Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 02:24:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D_Day Amended  (Read 16894 times)
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« on: January 06, 2013, 06:30:34 pm »

With the feedback provided by the community, I have made the following changes to D_Day.

Because all of us agree that Nueville is one of the best maps to follow as a template for design, I have overlayed Shaffa's map technique over it. You can find his design philosophy here.

As you can see, this map clearly follows his design guidelines.

Also note plenty of green cover for infantry in the city center.

As requested - additional entrances to trenches added, as well as entry points on both sides to allow for infantry flank through this area.

Lets not forget the flanks............
Left Flank: Credit given to Skaffa as this is a stamp of Nueville

Right Flank: Most of the tank traps removed. The only ones remaining are very far from the roadway and will only cause pathing issues if your are a complete fucking moron.

I can only hope the Armchair critics are willing to actually try the map before passing judgement.

Update to launcher will happen about an hour from this post

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:09:58 pm »

Skaffa's design philosophy - take Semois, rotate on an axis, remove water, be praised as a mapmaking genius.

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:34:36 pm »

Ohgodwhy.jpeg Tank might actually map a good map.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
Masacree Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:29:51 am »

zzz you can't use a checklist to "justify" that your map is a good map. Either it gets played or it doesn't.

people are refusing to try new maps because of rumors and armchair map analysis. Until the majority of the community stops that behavior,as map lead I need to find an alternative that does not require coding.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:34:52 am by Masacree » Logged

I like how this forum in turn brings out the worst in anyone
To err is human, to eirr is retard
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:03:38 am »

I laughed.

Tank trolled hard. Good job Tank.

On topic, map looks nice, I'll have to give it a try sometime

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:10:39 am »

zzz you can't use a checklist to "justify" that your map is a good map. Either it gets played or it doesn't.

Exactly the point we are trying to make. At last someone gets it.....

You can post all the map building guides and pretty pictures you want. Just because a map has all the lines and arrows of the supposed 'Holy Grail' of maps *cough*Neuville*cough does not mean it is another 'Holy Grail'.

The opposite is equally true. Your map does not need to be a stamp of Neuville, or have the exact makings and markings to be good.
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:53:40 am »

add loads of markers for extra gusta!

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
Ahnungsloser Offline
Donator

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:37:35 pm »

Am I right that the lovely designed beach at the bottom/top corner has no real use?
How would it be to open a direct way to the beach from spawn point 3 and 6 to create a new way?

9th Armoured Engineers
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 01:06:01 pm »

Am I right that the lovely designed beach at the bottom/top corner has no real use?
How would it be to open a direct way to the beach from spawn point 3 and 6 to create a new way?

The beach is an awesome asset as a flanking area. Like any flank on any map, it can be shut down with the use of wire/TT/ and mines.

The access to the beach, on both sides, is inside of the second sector from your spawn. The entrance is well behind the 'nomansland' or main battle area.

If you are pushed back past this point, you are well on your way to loosing the battle I think.

Or you are in attack mode from the Warmap. If that is the case, just like playing on Neuville, you will have to battle to open that flank. Your second sector from the spawn has houses, heavy cover, and light cover to mass your units to prepare for the attack on either flank.

You can also completely ignore the beach as a flank and use the trench area to flank. At a minimum, you can get infantry through there. I have not tried this yet, but the one trench opening may be large enough for a LV to get through...... that would be kinda cool.

Just like Neuville, if the flank is being protected, you will have to either not use it, or take out the protection. Mortars or flames and smoke are going to clear those trenches pretty fast.

If adding another access to the beach is truly going to better game play, I will add it. Right now I am not seeing any real justification to it. It would be like adding another road around the perimeter of Neuville, it would help - but not needed.
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 01:10:03 pm »

hans approves that map  Wink

Also, bad analogy ground, My vegetables never pissed on my ego when I decided they defeated me and gave up on dessert.
Ahnungsloser Offline
Donator

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 01:17:20 pm »

As a non map creater I suddenly noticed how much thoughts you can put into a map. It seem's that you put a lot of mind work into that map.
I looked at the pictures you have added here in the thread and I think it will be tight to add some extra ways to the beach. But as you said maybe it's not even necessary.

I have a 3v3 open. Hopefully I come into the taste of a new map. *lol*
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 01:58:07 pm »

what i suggest is work on the right flank abit. the bunkers and trenches makes it hard to flank there and the coast is too tight imo.

so what we do is, shifting the trenches abit to the city so a small way appears on right. we reduce the stonewalls on the coast and open the coast entry by shifting the entry of the coast toward the sea.

that way we open the right flank and it still looks awesome.

Heartmann Offline
Officer of Kindness

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 02:07:23 pm »

Id like to add one more thing, but first say thanks a lot, Id never be able to or have energy to put into making a map like this so lots of props to you!

I think it would benefit the map if at far end of each beach flank, you add a small ramp, so that you can flank far far at the spawn area?

In the basement getting drunk.
It's not really creepy until I show up.............

- I've heard of being an animal in bed but...

- The phallic principle of the Navy Wink
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:45 pm »

I think it would benefit the map  if we:

- add entrances to the beach right at the spawn.
- Widen beach really wide so it's like a big open field that you can drive 3 armies through.
- move trenches so we never have to worry about actually trying to fight anyone from them
- then, lets move that damn city over to the left as well, cuz I want to be able to just drive massive armies through there too.
- Oh shit, now that you moved the city over, there is no left flank. So let's delete all those house, they just fuck up my pathing anyways

There we go.... that's what we were talking about. We would never actually come right out and tell people we want maps that are just open fields with a few hay bales. This way we disguise it as just opening up that flank and that there beach a bit.......

LOL

But seriously..... the map has been played 1 time since the changes were made. How about we give a few more go's before we turn it into a football field.
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 03:00:10 pm »

I think it would benefit the map  if we:

- add entrances to the beach right at the spawn.
- Widen beach really wide so it's like a big open field that you can drive 3 armies through.
- move trenches so we never have to worry about actually trying to fight anyone from them
- then, lets move that damn city over to the left as well, cuz I want to be able to just drive massive armies through there too.
- Oh shit, now that you moved the city over, there is no left flank. So let's delete all those house, they just fuck up my pathing anyways

There we go.... that's what we were talking about. We would never actually come right out and tell people we want maps that are just open fields with a few hay bales. This way we disguise it as just opening up that flank and that there beach a bit.......

LOL

But seriously..... the map has been played 1 time since the changes were made. How about we give a few more go's before we turn it into a football field.

yupp ^^
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 03:39:19 pm »

I think it looks fine as is. Too fine. Tank, where did you steal this from D:

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 04:14:46 pm »

I wish there was more use to the top and bottom beach bits because the only use i can see for them is hiding 25's, radio triangulation thingies, and dropping airborne units. I like corners of maps to be useful even though fighting is not supposed to really take place there.

Could you possibly put extra entrances to it at the spawns?

it is useful =_=. u can move units to the beach =_=. dafuq=_=
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 04:25:32 pm »

there's no point in putting a unit in the top right or bottom right beach area. Only around the central beach area.

imagine u are a soldier and are able to go to the beautiful beach? IMAGINE THAT!
hans Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:17 pm »

D-Day... What fun it would be to be there...

hmm kay good argument  Embarrassed
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 05:40:16 pm »

there's no point in putting a unit in the top right or bottom right beach area. Only around the central beach area.

If my enemy has the cliff trench i can't flank them round the right, so extra entrances at spawn will allow you to flank from the right (like you would on an open field map).

TIG, if you were playing Nueville, and your enemy had the right flank locked down, what would you do?

You are right, there is no point putting units in the top right or bottom right. I intentionally sectored it so you could not place a unit in the little corner to cap someones spawn/sector.

Something you may want to consider - if you had access to the beach closer to your spawn, your enemy can flank you near your spawn..... Hmmmmm wonder what would happen if your arty piece is parked there, or maybe that high vet tank you got repairing there.....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc