Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 05:27:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Poll
Question: Just in general, What's your fancy?
Beer
Wine
Whiskey/Vodka (Spirits)
Other
I'm Pure!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 31145 times)
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2012, 01:48:31 pm »

These were the top results when searching for "psychological studies physical child punishment". Next time search yourself.

http://www.slideshare.net/srjojofma/psychological-effects-of-corporal-punishment-manuscript3
Corporal Punishment carries a strong potential for escalation.

http://www.nospank.net/n-d66.htm
Research shows a variety of reasons why spanking is a couinterproductive form of discipline.
It inflicts psychological damage on children.
is a risk factor for alcohol abuse, depression, suicide, physical abuse of children and physical assault on wives.

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2002/06/spanking.aspx
Gershoff found "strong associations" between corporal punishment [...] negative such as with increased child aggression and antisocial behavior.

http://www.psychpage.com/family/disc.html
Corporal Punishment is associated with increased aggression, antisocial behaviors, adult abusive behavior, decreased mental health outcomes and decreased quality of the parent-child relationship.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/great-kids-great-parents/201008/spanking-and-other-physical-punishments-revisited
Physical punishment is a serious public health problem in the United States, and it profoundly affects the mental health of children and the society in which we live.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110726111109.htm

long-term detrimental effects on children's verbal intelligence and their executive-functioning ability.
lower self-control as children get older.

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/psych/news/department/news/?id=458
lead to increased aggression, antisocial behavior, physical injury and mental health problems for children.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19222684
adverse effects on the child especially on his or her relationship with others

http://www.americanhumane.org/children/stop-child-abuse/fact-sheets/child-discipline.html

Increases anxiety and fear
    Hinders the development of empathy and compassion for others
    Makes children angry in response
    Heightens aggression toward others
    Decreases compliance and increases resistance
    Harms relationship with parent or caregiver
    Potentially causes unintended and severe physical injury
    Decreases self-esteem
    Increases the probability for an array of undesirable social and psychological behaviors
    Teaches that violence is an acceptable way to handle conflict
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:57:09 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2012, 02:01:42 pm »

Study links physical punishment to later mental disorders
By Michelle Healy, USA TODAY

They reported that they had, sometimes or more often, been "pushed, grabbed, shoved, slapped or hit by your parents or any adult living in your house."

"Certainly, overly severe physical punishment is going to have adverse effects on children," says psychologist Robert Larzelere, of Oklahoma State University, Stillwater. "But for younger kids, if spanking is used in the most appropriate way and the child perceives it as being motivated by concern for their behavior and welfare, then I don't think it has a detrimental effect."

Look! I can cherry pick studies and entries too!!

If you want, we can keep going.

There is a massive difference between corporal punishment, and a spanking. Corporal punishment would be things like caning, beatings, using a belt, slapping, etc.

Lets keep going!!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110726111109.htm

The study -- by Prof. Victoria Talwar of McGill University, Prof. Stephanie M. Carlson of the University of Minnesota, and Prof. Kang Lee of the University of Toronto, involved 63 children in kindergarten or first grade at two West African private schools. Their families lived in the same urban neighborhood. The parents were largely civil servants, professionals and merchants.

In one school, discipline in the form of beating with a stick, slapping of the head, and pinching was administered publicly and routinely for offenses ranging from forgetting a pencil to being disruptive in class. In the other school, children were disciplined for similar offenses with the use of time-outs and verbal reprimands.

Seems a little bit more than a spanking.

Lets read on shall we?

"This study demonstrates that corporal punishment does not teach children how to behave or improve their learning," Prof. Talwar said. "In the short term, it may not have any negative effects; but if relied upon over time it does not support children's problem-solving skills, or their abilities to inhibit inappropriate behaviour or to learn."

So, if delivered properly, it has the same effect and no negatives.

The parents of children in both schools endorsed physical punishment equally, suggesting that the school environment can account for the differences found.

So the punishments, which were similar to in each group in the home environment did not change anything, suggesting that the public use of such punishment is the detrimental part.

There are many further questions that remain unanswered. "We are now examining whether being in a punitive environment day in and day out will have other negative impacts on children such as lying or other covert antisocial behaviors. Also, we are pursuing the long term consequences of experiencing corporal punishment. For example, what would children's cognitive and social development be 5 or 10 years down the road?," said Prof. Kang Lee.

AKA, the study basically showed nothing.

Lets move on shall we?

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/spanking.aspx

“Physical punishment doesn’t work to get kids to comply, so parents think they have to keep escalating it. That is why it is so dangerous,” she says.

Wait a minute....so the detrimental effect is the uncontrolled escalation by a parent? Hmmm...

“It’s a very controversial area even though the research is extremely telling and very clear and consistent about the negative effects on children,” says Sandra Graham-Bermann, PhD, a psychology professor and principal investigator for the Child Violence and Trauma Laboratory at the University of Michigan. “People get frustrated and hit their kids. Maybe they don’t see there are other options.”

Well that's stupid, you should never ever punish a child in anger or frustration. That is a lack of control on the parents part.

“The studies do not discriminate well between non-abusive and overly severe types of corporal punishment,” Larzelere says. “You get worse outcomes from corporal punishment than from alternative disciplinary techniques only when it is used more severely or as the primary discipline tactic.”

Interesting...

Anyway, if anyone wants to actually read, and not just post links with a highlight of the title, go ahead. They all agree that limited use of physical punishment is fine, and becomes an issue only when it continues to escalate or is used commonly due to the parent not using any alternatives.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:12:56 pm by AmPM » Logged

Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2012, 02:02:32 pm »

There's only about 2 reputable sources there, APA and Science Daily (although the latter is still somewhat questionable).

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2012, 02:07:16 pm »

Study links physical punishment to later mental disorders
By Michelle Healy, USA TODAY

Look! I can cherry pick studies and entries too!!

If you want, we can keep going.

There is a massive difference between corporal punishment, and a spanking. Corporal punishment would be things like caning, beatings, using a belt, slapping, etc.

Are you serious? Most of the article state that the extent of the punishment doesn't matter, it still shows the same effects. Also I didn't cherry pick. I picked up every result I found. I didn't want to spend hours because the list was so long.

There's only about 2 reputable sources there, APA and Science Daily (although the latter is still somewhat questionable).

Yeah, I'm sure 90% of studies done on the subject are wrong. This is not some radical studies, these are universally agreed on facts in psychology.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:10:00 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2012, 02:09:41 pm »

Not wrong, but horribly biased. If you look for something you will find it, one way or another.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2012, 02:11:04 pm »

I do wonder how many confounding variables got mixed in with all that "Research".

Most modern psychological research is a crock of shit these days tbh. They either get dumped with far too many confounding variables and cherry picking to be viable studies or fall victim to ethical/procedural chokeholds.

Oh, and just so that I KNOW you haven't even read those studies properly:

"The evidence presented in the meta-analysis does not justify a blanket injunction against mild to moderate disciplinary spanking," conclude Baumrind and her team. Baumrind et al. also conclude that "a high association between corporal punishment and physical abuse is not evidence that mild or moderate corporal punishment increases the risk of abuse."

That's from the APA study.

I mean I know Obama was the first one in EiR to get a card. and tbfh the Race card is pretty OP. but Romney has the K.K.K., those guys seem to camo anywhere. So OP units from both sides.
At the end of the day, however, stormtroopers finally got the anal invasion with a cactus they have richly deserved for years.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2012, 02:22:09 pm »

That's from the APA study.

It's not part of the study, it's a response to it.

Now show me the 10 studies where it says that lenient corporal punishment is better than more humane disciplinary methods.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:24:26 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2012, 02:25:45 pm »

Not wrong, but horribly biased. If you look for something you will find it, one way or another.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2012, 02:36:05 pm »

When you want people to believe your opinion you make a biased study about it using something that is hardly even a science.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2012, 02:44:57 pm »

It's not part of the study, it's a response to it.

Now show me the 10 studies where it says that lenient corporal punishment is better than more humane disciplinary methods.

So you want me to go do exactly what you did, and cherry pick 10 studies to support my opinion?

No thanks.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2012, 02:50:02 pm »

Are you serious? Most of the article state that the extent of the punishment doesn't matter, it still shows the same effects. Also I didn't cherry pick. I picked up every result I found. I didn't want to spend hours because the list was so long.

Yeah, I'm sure 90% of studies done on the subject are wrong. This is not some radical studies, these are universally agreed on facts in psychology.

Actually, if you read the articles you would see that the use of the punishment in a judicial manner is not an issue, nor does it cause problems with the child.

It is only when it is used excessively, usually due to anger or frustration (aka, beating your child) that it becomes an issue.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2012, 03:21:38 pm »

Actually, if you read the articles you would see that the use of the punishment in a judicial manner is not an issue, nor does it cause problems with the child.

It is only when it is used excessively, usually due to anger or frustration (aka, beating your child) that it becomes an issue.

People also forget how much worse psychological trauma can be

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2012, 04:34:04 pm »

Discredit the sources? that's the best you can do? yes ofc, modern psychology is just hoax.

So you want me to go do exactly what you did, and cherry pick 10 studies to support my opinion?

So stupid. I already said that I did not cherry pick, I simply used all the information I could find on the subject. Something that you would also have found if you had searched for information or if you had studied psychology at any educational level.

The difference is that harsh corporal punishment cause very serious physical and psychological problems where as lenient corporal punishment cause only minor physical and psychological problems. The result, ie a well behaved kid, can also be archived by using other disciplinary methods which takes longer time but does not have any of the defects.
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2012, 04:42:39 pm »

So stupid. I already said that I did not cherry pick, I simply used all the information I could find on the subject. Something that you would also have found if you had searched for information or if you had studied psychology at any educational level.

This right here, is why I point blank refuse to hold a discussion with you from this point, on frankly any level. I was hoping that your inability to hold a coherent argument without resorting to attack the other person was contained to just EiRR balance.

Apparently, you seem to be like that in other areas too. Disappointing tbh.

/Exit thread to find something better to do.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2012, 05:13:00 pm »

What argument? You are just being a nuisance. I don't mind explaining things, but are you are just being rude and mean about it. It's like you ask a person for help and then push him down a cliff.

First you can't be arsed to search for yourself so I bring you the information and then it's not good enough. Why did you ask for the information if you were just going to be reluctant about it? and then even though I explicitly explained how I found the articles you have to assume that there is some major fallacy with what I presented for no logical reason other than to be a jerk.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:20:14 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2012, 05:26:46 pm »

Pony, you're arguing from a point of false inference.

The difference is that harsh corporal punishment cause very serious physical and psychological problems where as lenient corporal punishment cause only minor physical and psychological problems.

Is basically saying that "loads of X causes loads of Y so THEREFORE small amounts of X cause small amounts of Y". Seems logical, until applied to anything where economies of scale are not constant. I.e - "Loads of caffeine will cause severe health problems and death. So small amounts of caffeine (say, 1 espresso) must therefore cause mild health problems".

Think about what people are telling you. Nobody is saying "beating kids up is the only way they'll learn". They're not even saying that you should use a belt, use a cane or slap the child. They're saying that if the child continues to misbehave you give them one or two slaps on the ass.
You know, the form of physical punishment that is hardly even painful due to the biology of the common human ass (go ask your girlfriend to slap your ass with an open palm with reasonable strength (I doubt anyone's proposing haymaker blasts to the rump here) and see what happens. I doubt you'll be moved to tears with the excruciating pain and debilitating mental trauma).

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2012, 05:31:32 pm »

^ right, it's not painful but it's a heck of a shock to a little kid.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »

Yes, you are right, I thought about that as well and I agree to some extent, I still think you can archive discipline with other methods but in essence I think it's ok for people to have different opinions as long as there is no serious harm. But it's sickening to see that some people are so thick-minded that they can read a professional study and then come up with a billion excuses, for why it's not educational. Twist and misinterpret, just so it fits your own truth.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:43:41 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2012, 05:48:55 pm »

That's the thing: a lot of "professional studies" are made with the results already in mind. People essentially get paid to fill in the blanks in those kinds. A lot of those sources you posted would come from traditionally biased organizations who have an agenda when formulating such a study that, say, the APA would not. I'm reminded of one of my favourite quotes from Catch-22: "The case against Clevinger was open and closed. All that was missing was something to charge him with."
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2012, 06:11:17 pm »

Yes, you are right, I thought about that as well and I agree to some extent, I still think you can archive discipline with other methods but in essence I think it's ok for people to have different opinions as long as there is no serious harm. But it's sickening to see that some people are so thick-minded that they can read a professional study and then come up with a billion excuses, for why it's not educational. Twist and misinterpret, just so it fits your own truth.

Alright, since you're so damned persistent, and seem to want to continue to attack me even though I left this debate, I'll give you one last reply before turning in to bed.

These "Professional studies" that you went and did a 10 minute google search for, are for the most part studies made with an agenda. Made with a purpose.

Here's the biggest and best example for why a good chunk of psychological research is done in the UK for example: University credits. People do pieces of psychological research purely to put progress to their degrees that they are working towards. In this light, successful research looks a whole lot better than unsuccessful research which has "Learned a lesson from it". People will take "Safe" socially accepted subjects and "Study" them and come up with "Obvious" answers that most people will "Supposedly" already know. My old Psych lecturer referred to these studies as NSS (No Shit Sherlock) studies. Now that's fair enough for progressing careers, I mean shit, they've gotta start somewhere. However, this means that the actual number of significant studies with solid methods and results are shockingly few.

So no. I'm really not fucking convinced by your 10 minute google search for the first page or two of results from personal/media/career driven individuals that have already decided the outcome of the research before they've finished planning it.

The only pieces of research that you'll find that quickly with significant results are usually OLD studies. Stuides which were applicable to the time in which they were conducted, and with the utterly huge society change we've had over the past 30-40 years, most of them are useful as base-line guidance at best.

I've actually opened up a book of BPS (British Psychological Studies) conducted for a specific year, can't quite remember which year the book was for, but I do remember that it took be 30-45 minutes of reading before I found something remotely useful.

You wanna accuse me of being thick-minded? Be my guest, but open your own damned eyes before accusing others of having theirs closed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc