Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:52:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 25, 2024, 04:28:22 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rant time  (Read 11610 times)
notenome Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: December 26, 2008, 03:48:20 pm »

Okay, I've been holding this in for a while... but here it comes

/rant

Hello boys and girls. Let me tell you about an unbalanced game. Its called COH. That's company of heroes. Its a great RTS, but it can be aggravating. But I don't want to talk about COH, I want to talk about Europe in Ruins (EIR). EIR follows the COH script, but with some major changes like persistence. Still, it sticks to the notion that German units are better in general to their Allied counterparts. The Allies make up for this with numbers... and with overpowered abilites.

See the Allies while doing research for atomic weapons unlocked the secret to magic. And they have a lot of it. If an Axis player wants to surpress and Allied unit, he has to set up his HMG or LMG with a good field of fire and hit them in the open. The Allies push a button. MAGIC! The German unit is supressed. However being surpressed sucks, and we dont want that to happen, do we? So to prevent greivous mental strain on allied players, they can charge into a Machine Gun and press another button. MAGIC! They are no longer surpressed. THen they run behind your cover and kill your MG. So the evil Germans use tanks, that cant be killed by infantry. But that hurts the Allied players feelings. So when a rifle squad meets a tank, it presses another button. MAGIC! They throw a sticky bomb 20 yards away through a house and the tank gets immobilized. What about ze evil germans? They havent discovered magic yet so their infantry get killed by the radioactive armor of any allied vehicle that touches them. Thank god their tanks dont try to run over our troops for fear of our magic stickes!

But the Germans are evil, so they sometimes place their units in bunkers and houses and behind walls and defend in depth. Thats when we use our offmap and artillery! Bombing runs, calliopes, strafing, howies, offmap arty. Or we can press the magic Fire UP button and throw satchel charges and grenades into the buildings. Done and done. And if they try to charge us with their superior tanks, we can use our magic stickies to immobolize them and our super tank reaper AT guns which cost half of what an axis tank does but kills them in two shots. Problem solved.

The Germans say we are inferior because all we do is blob our units, but why should we do differently? Its working and freedom is on the march thanks to Free Country USA!!! Why should we carefully place our units and build cover and move in a bounding-overwatch type manner or use combined arms if we can just blob our infantry or use our cheap crocodiles and tanks to circle strafe Axis units? And even if our magic fails, we have more units than they do and our squads are cheaper and larger. And thanks to our magic dodge bonuses, if heaven forbid our infantry get in a tough spot bc they charged into the middle of machine gun fire and got supressed and dont have fire up anymore we can retreat them from almost any situation and they will keep their veterancy, whilst veteran German units get mown down trying to escape.

So don't worry, the war will be over before christmas thanks to our magic, our blobs and a few other things (onboard, Recoiless Rifles etc). And the stupid Germans will just get more aggravated by their panzerschreks being fried by crocs as they try to set up whilst ABs drop behind tanks and murder them with RRs and hope that a future war is more balanced. Silly krauts.

This video about sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFjbGi0x3kg

WTF is this? Command and Conquer?

Edited for paragraphs, though I always believed rants should be one continuosly long train of thought release of anger.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 05:58:08 pm by notenome » Logged
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 03:54:50 pm »

I hear you notenome, and you'll be happy to know that the new races - PE and British actually help with that.  Heard of treadbreaker?  No more croc problems right off the bat.

Of course there are other issues added, but these will be tweaked.

You also have to remember, that EIRs balance state is currently SNAFU, as there is FAR too much man-packed weaponry such as BARs, Zooks and fausts.  Almost every unit is upgraded.

E

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 03:57:07 pm »

Good video Smiley

Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 04:05:13 pm »

2 things:

1.in 90% u will always sux in EiR, or u will leave it, because u give up like 5 year old kid, and cry instead of think what u did wrong, and improve.

2.This video is old like shit.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 04:06:53 pm by Draken » Logged
notenome Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 04:08:10 pm »

QFT

MOAR CALLIES! RANGER BLOB RAWR!
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 04:10:33 pm »

EIRR#mod does not take part in balancing afaik.

Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:26:14 pm »

AFAIK THTB trolls 90% of the time and makes allot of pointless bullshit posts that help no-one.

MasonDonn Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 04:35:16 pm »

AFAIK THTB trolls 90% of the time and makes allot of pointless bullshit posts that help no-one.

Quoted for Epic Truth

Quote from: Mikehalo
IM GONNA V1 YOUR VAGINA!
"Never fight with an Idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience."
A tank is an angry metal house that moves
Official Stupid Picture poster
Les Marais - Map WIP
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 04:41:28 pm »

Let me prove you wrong;
http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1952;sa=showPosts
BradAnderson12 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 04:48:05 pm »

Oh great now i can read thtb's retarded and pointless posts over and over.
Wildfire
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 04:49:59 pm »

Ha.

Anyway. The axis have overpowered abilities as well. You just have to learn to do what you do well man. I started off in this war with a 30-100 record on all my accounts. I sucked as allies, always got stomped, so to say that the allies are overpowered is wrong, its' just you haven't figured out what axis abilities work to your play style and you haven't perfect that yet. The general axis unit is better than the allied unit and most of the time can beat it one on one. There are many 3-4 allied abilities that will make a unit stronger but the axis have several and then there's blitz (which is fire up on EVERTHING) and intensity, and other abilities that really make units just crazy. Have you been an allied player and have your mg killed in one shot by a fucking nebel? Not a barrage, just one rocket. Or one mortar taking out a whole house by a support weapon terror player? getting suppressed by lmgs (which have no pop goes the weasel ability like bars but always suppress) or the magical homing scheck or the magical invisible pak, or you magical wtfrape stomies that can pop outta no where, or the wtf happened to my units scopes, ftfl and fld and other abilities that make axis infantry totally omg. Heat rounds which is omg my ostwind wtfpwned your m10. Or the magical tiger tank/panther/kt running over any and everything in its path. so please...learn how to really plaly b4 u start bitching about unbalance. 've said it so so so many fucking times, this is the first time since the mod was made that the allies have ever had the advantage in territories like this. Before EIR shutdown, the allied situation was so bad in territories, we had to add territories so the war wouldn't end in 2 weeks (we were down to like 50) so please...stop this bullshit. EIR is fun but has a big learning curve and we all go through it.
DerangedFerret Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 04:55:23 pm »

Wildfire is right, get a grip. Both sides have things we can bitch about day and night, but in the end, it makes no difference, and there will be NO changes until EIRR comes out. So your bitching is pointless, this crap has been known about for over eight months now.
notenome Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 05:33:20 pm »

Nice flame wildfire but you completely missed the point. The axis have stronger units. The allies have more units. They both have abilities. Saying that axis units are magic bc theyre stronger is completely missing the point, which I understand bc in your rush to type you couldnt be bothered to actually read, now could you? Im using the term magic to refer to the ability to instapop do something. Wanna supress something? Click. Wanna get unsuppresed? Click. Wanna immobolize a vehicle? Click.

Saying that an LMG suppresses everything therefore the BAR is underpowered is ridiculous. It takes time and lack of cover for a BAR to become suppressed by the LMG. Meanwhile the BAR can suppress the LMG with a click. So on a one on one the BAR simply suppresses the LMG with a click and the LMG is fucked. Thus magic suppression. Why not just get rid of that and simply increase the Bars ability to suppress? That way the allied player is forced to get his BAR into cover and set up a base of fire on the LMG, instead of just charge, click, rape. And before you say that Green cover negates that, it goes both ways. So neither the BAR or the LMG get suppressed, not to mention that sticking to green cover only is not an option thanks to crocs and allied offmap.

Cloaked axis units arent magic. If I could click a button and my cloaked storms immediately killed the MG that would be magic. But thank god thats not an ability, so I have to plan it, get close, kill it and get the fuck outta town. Theres no magic to panthers and tigers. They simply are good solid units, like the Pershing. There's a maxim of game design that if you give a player an easy way out, he will take it. Everyone complains about the AI in the Total War series and how easy it is to exploit, whilst they exploit it, bc thats the path of least resistance. Most allied players blob bc why shouldnt they? They can. Axis players that blob loose and loose badly most of the time. Axis doctrines buff units, they dont instapop suppress/unsuppress/dmg vehicles.

What Im advocating is for this magic bs to end and for Allied players to have similar disincentives that Axis have as well as having to actually play in a sound way. So a BAR will suppress a unit if its firing at it continously from a good distance. Stickies in particular, with their magic engine dmg, completely changes the game due to pathing exploits. No self respecting Axis player will rush a tank into infantry, but Ive seen gun destroyed M10s wipe out shreck squads by driving into them and taking advantage that infantry pathing sucks. Its an annoying exploit that the Allies use just about every game that the Axis dont have acess to. Id rather tanks not be able to run over infantry period, but thats not viable. A solution might be to give all infantry an assault ability on nearby tanks (3 meters or smaller), allowing them to dmg tanks that are within super close range, and couldnt be used while fired up/blitzed (to prevent exploits). That way tanks wouldnt get in close to infantry on both sides and the exploiting could end. This would not only be realistic but would reduce gimmicky BS early game rushes. Unfortunately its probably not viable to implement, bc nothing is lol. Oh and Nebels are for suppression not dmg. LTP NEWB MOAR CALLIES RANGER BLOB RAWR!!!

Oh and DerangedFerret. First QFT. I titled the thread rant time for a reason. I fully realized there will be no changes until EIRR comes out, and I hope it addresses some of these problems, and if its true that all T4 will be removed that will make me very happy as a lot of OP stuff comes from T4 BS on both sides. If you dont want to read me whinning about Allies being OP, then... dont read about it. Yes everyone gripes, but just bc everyone complains doesnt mean that everything is AOK and balanced. As aforementioned, COH was an unbalanced game, its unrealistic to expect that EIR would fix everything. But the goal should be to reward playing smartly and punish playing poorly.

I've always believed their were 3 types of succesful players in multiplayer games: The Micromanagers, the Tacticians and the Exploiters and right now one side is rather easy to exploit with gimmicky builds. There are several very good allied players such as Killer, Misten and Donnie that I've played with that didnt use gimmicky builds, didnt blob and didnt field tons of OPed weapons or Doctrine Builds and they are perfectly capable of sowing carnage on a regular basis. I want more players like that and less croc rushes/MOAR CALLIES/RANGER BLOB RAWR etc...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 05:51:07 pm by notenome » Logged
stumpster Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 05:35:08 pm »

Can you guys please use paragraphs?  It's hard enough to follow as is.

Step out of the way. He'll keep going until he hits a wall, that being Akranadas. Let him go unmolested, his journey will take less time.
BradAxis Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 05:50:06 pm »

i wish noobs would die, understand the game before you fill this forumn up with useless crap L2P then your oppinion matters, the only thing i have a problem with is the artillary used by allies everything else is easily counterable.
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 05:51:44 pm »

Okay, I've been holding this in for a while... but here it comes

/rant

ehhhh 5/10

I would bump it to 6/10 if it were a little easier to read.
notenome Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 05:55:33 pm »

*sigh* If a post is in the balance thread and is titled rant, you should be prepared to read about a balance thread rant. No one is forcing you to read this (or are they?) So quit flaming. If you're tired of these posts then... don't read them. And consider, briefly, that if there oh so many threads complaining about OP Allies, maybe there's some truth to it?

PS: Stumpster love those shoutcasts you should do another one can I have your AUTOGRAHP PLZ?
BradAnderson Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 05:56:29 pm »

How could there be truth behind several posts of noobs like yourself whining? eh yea thats right there is none.
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 05:57:20 pm »

Oh great now i can read thtb's retarded and pointless posts over and over.

You can read?
BradAnderson Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 06:00:07 pm »

Sometimes i wish i couldn't when i see you post.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc