Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:38:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 25, 2024, 04:28:22 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D_Day  (Read 19859 times)
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 09:57:56 pm »

I've played the map a few times and here are my thoughts. These are just one man's opinions:

1. A large portion of the right side of the map consistently seems to be completely ignored.

It's too isolated to send infantry without AT as they would be mopped up by a LV long before help arrived, not worthwhile enough to send an atg to defend (since if people needed that ATG in the centre it would take forever to get it back there) and altogether not trafficked often enough to make any kind of large presence necessary or wise.

I've made a quick image to show how all my games on the map have unfolded. The red lined area is places that were almost completely avoided while the blue circles show where fighting occured. The bigger the circle, the more action that took place there.

As a result the map becomes really narrow and what seems like a third of it goes unused. The beach/trench is a nice aesthetic and it looks great, but if sheer playcount is the aim then it is going to harm the map in the longrun. I don't personally see anything wrong with sacrificing mass appeal for aesthetic realism but if it isn't desirable there are probably ways to adjust it. Perhaps removing or significantly increasing the accessibility of the beach/trench would be a start.

2. The main town is problematic

There is a distinct lack of cover in the main town that makes it very unforgiving. One advantage of the main town is neuville is plenty of cover for infantry and support weapons (gravestones, fences, low walls etc.). The town in Dday could really use these things to make it easier to keep support weapons and infantry alive as right now the circluar court yard is like one giant red cover plain with a small yellow cover fountain.

3. The map tilt

The default tilt strikes me as kind of awkward, though this is probably just my personal preference.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:32:13 pm by TheWindCriesMary » Logged

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
Masacree Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 11:10:09 pm »

Wow, really original tank, bravo.

I like how this forum in turn brings out the worst in anyone
To err is human, to eirr is retard
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 03:46:42 am »

Thanks Wind, this really helps.

I totally agree with you in regards to the city area being to barren. I was heavily criticized by certain people for adding stuff to the maps. In fact, my first joking around version (the complete nueville stamp) I was criticized for some park benches....... Nueville was used as an example, but it was a 100% stamp of neuville...... Anyway, I followed that criticism and it failed.

That is an easy quick fix.

We have established as well, that there needs to be more entrances into the trenches. It was brought up in the first game. Again, quick easy fix.

The beach area becoming useless: This comes as no surprise as that was the intent of the design. Using Neuville as a template, the width from the very left of the map to the top of the cliffs is the exact same playable area as Nueville. I did this intentionally so that the beach area did not become a cluster fuck game breaking issue.
The beach area is only there to create the 'theme' of the map. It is not intended as a big part of the game. It is also why it is sectored to not be a big part of the game.

The beach is an additional area to flank a sneek attack, but at a risk. It is also easy to block the beach and render it useless. (tank traps, wire, mines)

The way you have marked up the map is exactly the way I see this map being played. The only exception is I am surprised the large battle area is so close to the north spawn area. I assume these battles must have been attack/defend mode?

I am finding it frustrating trying to test maps because of attack/defend modes. It is creating a skewed vision of the map for the people attacking for the most part. Being unfamiliar with the map and it's layout, it can be hard attacking because you are not sure where to go.

When playing nueville, you know exactly where the defenders will be and exactly where to go to avoid or attack them. I think that's why it is so important to get a lot of plays on a map to get a real true sense of the map and it's negatives or positives.

The map tilt.... I have never really paid much attention to that as I normally rotate the maps to what I like during battle. However, is there a way to change this camera default? What angle do you think would work better.

Thanks for taking the time to actually play the map before giving your input......

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:16 am »

I have played the map. I hope I am now allowed to share my opinion and that it may even be appreciated.

The trench system on the right really negates any vehicle movement over there. Even Paks have to walk all the way around to get to certain spots. An 88 is also quite useless there because the 88 shots kept hitting the trench parts, it acts mostly as a shot blocker.

The beach gap was easily TTd and mined. Everything on the beach was quite easily spotted from the trench area and shot at from above.

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 10:57:07 am »

I have played the map. I hope I am now allowed to share my opinion and that it may even be appreciated.
All input from people who actually play the map is appreciated. A little less self pity is appreciated even more.

The trench system on the right really negates any vehicle movement over there. Even Paks have to walk all the way around to get to certain spots. An 88 is also quite useless there because the 88 shots kept hitting the trench parts, it acts mostly as a shot blocker.
I have already reworked the map to eliminate a little piece of trench to allow vehicles etc to pass through. It just needs to be updated in the launcher.
Very glad to hear it blocks the 88. If it didn't the entire right side of the map would become useless with one 88. That would be very bad game play.

The beach gap was easily TTd and mined. Everything on the beach was quite easily spotted from the trench area and shot at from above.
Excellent. Good to see someone using good game play to block a flank. An 80MP 1 pop unit can easily negate the mines.

The Cliff face next to the Trenches glitches out after a while (tearing).
That's really odd. Is anyone else having this issue?

Airborne that land on the cliff get stuck there as half the guys are on the cliff, half aren't, and one guy is stuck inside a rock. It's also annoying if they land in the water as there is only one entrance to the beach from the water.

Getting stuck on the cliff is a big issue...... I wonder how the hell I fix that?
Not sure what to suggest with the AB. I know with drift they can go out of whack, but is drift the issue; are you trying to drop AB on the beach? I assume the same thing would happen to any map with water.
I will look into adding another ramp on the beach

I keep finding that the left side of the map gets hardly any fighting.
That's interesting.... I have found the complete opposite. Fighting is mostly around the city and left. If what you say is true, then that means the left should be used for flanking more.

25's Work really well when placed on the beach.
Good to hear you are putting the beach to some use I guess....?

skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 11:06:48 am »

A little less self pity is appreciated even more.

Haha. Keep up the grudge.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 11:08:49 am »

Haha. Keep up the grudge.

No grudge at all. Are you having some kind of issue?
LiquiDeath Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 11:52:25 am »

I was in that game too.

It may have been a bit skewed and seemed stagnant as shabtajus trolled shit out of it with PE schrek clowncars Smiley

OTOH first time I saw some beach gameplay finally. What I think would be cool to add  to the beach - some sort of sidewalk only 1 infantry squad line spread/width passage type(tank trap cant fit), to allow skirmishes/ambushes in the mid connecting to trenches area.
It would allow for more variable gamplay tactics or nullifying lockout of beach during attack/def mode.

It needs more playtests and folowing more 'general gameplay comments' to have then really good opening warcampaign map! Smiley

I like the map.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:02:51 pm by LiquiDeath » Logged

Panzershreck, time to unpimp zis ride!
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 12:31:40 pm »

Anyway, advice for stopping Airborne getting stuck would be to remove the rocks on the mountain.

What would you suggest be put in place of the rocks? I am think it would look kinda silly to just see the world fall off........lol.

Maybe there are some kind of unseen blockers I can put in on top of the rocks. I have no idea if there is that kind of option. I will do some checking.
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 01:07:58 pm »

wut i dont like about this map is u can go straight in big bushes and drive trough them so as atg can shooot on autotarget trough them plus the right side centre where is beach is a bad imo cuz 2 mines can lock down 20 proc of the map tbh

but map is fun afterall

I feel like if Smokaz and Shab met up it would be a 50/50 tossup to see which one of them robbed the other first.
Tries to convince people he's a good guy,says things like this. Scumbag Shab.
Valexandes Offline
Donator

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 05:59:03 pm »

I have played the map a number of times and I've only ever been on the trench side and really enjoy playing there.
The beach is very easy to block off but doesn't seem a big problem as the map is still plenty wide without it and just having the beach there looks cool and occasionally inf halftracks or a greyhound can make a nice flank through the beach.

I haven't played in the town much and don't know what needs work there but with a little fiddling just to minimize frustrations with trench movements and making the beach area into two or three sectors separate from the rest would be nice.

the nashorn is like a kid with a giant penis, it has no idea how to use it or where to point it most of the time but it could still fuck you

Your mom, and your grandma wont know....
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 11:46:43 am »

Small update to D-Day

- Removed building that was inside another building....... how the fuck?
- Changed sectors: Beach is now 4 sectors and does not come up onto main land
- Beach accessed from 3rd sector so it is not "at your spawn"
- impass areas painted so units will not get stuck in cliffs
- impass area painted on beach so you can no longer stick a guy in the very back corner to cap
- Trench area open on both ends to allow passage of vehicles - including Heavy tanks

These changes have NOT been added to the launcher version yet.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 01:01:39 pm »

Overlay does not show well when zoomed out.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 03:50:29 pm »

Nope
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 06:48:20 pm »

Are you also going to add extra entrances to the water so that Airborne have a better time?

Add wire so they can't escape.

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:51 pm »

get rid of beach, or make the whole thing flat, the beach area is a lone single units haven.

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 11:00:22 pm »

sigh.......

It won't be with the new update.

Small update to D-Day

- Removed building that was inside another building....... how the fuck?
- Changed sectors: Beach is now 4 sectors and does not come up onto main land
- Beach accessed from 3rd sector so it is not "at your spawn"
- impass areas painted so units will not get stuck in cliffs
- impass area painted on beach so you can no longer stick a guy in the very back corner to cap
- Trench area open on both ends to allow passage of vehicles - including Heavy tanks

These changes have NOT been added to the launcher version yet.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:02:01 pm by tank130 » Logged
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 11:39:11 pm »

Alright.... I have been beaten into submission.

- Additional access to beach area.
- Vehicles can enter beach if they want, but don't expect it to play like an open field. It is a guarded beach head after all.....lol

I2ay Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 12:17:29 am »

Thats still too far...I'm saying limit it to the brown patch where the roads at. Any further and you still have plenty of room for shenanigans.

GORKHALI Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2014, 11:18:33 am »

Heres wat i have done until now, i didn't do much coz i was busy working ..
I haven't done the beach part so i got nothing to show at the moment on the other side

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc