, hence reducing my impact on the battlefield. Halftracks that once required men to crew now have their machineguns manned without need of crew, hence increasing the number of my immune foes.

I reach for my anti-tank weapon to protect my puny life, but high command deems these weapons of the highest quality, contracting them out to the highest bidder, hence making them amongst the most expensive weapons available to either sides' war machines. And most of them generally fail to hit or penetrate their targets; particularly if they are swift, speedy, and take 6-8 pop cap.

This once great brotherhood of the common soldier, the hard-working workhorses of the allied and axis armies, the key to victory, now relegated to cannon fodder, extra MP expenditure, support weapon recrewing and territory capping. If nothing is done, then my fate is to be drowned beneath the rampage of tanks and light vehicles, and my rifle is useless against so many targets that it be better served as a walking stick for the horde of wounded from these many battles.

Signed,
A common infantryman

I concur, and I believe the devs kind of do, too, but the problem is that companies are not as big as they used to be. No longer do you have 10,000 manpower to splurge on all of that common infantry once your fuel runs out (which, inevitably, it did), and no longer do you have over 2,000 munitions to buy every upgrade you could ever want, and no more is there offmap spam, so even against the support spam you had something to break through. Across-the-board nerfs can make the game more uniform and thus more balanced, but I'm afraid it's going to turn into tabletop CoH. You get two tanks and six squads of space marines infantry, and that's it.

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 02:15:19 pm »

Would increasing the Manpower available help at all though?

Sometimes I miss the old days, when a tank was a tank, and vanilla infantry spam would cap around it.
Aggamemnon Offline
Donator

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 02:25:09 pm »

You can still get a shitload of infantry if that's what you want to go for though.

"Success on D-Day, depended entirely on these men"
Trishut Offline
Donator

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 02:34:30 pm »

I miss the good old days when AC and more could be damaged by the common infantrymans rifle.

And more manpower would make me get more rifles, that's for sure.

Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 02:38:44 pm »

I also miss the days were non upgraded infantry did something else than get killed/cap/recrew :p.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc