Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 12:35:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superior Map Design  (Read 13171 times)
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« on: January 07, 2013, 07:35:57 pm »

I know this is going to sound a little bitter..... but I am a little pissed off and feel a little mislead.
This is not the first time this point has been brought up, but it is the first time it has been brought up to represent a superiority type thingy....

I received a PM today:
1- For the map feedback stuff you are doing now. We have some people in the dev team who know a lot about mapping and map design. unknown, Leo and skaffa specifically(altho skaffa is inactive atm) but the other dev members have a lot of experience with EIR itself too. If you contact any of them directly they might be more motivated to provide map feedback, while at the same time the feedback will be of higher quality, more streamlined thus more understandable and easier to work with across different maps and heck some dev members might be even bored and will get more motivated for EIR.
Disclaimer: mild editing to ensure the anonymity of the sender

I am very open to getting map feedback from any individual who has played on the map being discussed. What really irks me with this post is the suggestion that Skaffa is superior in his map design skills.

Lets take a look at a couple of screen shot here:

Here is a good old CoH, 2v2 map - Semois

Here is that same map with the water removed:

Here is the most played map in Eirr, designed by the implied master of map design - Skaffa

Of course, we all recognize that last image as Nueville. And we all know that every one stamps a bit of map here and there.
But no matter how you look at it, describe it, or analise it, that is an awesome map and just freaken awesome to play on.

But - how the hell could anyone claim Skaffa is superior in map design and that we should all ask his advice on how to map. What advice would I be asking for? I think I can get the same answers from Deadbolt to be fucking honest.

I am not criticizing skaffa and I am not criticizing the map. I just want people to stop suggesting Skaffa is the king of map knowledge and no map is worthy unless he designed it or gave it his blessing.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:53:28 pm »

He played us like a piano!

Nah but it's hard to create something entirely new at high quality which you can sell to the unwashed masses.

Everyone who actually played this map in vcoh knew neuville was a waterless semois, but its sometimes better to let people preach on their soap (like wind) than to pop their bubble.

We're suppose to be friends here, aiiiiiiight?

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:20:45 pm »

Very important to READ my thread completely before posting here.

I was very careful to make sure I made it clear I have nothing against Skaffa, or the map.

I am pissed at the other people who claim he is the best map designer and you should always ask him for advice when making a map.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:39:49 pm »

We should find the guy who made semois and hire him!
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:14:19 pm »

We should find the guy who made semois and hire him!
You sure about that? He thought all that water was such a good idea...  Grin

On a side note, did skaffa make any map from scratch that's currently in the rotation?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:17:35 pm by nikomas » Logged

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:23:08 pm »

On a side note, did skaffa make any map from scratch that's currently in the rotation?

Not sure. He made forest, not sure if that is a stamp or not
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:32:03 pm »

But - how the hell could anyone claim Skaffa is superior in map design

Because his maps has a good proportion between buildings, cover, open fields and roads and also space on the sides of the map to allow for flanking.

These are criteria older 3v3 maps distinctively lack. This doesn't make them unplayable but they tend to cater to specific companies or playstyles as well as slow down the flow of gameplay.

I take Bocage as an obvious example of a map that favors artillery. This doesn't make it unplayable, it's still a good map. But if the enemy has artillery, it will be more powerful and difficult to counter than on Neuville.

Older maps tend to be simplistic or realistic. Neuville is all about the gameplay.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 09:35:17 pm »

Because his maps has a good proportion between buildings, cover, open fields and roads and also space on the sides of the map to allow for flanking.

These are criteria older 3v3 maps distinctively lack. This doesn't make them unplayable but they tend to cater to specific companies or playstyles as well as slow down the flow of gameplay.

I take Bocage as an obvious example of a map that favors artillery. This doesn't make it unplayable, it's still a good map. But if the enemy has artillery, it will be more powerful and difficult to counter than on Neuville.

Older maps tend to be simplistic or realistic. Neuville is all about the gameplay.

Pony, you have just proven you do not read, or you do not comprehend what you read.....

Skaffa does not have a map. He just removed the water from Semois. Look at the pics dude......LOL
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:44:16 pm »

He still added significant areas to the map using this formula. Semois without the water would still be unplayable. So his input is still very much excellent.

He also made Forest from scratch, which is an even better map.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:45:51 pm by PonySlaystation » Logged
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 09:49:09 pm »

Uhhh, I've heard more than once that the base of forest is basically another certain popular map rotated 90 degrees, Heard that one several times to Wink
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:52:39 pm by nikomas » Logged
shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 10:07:09 pm »

Semois is a 1v1 map. Just sayin

nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 10:25:13 pm »

Semois is a 1v1 map. Just sayin
Your comment is completely irrelevant and most people already knew that, just sayin' (you dick)
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 10:55:09 pm »

He still added significant areas to the map using this formula. .................

Ummmmm, Pony, are you high?

One of these maps is Semois with the water turned off, the other map is Neuville. Could you point out one of the 'significant areas' you are referring to?
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:06:27 pm »

I'm talking about these areas of the map. Half of the map is essentially his own work.

tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:04:26 am »

I'm talking about these areas of the map. Half of the map is essentially his own work.

ROFLMAO..........
Masacree Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:07 am »

Tank, have you ever made a map from scratch?

I like how this forum in turn brings out the worst in anyone
To err is human, to eirr is retard
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:04 am »

Tank, have you ever scratched a map?.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 03:09:39 am »

Stop trolling

Tank is essentially right in his assessment that Skaffa isn't exactly the ultimate map guru like some people are making him out to be, though I honestly don't think making a thread about all this was really necessary Tongue. Stamping (large) parts of maps is an acceptable process for novice mappers that are either unable or unwilling to design a map from scratch, the mark of a true and quality mapper however is indeed that he can create multiple maps from scratch, all of equal high quality and all attaining equally high popularity. OMG's Spartan is a good example of this in my opinion and arguably one of the few mappers in the (former) EIR/OMG that can truly be called a leading example.

I honestly don't care that neuville is essentially semois, even a 5-year old could have successfully made a conversion the way skaffa did. What matters though is that he ended up doing it at least and gave the community another fun map to play. Deadbolt also just stamps entire maps, no one will claim he is a good mapper but none the less I greatly value some of his contributions. (And the simple fact that he is putting time in providing us with new maps) I don't know if skaffa truly made forest from scratch, if he did then kudos for that is indeed an excellent map as well. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a map expert either, someone who has only made three maps of which the 2 popular ones only one is really made by him can't really be considered a map expert just yet.

/thread
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:12:49 am by Unkn0wn » Logged
EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 07:51:39 am »

Your comment is completely irrelevant and most people already knew that, just sayin' (you dick)

He wasn't just randomly saying Semois is a 1v1 map rofl. He pointed out tanks mistake, dumbo, which makes it completely relevant.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:57:20 am by EliteGren » Logged

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 08:12:34 am »

He wasn't just randomly saying Semois is a 1v1 map rofl. He pointed out tanks mistake, dumbo, which makes it completely relevant.
Tanks mistake was completely irrelevant, most of us know it's a 1v1 map, but it doesn't really matter for this discussion so why bring it up? Clearly, only to be a dick about it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc