Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:38:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Yesterday at 04:28:22 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6p Town Outskirts  (Read 12449 times)
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 12:12:41 pm »

After play testing as a 3v3 I decided that this map should be a 3v3. I will make a 2v2 version if people would like to play it as a 2v2. The 2v2 will have the entire forest side removed and feature only the middle field and the church area and surrounding fields.

In a 3v3 the fighting was very intense, all fronts were pushing back and forth. Offmaps were flying off the handle for every single tactical advantage possible.

A potential problem with the map maybe the huge advantage vehicles and perhaps light vehicles may have specifically in moving around. I would consider adding more hedges to narrow openings and restrict movement in more places so that anti tank guns will not be so vulnerable... or provide a few more buildings for garrisoned infantry to defend from vehicles.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 04:09:12 pm »

After you left we played the map 2 more times, on 3v3 version. Here are the replays if you want to see how the games went.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04611798689231510830

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 01:50:26 pm »

My thoughts on this map are that it's a really nice map, I have however encountered some pretty frustrating problems on it.

1: The bottom spawn is a town with lots of buildings and narrow passageways and even hedges, this makes it very difficult to move around, vehicles get stuck easily in the buildings and it's very easy for the enemy team to do hit and run actions in your spawn (a few Airborne or Tetrarchs can go berserk and destroy repairing units and it's a pain to try to hunt them around a town).

I suggest that you that you take some input from the design of Carentan which is very similar to your map. As you can see it's very clear where the roads lead to and there is space between buildings to allow units to move through and there is space in the middle where you can form up your forces before you proceed to attack and sandbags to allow inner city fighting. If you want you could even consider just stamping part of Carentan.

2: Moving over the empty riverbed is difficult with vehicles as they always prefer to travel over roads. I would suggest adding one or two roads and maybe reducing elevation differences on those passages.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »

Current Rework

I wanted the fighting to shift a little bit more to the town area and less on the middle field. So I've decided to move the town into the field and the field further away and eliminate one open field.

This had the effect of making the town look like Neuville and will potentially play like Neuville. I'm looking at partly the sectoring to prevent that from happening (capping that can easily go around a hard defence) and re-looking at how I will draw up the town. This will take me 1-2 weeks to get the next version out in a good playable format.

EDIT: Part of the reason why the game plays so fast on it is because there is no "defensible" location apart from the spawn and good players tend to overwhelm poor players who move their units around unsupported even faster without fallback positions and restrictions on movement.

I will also look into your suggestion pony and open up the town.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:40:00 pm by GelezinisVilkas » Logged
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »

Don't open the towns to much thou, a town should be a town and not some sparse buildings 30 meters apart with clear lines of fire Wink

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 04:49:22 pm »

I think a large issue is that the map is diagonal, one team spawns in the town.

I feel you could remedy a lot of problems by making it rectangular, making the town take up a third or so of the map on one side, but do not open it up, make it kind of tight and a little clustered.

That way it's still 'Town Outskirts' but it shifts gameplay between both the town and open areas and doesn't make it like Neuville.

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
"Seeing Bigdick in his full sado mask attire, David couldn't help but feel a tingle in his special place.."
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 05:13:16 pm »

Put some replays on so I can observe your games and see what needs to be changed. So far the changes I'm making are part based on feedback given and part based on skaffa's replay and my own play testing. I'm trying to accommodate the map to many play styles while still giving priority to a mobile style of play rather than static.

The main reason why I opted for diamond shape is to reduce the amount of sitting around that rectangular maps cause. By having a wider front, it is not possible to cover everything at once and makes all locations for flanking more equidistant than a regular map if start positions etc. were positioned correctly.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 06:12:54 pm »

Really great idea focusing more on town combat vs just open fields. That was my #1 component of not enjoying the previous version.

Looking forward to trying the new version now

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 06:39:14 pm »

Can you move the left town to the middle of the map pls? It would be way cooler.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 08:12:03 pm »

Can you move the left town to the middle of the map pls? It would be way cooler.
forest ?

Actually if forest shows us anything its that diamond shapes are the way to go, I dont think ive had a game on it yet that settled into trenchwarfare.

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 09:29:10 pm »

I have moved it closer to the middle of the map but it is not smacked in the middle yet. It also has higher territory weightage so fighting is very likely to occur over it with minor skirmishes on the side.

I've updated the map and awaiting for feedback to do final touches before release for next week.

Changes
- Small urban area moved closer to middle of map
- One small irrelevant field removed
- Slight territory rework
- Buildings on Town side moved slightly further apart and some buildings & objects removed for more space.
- Spawns moved a little for greater equality (in distance)
- Town roads are now working (previously they weren't)
- River bed raised (elevation difference decreased).

EDIT: I will implement further suggestions/feedback that is posted after this post on Sunday and release the 2nd version.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:56:52 am by GelezinisVilkas » Logged
jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 03:41:58 am »

So at first I hated this map, but now, I enjoy it.

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 03:22:24 pm »

Some more input:

1: the farm fields in the north are almost completely open, it makes flanking very difficult and support weapons too powerful.

2: the sector layout in the town on the east side is strange, one sector goes into the middle so you can hold it while standing in the middle far outside the town.

3: there shouldn't be five sectors in the bottom spawn.

4: wooden fences without openings.

sector layout should be something like this:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:09:04 am by PonySlaystation » Logged
GelezinisVilkas Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 01:00:02 am »

I'm thinking of making this map into rectangular version for future iterations rendering the playable area as 512 x 384. This next version if ideal will take a while to build because of substantial replanning etc. required. It will be a straight up conventional 3v3 face to face instead of diamond style.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc