Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:27:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Today at 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strafing run and initial call iin  (Read 5936 times)
thaelmann Offline
Donator

« on: April 30, 2009, 04:53:57 am »

This might all be a little premature, but I was wondering what will happen once the doctrine off-maps are implemented, especially strafing and bombing runs.

We all know that both are rather good against players who tend to blob (I haven't seen many axis blobs lately, though). Anyway, there is one point in the game when you hardly have another option than blobbing. And that is when you bring your initial call in onto the field. Wouldn't it be easy to abuse the strafe by waiting until the spawn buff has worn off (you will know when this happens because your own buff will be gone as well), then call a recon run followed by a strafe and istarape/suppress most of the enemy's initial call in?

You could always say that the axis will have to split up their troops asap, but forcing them to take a detour will put them on a huge disadvantage concerning the taking of stategically important positions on the map.

One way to avoid this might be to have the strafing and bombing run start on cooldown, so that you won't be able to use them until some minutes into the came (2 should be enough).

Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:58:33 am »

This game existed for a long time, and honestly i don't see a problem with that. Axis players know that where a recon run is, there will be a strafing run aswell.

Also i can't really remember but i think people agreed that strafing runs on call ins are rather bad sportsmanship. I recall that we already had a discussion a long time ago, and i believe we agreed that this shouldn't happen.
In the end it's up to the players.

Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 07:07:57 am »

frankly, not a problem, as you have all the time in the world to spread out until the spawnbuff wears out. You might actualy get out of the recon's LOS until a plane would get there - guessing where the enemy is without his spawnbuff is pretty much a gamble - if you stayed in your spawn long enough for the buff to wear off - ur own fault.

thaelmann Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:13:06 am »

I don't agree. Firstly it is quite simple to spot enemy units even through the fog of war, and secondly you still might want to reach a certain point on the map as quickly as possible, e.g. a building to but your hmg in, a chokepoint you'd like to control etc. So spreading out your units will at least cost you some valuable time. Plus it makes You far more vulnerable to early jeep raids. So the point is not that it is impossible to guard against the early strafe but rather that you'll be disadvantaged if you do so.
VariantThirteen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 08:38:31 am »

Actually, on some maps you can't spread before the spawn buff wears out. I can't remember the name of it, but I have distinct memories of double cally starts raping my troops the moment their spawn buff ran out as they ran up the fenced in road out of the spawn.

Tbh the much bigger problem was vetted Raid Assault Airborne dropping in behind you then raping you no matter what your call in was, and no matter what cover you were in. Fuck I hated that.
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:00:01 am »

^ This.

We will have to wait and see how it turns out in EiR:R.
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:07:06 am »

Actually, on some maps you can't spread before the spawn buff wears out. I can't remember the name of it, but I have distinct memories of double cally starts raping my troops the moment their spawn buff ran out as they ran up the fenced in road out of the spawn.

Tbh the much bigger problem was vetted Raid Assault Airborne dropping in behind you then raping you no matter what your call in was, and no matter what cover you were in. Fuck I hated that.

HA, I remember the days when you couldn't even get out of your spawn because your enemy tank trapped and barbed wired you in XD
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:40:31 am »

................ back in topic, yes, make it start with a CD of like 1 minute or 2, you can just send 1 bombing run and 1 strafe when the game starts, he will loose a lot of MU and MP no matter how much he spreads.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:37:05 am »

May have been me on Road to Carentan.

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 11:44:03 am »

Crono and I used to do a Calli + Scouting jeep for him and me with Infantry and TR ATGs. Defending we would run the jeep up when the timer ended, hit them with a Calli to slow them down and drop off maps on the rest.

It was teh lame but worked well.

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 08:53:18 am »

May have been me on Road to Carentan.

Lies
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 11:24:54 am »

Vae Victis.
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 11:32:47 am »

God I'm so glad that the days of allied T4 arty is gone, bless the gods!

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
EscforrealityTLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 11:41:06 am »

I second that motion!

Pwanawan baby!
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 01:26:54 pm »

I miss the good old days of off-map artilery.
A 4 MG 3 pak 2 mortar line was not that scary when you could recon, then strafe and bomb it properly, rather than have to feed the campdown with blob after blob after tank rush.
chefarzt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 01:30:53 pm »

Yeah it was just glorious and full of fun when people could spam strafes just to kill a single sniper.  Roll Eyes

This community is full of a bunch of mindless idiots with memories like two year olds.

https://www.etsy.com/de/shop/ShitGlitter?ref=l2-shop-header-avatar
I'm not sure what you're so defensive about Tank.
 he makes shab look like a princess giving food to the poor.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 01:40:36 pm »

I dunno about you, but killing a unit that costs around 3-4 times as much as any other of it's class, and that can rack up 50-60 kills a game is pretty much top priority for me. And if they just spent 3 strafes(i'd constitute 3 as strafe spam) on a single sniper - sniper well spent : Imagine how many infantry men would have died to 3 strafes?
chefarzt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 01:56:38 pm »

Actually the guy had to use a bombing run after he failed 3 times. But why not take all units out and and give everyone like 5 sorts of offmaps to make the game even better?
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 02:09:43 pm »

Yeah it was just glorious and full of fun when people could spam strafes just to kill a single sniper.  Roll Eyes

OH THE GRIEFING THE GLORIOUS GRIEFING.

Eir customer support staff.
donnieDark Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 02:12:36 pm »

bah this is a funny one.   If your so paranoid about strafes/bombing runs...count to about 20 and then call out your company.   Nothing funnier than seeing a recon run fly over and it sees NOTHING.  Wasted recon run
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc