Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 11:19:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BotB Mod > EIR  (Read 17699 times)
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 11:21:04 pm »

BoTB is gravely inbalanced, so it would NOT EVER work as good as EiR.
I mean, I'm not at all finding it fun to get uber raped by M36s, which cost 3 times less than a KT, but can 3 shot it, also having much more range, and quite good anti-infantry. Not to mention the 1200 off-map combat group for the allied armor company...

Bodybag2224-Armor Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 11:28:39 pm »

Since I have a "Tropical Storm Flood Day" off from school I'm going to try out the '44 mod. But fortress Europe and BotB are very very very unbalaced. They just deal with a spam of uber units no real strategy which vCOH and EiR (being mostly vCOH with persistancy) has.

Profiles: BoDyBaG2224
M26ArmedCav
ThinTag by TripleTags.com" border="0
http://bodybag2224.myminicity.com/
Pengu Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 12:04:58 am »

although after thinking about it more, vet is needed as persistency or people wouldn't give two shits about their troops... hmmm makes more sense!
I still don't get why people care about vet. Most of it is honestly not that great, or game winning.  In all honesty the more vet people have the shittier they tend to play with it. They care for it so much they become unwilling to lose it to accomplish a goal.
Clock3 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 01:34:50 am »

what makes EiR better is its RPG aspect, you feel like a captain in ww2  with his own company.
Botb is all about tanks, infantry gets raped by a single burst of hmgs
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 02:45:19 am »

EIR hardly feels like a war atm :p.
Rahx Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 02:51:12 am »

cause people are shitting around and playing new mods and stuff..

why is everyone except me retarded?
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2008, 02:52:05 am »

Ehhh 2.301 dates back from may and is only a small update from the original 2.300 update. I've already played this tons and I came to the some conclusion. You'll get bored of it pretty fast.
Wait for the new update that should be coming out soon, that one's going to be MAJOR.
NevyenTLS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2008, 03:47:26 am »

well i must say that botb is a great game and i really enjoy the variance of the units and the new skins.   

FL please come back!!!!   oh and make a spin off for botb eir that would be fantastic!
Thtb Offline
The German Guy
EIR Veteran

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2008, 05:25:01 am »

BoTB is gravely inbalanced, so it would NOT EVER work as good as EiR.

QFT.

UnLimiTeD Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:52 am »

And don't forget the cake!
 Wink Cheesy

I still encountered HMG spam..  and my M36 got killed by 2 stugs, while getting one shot of.

How comes if I play skirmish in "cap strategic marks" Axis ALWAYS win, even if I'm only bunkering and 1 hard, 1 expert Ai vs. 2 hard 1 expert, or was it 2 expert one hard? 

However, in Annihilation, I tend to get swarmed to death in 10 minutes, and my mates aswell.

Hey, it's not going to happen
TorJadoTLS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2008, 06:57:32 am »

I've  played a lot of Bulge games with Mystalin recently, and we've foudn the m36 overpowered. It can like 2-3 hit a king tiger.
Clock3 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 07:11:29 am »

dont play botb play RNL!
AirborneCommander Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2008, 04:42:36 am »

Alright, after playing a few games of BotB, I have come to the conclusion that while BotB features many new units and expands on certain parts of the game design, it lacks the fast paced and fluid gameplay that EiR has to offer. There are many negative aspects that are hidden behind the eye candy that brings BotB down.

First off, BotB still features base building. EiR gets rid of the base building and put you straight into the combat. This is the basis for which EiR was developed on and it has been a successful concept that really gives the player an enjoyable experience. EiR also offers much more customibility where BotB still restricts you what is given at your current tier. This means no surprises and if you're crack 1v1 automatcher, then you know how easy it is to predict what your opponent has at a given map and at a given time.

Next, BotB has horrid balance issues. While this is acceptable for a beta, it is not very fun if you're trying to win. For an example, grenades on either side will kill anyone in its blast radius. Considering that squad sizes have been increased, it makes dodging grenades really difficult. For 25 MU, you can effectively wipe out 200 or so manpower. This, coupled with the fact that reinforcement cost and time has remained static, means while it is still barely cost efficient to reinforce squads, it is not very time efficient. HMGs are also overpowered in the fact that a single burst can kill 3-4 men and to make matters worst, the range has been increase to the point that the infantry squad cannot return fire. I've seen a single burst from a .30 Cal kill 3 men out of a Grenadier squad in a single burst from the normal vCoH sniper range. A competitive game can quickly turn into a slow stare off as either side is incapable of forcing their way though the layers of HMGs.

Endgame design in BotB is poorly designed and games will quickly turn into whoever can spam the most units from their ultimate call-ins. For 1000 manpower, you get a very sizable force consisting of at least 2 two heavy tanks along with an infantry squad and depending on doctrine, light vehicle/light tank/heavy tank. In EiR, close games often end with the players using the best of their wits in order to compensate for dwindling reserves. This is the true test of skill and the outcome will usually and almost always leave both sides ending the battle with a final "gg" to each other.

Now, BotB isn't a bad mod. In fact, I would advise some of you to go download the mod right now and play it. There are many innovations that really sets BotB from the other mods. Doctrine abilities will completely dictate your mid-late game. This is something that EiR lacks as despite the doctrine choices offered, EiR will never go as far in depth with their doctrines as BotB has. There are many interesting units that really flesh out both side. Playing as the US is equally as fun as playing the Wehrmacht. As the Allies, you can get a nice selection of units including AT Squads (4 men Rifle squad with 2 Bazookas; something EiR should have), Scouts (3 men squad with a nice sight radius and the ability to camo in cover), and many other nice units that really makes the US unique and sets it aside from a basic Wehrmacht build without all the fancy units.

My final verdict for BotB is that is an enjoyable mod, but only if you can deal with the numorous balance issues. Do not expect to play the game competitively, instead, play the game for fun. If you have time on your hand, go mass an enormous amount of tanks (quite easily done once you get the large call-ins) and watch them wreck mass carnage. However, I cannot agree that BotB Mod > EiR. While BotB offers a fresh experience, it does not offer the fast fluid gameplay that we have all come to known as EiR.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:46:04 am by AirborneCommander » Logged
Smithy17 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2008, 05:07:13 am »

You should get a job as a game reviewer theta (you are theta aren't you?)
Skunker Offline
Koenigstiger Panzerfuehrer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2008, 09:08:17 am »

FL please come back!!!!   oh and make a spin off for botb eir that would be fantastic!

QFT, please man come back and finish 2.0 or let the community finish 2.0. We really want to see further improvements to EiR, it's one of the best mods that have been made for any game.

M4 Sherman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2008, 09:23:10 am »

EIR and BOTB mod have no competion. EIR beats BOTB in the most important catergory.  Innovation.  Roll Eyes BOTB Mod is not nearly as innovating as EIR. Thats what captured our eyes was the "new" features EIR brought. Its not the same old vcoh covered up with new units and skins. EIR brought us in and kept us because it was different.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way round, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise.
Adolf Hitler
Bodybag2224-Armor Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2008, 10:06:04 am »

Sigh, M36 is still an M10 with the name M36 Slugger and a wtfpwn gun.

This is how a BoTB game goes: Cap fuel, get tanks, win.
CommanderNewbieTLS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2008, 11:45:48 am »

BotB is fun.  It's definately not better than EIR, it's simply different.  Both are great, though clearly EIR has more entertainment in the long run.  It's also got more refined gameplay.
UnLimiTeD Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2008, 12:29:34 pm »

In BotB  the colors are weird.
I once in a 3v3 had my teammate in dark red (maroon) and an enemy in light teal.
Confusing, I tell you.

My newest find though is simply stunning: No color:
Enemy units of that player were hardly recognizeable on the minimap, being just a black, empty circle.
No unit names or icons on the battlefield, no visible health bar, if you click on them you can't see the unitname.
It was just slightly darker than nothing, and believe me, it was weird.

btw, botb encourages spam, 2 times I get outspammed by allies fielding a lot of m10s, calliopes and infantry, in mindless swarms, and my 2 Jagdpanthers get killed by 3 m10s, after 2 tries I took SS and just pumped out Grenadiers. The enemy responded by sending swarms of literally a half dozen hmgs, at best backed up by a squad of engys, that died horribly when rushing into my teammates base defense.
Same with the M8s, they had more than 10 on the field at the same time.

Sort of Bug:
The med bunker needed less than 8 volks to pump out a volks squad, 2 rifle and one armored infantry squad shot at them, volks died like flies, but their numbers grew over time.
Got 4 volks squads out of one Cheesy
SnarksTLS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2008, 02:51:14 pm »

You should get a job as a game reviewer theta (you are theta aren't you?)

Aye, that was me, Theta. That was my Airborne company and this is my TLS company.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc