Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:16:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Map Won't Show Up in EiR  (Read 4709 times)
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« on: March 21, 2011, 07:46:56 pm »

Hey guys,

I've finally finished my map after months of work, but no matter what I try it just won't show up in-game on the maps list.

I've used Corsix to pack the sga, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

-Wind

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:49:30 pm »

It's a sign, EIR doesn't love you anymore. Some might argue it never did

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 07:50:26 pm »

Some might say your mom never loved you.

Burn your face!

-Wind
shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:54:24 pm »

It's alright I get plenty of love from your mum  Cool
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:00:09 pm »

Gah wind, you goof.

It's not showing in game because you didnt make a map_slots / map_base.tga out of the mini map for the game preview. I went ahead and made you a quick one.

Couple of quick things, since we got the time before the next map update. It is very pretty, but some of the technical aspects are gonna make it agonizing to play and we might as well hammer these problems out now.

Your gonna have to take a look at the sectoring again. I know we all want to see "creative sectors" but your going to have to limit the numbers on this map and make them a more uniform shape/less funky. Right now, your spawn sectors are too small and players are going to walk straight out of them without capping them. You also have more "uncontestable" sectors on the northern half of the map than you do the southern which will makes the sides not only tedious to capture, due to their size, but also unbalanced.

I went ahead and annotated a screenshot.

You got this really small, odd sector kinda stuck in the middle of two bigger ones as well as a few others. This one is #6 on the above screeny. These small ones need to be incorporated into the larger sectors to even things out.

Also, you need to go back and fill in all the "dead spaces" you have all over the map. The dead spaces are black spaces within a sector that do not allow you to cap the sector. They're probably under buildings and forests and stuff, but some are not and it's good to just go paint them all.

The point of creative sectoring is to base the sectors around the strong points in the map or areas that you want fought over. (like the center city, that is mostly fine) Having a small odd sector on one team's 20 is just going to be a pain to capture and will hold no tactcial significance during the game, but might give one team a pop advantage later on.

One more thing, get rid of these dudes right here because their howitzer guns spawn as world objects that can be captured by a team and used in game, which is basically free artillery and we dont want that. Tongue

Here's your map back, just send it back to me when you fix these things.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20149543/6p_Rouen.7z

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:06:58 pm »

Hey Ground it turns out I accidentally sent you the wrong version of the map. Also I had already made a map_slots/map_base and the howitzer dudes are gone.

One sec I'll send over the file!

-Wind
Masacree Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:20:17 pm »

Have to add it to the module.

Sectoring is a real pain and takes a couple of tries to get a feel for it. Generally you want to have as many sectors as there are players near the spawns so as players advance they will just capture the sectors (no sectors in the corners). Towards the center of the map you want to increase the number of sectors to make advancing and gaining territory possible (the sectors should be small enough that a logical advance in territory (ie to the next line of buildings or w/e) will give you a sector). Also, its important to make the sectors follow logical breaks in the map (hedgerows, fences, roads ect.) else you have 1 man rifle squads sitting behind hedges all game holding territory.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:28:47 pm by Masacree » Logged

I like how this forum in turn brings out the worst in anyone
To err is human, to eirr is retard
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:11:52 pm »

Ok now I'm truly perplexed.

I've fixed the sectors and everything in Ground's post, but the map STILL wont show up in EiR. I've even unpacked it with Corsix to make sure it has the Base/slots tga's and it does.

Any ideas guys?

-Wind
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:04:03 pm »

Here is the latest packed SGA: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TIX2WM1R

For some reason I can open the old version that you sent back to me Ground, but not this new latest version.

If someone would please fix this into a working betamap1.sga that would be great.

Cheers,
-Wind
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 01:50:21 am »

the reason it is not working is because you didn't follow the tutorial right: http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php?topic=2934.0
there is no folder structure in your sga.

map_base and map_slots has nothing to do with the map not showing up. without them it should still work.

bugs:
- your weather file is called 6p_rouen.options.txt instead of 6p_rouen.options
- your weather aps files are called
        { 62009, "ROUEN.aps" },
   { 62018, "ROUNRAIN.aps" },
   { 62006, "ROUENNIGHT.aps" },
and i doubt these are standard vcoh ones. If you made custom aps files they must be added to europe in ruins. possibly you could add them to the sga if you pack everything in the right folder structure.
- in your .info file modname is called @RelicCOH instead of RelicCoH. no clue how you did that but also fix.
- map_base and map_slots images must be 768x768 px. add alpha channel to the sides of the picture.

sectoring could be done a bit better as well i think. it seems rather messy and i doubt the way you did the town will work.

also, I saw the overview picture in the other topic and I wonder, did you add any buildings to the map?
I don't think there is any need for so many buildings outside the city. bastion has almost none for example.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:16:41 am by LeoPhone » Logged
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 04:13:54 am »

What is with you and your hatred for buildings Leo?

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 04:15:59 am »

You dare to diss Leo ?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:19:57 am by nugnugx » Logged

TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:39:11 am »

Common your old reason was alot better than your new one.

was gonna make it a quote.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 04:46:37 am »

Ok I got the map working in COH (Weather too).

Leo was right: the file structure was incorrect. I was packing the SGA from Scenario rather than Maps/Scenario.

Anyways, the map is now ready for testing. Refer to the other thread.

-Wind
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc