Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 10:30:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown  (Read 27124 times)
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2012, 07:22:58 pm »

Cruising through on Classic right now. Think my next will be Classic Ironman.

nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2012, 07:33:58 pm »

At the endgame... got option for final mission on classic ironman... Fuck man, Classic ironman, and I only have 8 casualties (something like that)... Holding off a bit to make sure it doesn't go higher on that final mission, heh.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 07:45:11 pm »

on the scale 1 to 10 how good is it and should i buy it?

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 08:11:51 pm »

So I'm assuming that this game is both a good modern successor to the first and a decently challenging strategy/tactics game?

yes

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »

on the scale 1 to 10 how good is it and should i buy it?
10, but I'm biased toward turn based tacticals... As for the second question? BUY THE FUCKER NAO
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2012, 08:34:48 pm »

9.5 because a graphical bug just cost me a soldier lol.
Scotzmen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2012, 09:10:54 pm »

The game has pretty much taken over my free time it's that great.

I got a guy from Scotland on my first intake of new recruits. Feeling pretty happy at this point, +1 to firaxis for putting the Scots in. Went on first mission, racked up a few kills miraculously. Turns into an assault class, even better! Went on second mission, racks up a grand total of 6 kills with a shotgun. Misses one shot at close range. Gets shot in the face and goes down, needs a revive. I lost another 2 members just trying to revive him.

Motherfucking Mutons. He also got smashed in the face by a berserker and somehow lived. He's in and out of A&E like a yoyo. Makes me proud tough.

I'm up to the point were I'm trying to make enough money for plasma weapons, I somehow lost china at the very start of the game.

It is THE best game i have ever played to date, and shall be played for some while right now. I'm already looking forward to my second play through tbh

A few good things i picked up on.

Sniper with squad sight ability is amazing! It has saved my bacon on more than several occasions. Just let your sniper hug cover on a nicely elevated hill or building, send squaddies forward, watch as your sniper just takes 'em all out at long range. 

Assault class with run and gun and rapid fire is a god send for the Sectoid Commanders. Close and 2 shotgun blasts to the face later, no fear here!

Overwatch is your best friend, If you can, always apply it, Especially in the cramped corridors and rooms of the UFOS and Buildings. I learnt this after getting absolutely raped because i got flanked so easily. With over watch, you have a chance to shoot and kill before getting raped.

You have to take the game really nice and slow, to fast and you'll get plasma to the face. Clearing every rooms and over watch is a must. Always have your men covering your men.

There was a nice terror mission i did, with pure chrysalids and they pretty much got to all the civis first. All in all, i was surrounded firing pistols at zombies. I retreated shamefully as i'd already lost my shiv and 4 men.

If anyone is contemplating whether to buy this game, buy it. Even if it ain't your style, once you get into it, it's really amazing.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2012, 09:14:54 pm »

I just have two questions.

1) Is interception still primarily a hands-off component of the game, or is it at least slightly interactive?

2) Do they have a greater variety of aliens than in the original? The only new additions I've seen thus far seem to be the Thin Men, and I don't really see what they add to the roster.

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
Scotzmen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2012, 09:37:18 pm »

I just have two questions.

1) Is interception still primarily a hands-off component of the game, or is it at least slightly interactive?

2) Do they have a greater variety of aliens than in the original? The only new additions I've seen thus far seem to be the Thin Men, and I don't really see what they add to the roster.

1. It's slightly interactive, you can upgrade your interceptors with various items, and when the dogfights actually happen, you have buttons to press activating various abilities. There are only a few, and you have to of upgraded them as well.

2. I've never played the first one, as i can't get it to work. Thin men are agile, and can flank you like crazy, They can pop up anywhere and everywhere. If your fighting mutons head on and you've got a pretty good position set up and trading fire. Thin men can just throw all that out of the window and they shoot you in the arse.
Only fought these so far:

Sectoids
Thin men
Cyber disk
Drones
Mutons
Berserkers
Drones
Sectoid Commanders
Outsiders
Chrysalids
Zombies
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2012, 10:27:23 pm »

Alright so it seems like a few new additions to the standard roster, so that's good. Not like the aliens in the original weren't good enough as it is, Chryssalids will still probably provide me nightmares of both the tactical and mental variety.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:50:00 pm by Vermillion_Hawk » Logged
Heartmann Offline
Officer of Kindness

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2012, 01:59:59 am »

you forgot the ethereal!

In the basement getting drunk.
It's not really creepy until I show up.............

- I've heard of being an animal in bed but...

- The phallic principle of the Navy Wink
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2012, 05:42:05 am »

you forgot the ethereal!

Only fought these so far:

He obviously has not encountered an Ethereal yet lol. Part of the charm is bumping into new Alien types and being left to adapt to them on the fly whilst learning what they can do.

I have not yet fought an Ethereal either, my Classic Ironman save file is basically all but screwed. No veterans left, 59 brave men and women dead so far and every country is sat in orange panic minimum. Add in 7 members have currently withdrawn. That'll teach me not to get satellites up early.

I've had a fantastic run though, and I'm not in the least bit deterred from trying again. I look forward to learning from my mistakes both in and off the field.

I mean I know Obama was the first one in EiR to get a card. and tbfh the Race card is pretty OP. but Romney has the K.K.K., those guys seem to camo anywhere. So OP units from both sides.
At the end of the day, however, stormtroopers finally got the anal invasion with a cactus they have richly deserved for years.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2012, 08:57:22 am »

Kill the etherials on the frist turn you spot them... trust me...

Anyway, my classic ironman run is about to wrap up one way or another, these 6 brave colonels are now going to do the last mission, never seen it before so it will be a blind run... Wish me luck!

Not gonna lie, really fucking scared...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:00:33 am by nikomas » Logged
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2012, 10:30:01 am »

VICTORY!!!!

Sooo, anyone else beaten classic ironman yet? According to steam 0.1% of all players have done it Wink
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:35:05 am by nikomas » Logged
Heartmann Offline
Officer of Kindness

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2012, 10:43:45 am »

Lol Niko! U ahve same units setup as i do Tongue ill post it later Tongue show you, rather insane ^^
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2012, 11:06:13 am »

Sorry heartmann... you were once in my squad, then you took a heavy muton to the face, oh, everyone survived the final mission but the sniper hicks, ironic that, the sniper is the only one that died  Smiley
Sachaztan Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2012, 11:19:55 am »

I see that you got Teller there, what happened to Penn?

Demon posession is real and it's not funny, it's the creepiest thing you will ever experience.

I would also like to add I watch fox news everyday all day and will continue to watch it while being proud of that fact. I'm sure you enjoy your communist news network just as much.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2012, 11:31:57 am »

"Nucklehead"?
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2012, 05:34:34 pm »

Started my Classic Ironman playthrough....so many rookies...
Hicks58 Offline
Development

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2012, 05:43:51 pm »

I'm on my second attempt at Classic Ironman.

I finally have a Colonel! These guys kick some serious ass when you keep them alive. Got a Heavy with 2 Standard rockets, 1 Shredder rocket and extended AOE. Bagged 5 Mutons at once by deploying two rockets in two turns lol.

Also... Had a mission with 13 Chryssalids. Fuck me sideways that one was tense, never had to reload my weapons so many times. Learned that a Sniper with Gunslinger and a Laser Pistol is actually pretty goddamned dangerous.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc