Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2024, 04:30:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Yesterday at 02:38:41 pm]

[October 05, 2024, 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My 2 Cents as a nobody  (Read 4012 times)
VanOwen Offline
Donator

« on: March 15, 2011, 08:56:54 am »

I have just started playing EIR within the past week or so.  I thought it might be useful for people to see what its like for a relatively new player to come to this mod and try to pick it up from scratch.  Just to give you some back ground information: I do play some RTS style games but, in general I avoid most multiplayer/death match kinds of games.  I usually find cooperative games far more enjoyable then directly competitive games where people get to brag about their skill or meta-gaming theory.  I suppose I have reached a point in life where I just can't be bothered with impressing other people and I am simply more interested in having fun.

I have had minimal experience playing vCoH online (2-3 games possibly) but, I have played a number of skirmish matches in vCoH and in the excellent BotB mod.  So am I am somewhat familiar with the units, structure and concepts of the game.  The most useful thing to mention to complete novices is that this game is not an accurate simulation of WWII era combat but rather, a computer game of rock, scissors, paper using WWII themed units in their place.

I happen to have vCoH installed through steam.  Getting the installer to figure this out was simple however, I did need to remember the full path.  Perhaps a script in the installer that can look for the install path (default or steam) and then give you the path recommendation would make this even easier.

The latest forum guides are a very good step into getting people's feet wet as to how to create their first company and what one should do for their starting squad.  My only quip is that it was not made clear to me that I could fill up all of the rest of the platoon tabs with units and as such in the first map I tried I had 8 units to call in from the first screen.  A rookie mistake to be sure but, I was a complete rookie.  I think perhaps a full diagram showing a sample of multiple platoon tabs being filled out would help new folks avoid that trap.  One thing that needs to be stressed to players is that they should build their company around a core set of units or tactics.  Namely, pick what you want to do/use on the field and then build your company around doing that and supporting it.

One of the biggest challenges so far is to decide what to do in EIR with a faction/doctrine and how to create your company as a result.  The factions/doctrines are definitely useful but, for someone that doesn't know them in and out, its hard to know what faction will suit your play-style.  Perhaps a quick guide on what the factions are and what kinds of play-style each one is suited to would help new folks find their place easier.  I don't mean something detailed but something along the lines of (Do you like tanks? Give Armor a try.  Like paratroopers..try this).  Another good idea would be to show page by page (or platoon by platoon & doctrines) a sample starting Armor Company so that new users can look at what an example looks like and start from there.  I would also stress that people start with an Allies company as they seem (to me) to be the easiest to start playing with.

So far the community has been in general very pleasant though seemingly more concerned with their stats/winning then playing.  I often will have very helpful and pleasant conversations with folks over ventrillo but, I will often see people refusing to play any sort of map other then Meeting Engagement.  In addition, more veteran players don't like having newer players on their side.  Who wants to risk losing their veteran units to help a newbie?  I would hope their something that can be done to entice people to play with new players.  Perhaps giving people a toggle button during the battle start where they mark themselves as 'training' in that their units don't get killed in their company if lost in the battle and neither do they gain experience.

I do rather enjoy the doctrine selections and the gained abilities.  I feel that this is an inspired idea to give each faction/doctrine bonuses/abilities that suit their particular style.  I would love to see this thinking expanded or pushed more if possible.  I would actually advocate that if people decide to go more down one doctrine particular path that it both provides gains and !!costs!! to the player's company.  For example, if you are an armor player you would get very nice armor bonuses and abilities but your infantry and support weapons should start to suffer for it (more expensive or even dmg. penalties).  This would hamper people that play 1 vs 1 but, it would mean that people playing n+1 vs n+1 matches would be forced to integrate their forces to cover their own weaknesses and provide their side their specific abilities.

Finally, the shoutcasts that I have found are very useful for me a new player.  I personally have wasted a lot of time at work watching the replays and I enjoy watching them quite a bit.  This for example, is a very nicely done shoutcast: http://www.gamerstube.com/videos/europe-in-ruins-shoutcast-10-20983
Blitzen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:13:13 am »

I will lose with you on me team all day!  Games>winning

**edit   Also, the reason most people play meeting engagement is that now we only have one company.  Before we had 3, so you could have one made for attack or defend.  I agree it should go back to random, meaning you have to be prepared for every situation, leading to more balanced companies.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:19:43 am by Blitzen » Logged

Bullshit, only fags and girls dont like star wars Tongue
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:25:03 am »

I think you should play more vCoH. No reason to jump directly to EIR, you'll miss out on a great game.
its hard to know what faction will suit your play-style
Again, play vCoH to get the answers.
I would also stress that people start with an Allies company as they seem (to me) to be the easiest to start playing with.
This is the case in vCoH because you choose to play with either support or infantry. In EIR you have both, so it's not easier to play Allies.
gains and !!costs!! to the player's company
You mean like fallout? I don't think that would work.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:50:53 am »

Well i can see that you will have a good future on this forum arguing with wind about Diffrent things.

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 02:45:34 pm »

Im glad you enjoy the mod.

Oh and if you want a good Company build just hit me up with a PM stating your play style
oh and you cant say your playstyle is defensive, because every new person says that so i just give them a basic company build to go along with that lol.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:47:59 pm by Demon767 » Logged

Generalleutnant of The Reichs Wolves

Nevergetsputonlistguy767
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:04:18 pm »

VanOwen, your post was beautiful. Pure poetry.

Hit me up the next time you're in the launcher.

-Wind

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
Masacree Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:56:30 pm »

Everyone is someone. Even those who have been dehumynized.

I like how this forum in turn brings out the worst in anyone
To err is human, to eirr is retard
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:24:38 pm »

This is perfect, it's really good to hear what newer players think about the mod. Thanks heaps for your input! If you're playing AB or Terror, hit me up with a PM and we'll discuss a company build that could work for you Smiley
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:38:07 pm »

Thanks VanOwen,

A very well thought out post, and highlights some areas that we'll look at in the future Wink

I hope you enjoy your stay!

EIRRMod

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc