Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:48:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XP/PP Grind  (Read 8400 times)
Rainbows Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: February 09, 2012, 08:00:26 am »

Is this actually contributing to the mod? I've played 40 matches of EiRR so far, all on one account, and I just now got enough PP for my final advantage... except I'm not really satisfied with how my company turned out and would like to change it up some, but that'll take another 200PP, which is another dozen and a half matches. Given that each game, counting time it takes to find a match, takes an hour or more, this is a bit much. I've invested perhaps 40-50 hours just to be able to try out a company, and now if I want to switch it up I have to play many more. And I will never even touch another faction or doctrine, because I have little interest for grinding up another account. I have other things to do than play EiRR all day every day, and if I just played an hour or two a day that's three weeks plus before getting a single completed company, that I still might not even like. Not having the freedom to try different things without a significant time investment is starting to kill the fun and I don't particularly want to play another 20 games with the company I'm unsatisfied with in order to be able to TRY another company style.

I just don't see the upside to the grind system for this mod, and will probably stop playing altogether shortly, because I am rapidly losing interest in my current company and it will take too large of a time investment to change it. I'm guessing it's just me since this system has apparently been in place for quite a while and nobody else seems to complain about it, but I am interested in hearing what other people think makes the grinding system worth having.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:05:18 am by Rainbows » Logged
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:07:52 am »

Unfortunately, the PP/XP system is effective for players that win consistently. And in the grand sceme of things you should have fun playing the game instead of focusing on how you can UBERSTAT your favorite unit(s). It is a drag, I agree. But some of the sillier T4s would allow newbies to l0000lrape better players (a-la CoHO) and might get in the way of learning some of the playstyles/finer points of EiR. Ergo, someone relying on very-easy-to-use moving cloak Fals would just use that build and nothing else. There's also a bit of fun in unlocking stuff, once you've unlocked everything, games get boring FAST (same thing happens in CoD and in BF3, both of which became far less fun when everything was unlocked).

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
Ahnungsloser Offline
Donator

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:12:48 am »

Unfortunately, the PP/XP system is effective for players that win consistently. And in the grand sceme of things you should have fun playing the game instead of focusing on how you can UBERSTAT your favorite unit(s). It is a drag, I agree. But some of the sillier T4s would allow newbies to l0000lrape better players (a-la CoHO) and might get in the way of learning some of the playstyles/finer points of EiR. Ergo, someone relying on very-easy-to-use moving cloak Fals would just use that build and nothing else. There's also a bit of fun in unlocking stuff, once you've unlocked everything, games get boring FAST (same thing happens in CoD and in BF3, both of which became far less fun when everything was unlocked).

+1.

9th Armoured Engineers
Rainbows Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 08:19:54 am »

The problem, for me, is that it's not just little optimizations, the doctrines have a GIGANTIC effect on your unit's capabilities. A Pershing with double T3s and double repairs is easily five times better than a regular old Pershing, and a Calliope with main gun and damage reduction and double repairs is easily five times better than a vanilla Calliope. And not just armour doctrine, for example Falls with doctrine buffs like moving cloak are easily five times better than those without. It's not fun using a company that's literally 1/5th as good as a maxed out company. For me, anyways.

As far as newbs go, if on an equal playing field a newb can be better than an experienced player just because of a doctrine there are some fucked up balanced issues that need looking into - which I haven't really felt is the case, so far.
smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:31:50 am »

for example Falls with doctrine buffs like moving cloak are easily five times better than those without.

so vanilla falls are shit  Tongue

noob even with lv9 coy cant take on experienced players who have lv5 coy.
Rainbows Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:56 am »

Falls are not the only thing that experience this, though. Vanilla EVERYTHING is shit. Because the doctrine-buffed versions of everything are heads and shoulders above.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:37:43 am by Rainbows » Logged
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:01:16 am »

Falls are not the only thing that experience this, though. Vanilla EVERYTHING is shit. Because the doctrine-buffed versions of everything are heads and shoulders above.

Vanilla grens are fucking awesome.

Falls are amazing without the moving cloak. Just learn to take cover, the system is like an mmo lite, and it takes next to no time to grind up a company. Why should you just have everything at the start?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:06:22 am by Spartan_Marine88 » Logged

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
Rainbows Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 09:06:04 am »

I may or may not have been exaggerating, as I have not actually used everything in the game nor looked at every single doctrine ability. But there are a LOT of things that become SIGNIFICANTLY better with doctrine abilities, and many of them start off kinda sucky without them.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 09:11:34 am »

the removal of grind is planned together with the warmap release.
but as always things take time in a f2p mod

giving everyone free lvl 9 infinite PP companies right from the start isn't the way to go though.
the last time we did that we lost over half of our playerbase
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 09:17:05 am »

the removal of grind is planned together with the warmap release.
but as always things take time in a f2p mod

This here is the problem, anything with any form of persistancy or levels requires a level of grind. Instead of wasting your time trying to go grindless, try to make levels more rewarding instead
Rainbows Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:49:52 am »

This isn't an MMO, or anything even remotely close to resembling one. There is not nearly enough content for a more fleshed out grinding system, and there's also no balancing factor. If you make the gap between lv1 and max level larger, those who are lv1 get destroyed because in a community this small there's no way to get balanced level games. In MMOs you're not exclusively PVP against endgame characters as soon as you start your character.

I'm glad to hear that some kind of change is in the works.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 09:56:50 am »

This isn't an MMO, or anything even remotely close to resembling one.

http://www.worldofbattles.com/

just one example to prove you wrong, i did not say MMORPG (which you are confusing it with) but the more standard generic MMO which this is, or wants to be. Massive, multi and online.
Rainbows Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 10:08:09 am »

The term MMO does not refer to the literal meaning of the words composing it. Company of Heroes is not an MMO. Starcraft is not an MMO. Call of Duty is not an MMO. Battlefield is not an MMO. All of them are massive, all of them are multiplayer, and all of them are online. How is this even an argument.
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 10:15:57 am »

Don't you love when new guys get all up in your face like they know everything

New Vermillion right here ^

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
"Seeing Bigdick in his full sado mask attire, David couldn't help but feel a tingle in his special place.."
Rainbows Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:18:07 am »

Me being new to the mod does not exclude me from knowing things unrelated to the mod (such as what an MMO is) or from having basic logic. Nice ad hominem, though.
Mister Schmidt Offline
Lawmaker

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 10:19:40 am »

It kinda does in this mod though

P.S. starting off like this only makes people annoyed at you, go look at vermillion for example
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 10:24:55 am »

Don't you love when new guys get all up in your face like they know everything

New Vermillion right here ^

Don't you love it when guys who don't even play the mod anymore get all up in your face like they know everything?
Rainbows Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 10:29:03 am »

I have no intentions of going out of my way to act in illogical ways to appease illogical people. If you think that I am somehow inferior and know less than you (about anything but the strategy of EiR itself) because you've been playing a certain game longer than I have, you are illogical and I don't give two shits about your opinion.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:30:56 am by Rainbows » Logged
MorkaandBorka Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 10:33:02 am »

+1 ^

Nice job Rainbows and good post. Taken into consideration.

I'm really bad  - Smokaz
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 10:35:35 am »

+1 ^

Nice job Rainbows and good post. Taken into consideration.

yea bring ur ideas u have and never listen to those persons who usually take down every new idea

Also, bad analogy ground, My vegetables never pissed on my ego when I decided they defeated me and gave up on dessert.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc