Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 09:33:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

by Bear
[October 02, 2024, 01:14:57 pm]

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]
Poll
Question: Should Vermillions English Teachers Be Fired?
Yes - 23 (71.9%)
No - 9 (28.1%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teachers  (Read 27300 times)
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: May 29, 2012, 07:41:56 am »

The ultimate finale.

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
panzerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:53:28 am »

you could make this into a tv show!
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:31:10 am »

Hahaha  Cheesy

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:39:04 am »

why blame his english teacher? i mean its not always the fault of the teacher tbh

Also, bad analogy ground, My vegetables never pissed on my ego when I decided they defeated me and gave up on dessert.
Nug Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:48:36 am »

inb4 vermilion rushing in this thread with guns blazing and owning all nay-sayers.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:56:44 am »

Nug, you'll be willing to back him up in that 2v2 he's yet to accept then?  Wink
Nug Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 08:58:16 am »

On dawn? sure
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:44:12 am »

It's hard to figure out who to blame.

I mean, any English (or rhetoric) teacher in the world even the least bit of knowledge would grade a paragraph like this with a D- at best. I taught English to ESL kids for a year and even they wouldn't have written this poorly (for rhetorical and grammatical purposes):

Once again, I'll point out that I have already been educated, and my educators, paid professionals for the most part, had determined my skills in English to be quite proficent. A sentence like that would have raised eyebrows only for its length, once again a stylistic error if unintentional. Once again, I am forced to weigh in on the issue: on one hand, I have my complete literary knowledge and education telling me the sentence is far from a crime against the English language. On the other hand, I have a collection of motley vagabonds whom I do not know telling me I am incorrect. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to discern which I am more inclined to believe. - Vermillion Hawk

Oh boy, where to start with this debauchery. I guess at the beggining.

Red Highlights: Red in this paragraph is what I've used to highlight one of the first signs of rhetorical weakness in someone's writing: ill-used repetition. Rhetorical repetition is actually a tool that can be used to drive home emphasis, but where inexperienced or poor writers/rhetoricians often fail is in choosing a phrase to repeat.

In this case, Vermillion carelessly picked the phrase "once again" to repeat at the start of most of his sentences despite the fact that he wasn't using it to reinforce the SAME action. The problem? The first use of "Once again" does not refer to the same action (reiterating his education) as his second "once again" (reitierating that a run on sentence is a stylistic error, which it only is if it is still grammatically sound). Then, as the final nail in the coffin his third "Once again" refers to a completely different action (being forced to attempt a rebuttal). The point of using a phrase like "Once again" as a rhetorical tool is to emphasize how the same action is necessitated by each successive point. What Vermillion should have done, if he wanted to use "once again", is set the initial action as having to repeat himself. Instead he set the initial action tied to "once again" as a specific thing (reiterating his education) and therefore all subsequent "once agains", in order to be rhetorically accurate, have to follow suit. You can't just use them like a drunk man with no understanding of where he has woken up and expect to make it fly.

In short, Vermillion knows that repetition can be a rhetorical tool but he hasn't figured out why or how to use it properly. He knew the melody but not the notes. It is a classic sign of someone who has taken maybe one or two classes in rhetoric, but knows essentially only enough to embarrass themself when actual students of the it are around... or just people with common sense.

Green Highlight:

This is an error Vermillion has been repeating for a few posts now, presumably after misreading the Wikipedia entry on run-on sentences.

He has equated these two facts, when they are in fact very different:

1. Your sentence is an example of a bad run-on sentence with basic punctuation errors that prevent it from being an example of a grammatically acceptable run-on sentence.
2. Your sentence is just a run-on sentence.

The key takeaway here is that not all run-on sentences are bad. In fact, as was explained in the other thread, a clever writer with a keen eye for punctuation can keep a sentence going almost infinitely.

The problem with Vermillion is that at some point he read that run-on sentences can be acceptable, and thus leapt to the horrifically misguided assumption that all run-on sentences are acceptable. This is a big problem, because it has for some reason given his strange mind license to horribly abuse commas under the pretence that the only fault he's committing with his abomination run-on's is a "stylistic one".

This is very far from the truth and it's enabled him to do a great deal of damage to the written word while under the pretence that he's upholding it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:37:01 am by TheWindCriesMary » Logged

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
8thRifleRegiment Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:14 am »

The plane is set in motion....
This is an error Vermillion has been repeating for a few posts now, presumably after misreading the Wikipedia entry on run-on sentences.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:28:37 am by 8thRifleRegiment » Logged

I will never forget the rage we enduced together

Ohh Good, AmPm can pay in Doubloons.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 11:03:17 am »

why blame his english teacher? i mean its not always the fault of the teacher tbh

You have shown me my error, Hans is right that some people just can not be taught.
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 11:26:06 am »

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
SixFingeredMan Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 11:36:59 am »

[/quo

te]
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 12:38:46 pm »

We've got this wrong...
Obviously the only one our perfect vermilion would accept is himself and thus he must be self taught... So sadly we are unable to fire him  Huh
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 01:11:37 pm »

news flash . vermilion is home schooled.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 01:12:15 pm »

What kinda of shady incomplete work is this? Wind color coded stuff both yellow, orange and violet without explaining what the error is. I want this burning at the stake to be in full. Wind, you suck.

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 02:05:46 pm »

It was turning in to too much work!

If he doesn't know some of the basic principles of writing English by now, there is probably no hope for him.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:55:35 pm by TheWindCriesMary » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 02:08:55 pm »

Didn't expect you to deliver a half-assed job, Wind.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 02:12:37 pm »

It was turning in to too much work!

wat

The sheer volume of text you spew out on a postly basis, and THAT is too much work?

I repeat.

wat

I mean I know Obama was the first one in EiR to get a card. and tbfh the Race card is pretty OP. but Romney has the K.K.K., those guys seem to camo anywhere. So OP units from both sides.
At the end of the day, however, stormtroopers finally got the anal invasion with a cactus they have richly deserved for years.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:42 pm »

the beggining

to embarrass themself (a dual error here)

with his abomination run-on's

pretence

pretence

(this one is the most amusing)

Your sentence is an example of a bad run-on sentence with basic punctuation errors that prevent it from being an example of a grammatically acceptable run-on sentence.

For a paragon of the English language such as yourself one would assume such elementary errors would be beneath you. "Beggining" and "pretence" would be acceptable were it not nigh upon physically impossible to commit a typo spelling "beginning" with only one set of repeating consonants, and since "pretense" is spelled incorrectly twice I'll hazard a guess that you know not of its true spelling (until now, you're welcome). I'll leave you to figure out the irony of the last statement there.

Additionally, after four posts of requisitioning information as to why I am grammatically incorrect, all I have received thus far are the aforementioned vague insinuations in the previous thread, and now this long-winded (pardon the pun) essay. Said essay happens to do nothing but outline a rule of convention, not a rule of syntax, whose breach would indeed be greivous were it true.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:37:41 pm by Vermillion_Hawk » Logged

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 02:39:23 pm »

http://grammarist.com/spelling/pretence-pretense/

You seem to be even more clueless than we could have imagined.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc